PC Hardware forum

General discussion

upgrade of cpu and memory.....now no post

I've got an old system that I'm using for some CAD work.

The system is a Gigabyte GA 7ZX motherboard with Socket A for AMD Duron/Athlon processor; a VIA KT133/686A chipset, with support for PC133 SDRAM .

I did something very simple ---- I replaced the CPU Duron 900 with a Duron 1200 and I added a stick of 256 memory. I made sure that the CPU and memory pieces were compatible with the motherboard.

The machine will not pass the POST.

I took out the memory and put the old processor back in......no POST
I took all peripherals off line and added them one at a time.....no POST
I replaced the power supply......no Post
I replaced the motherboard with a brand new one exact model.....no POST
I pulled the video card and checked it.......no POST
I switched the new CPU back in.....no POST
I switched out the memory sticks one at a time....no POST

I'm stumped, any ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrade of cpu and memory.....now no post
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrade of cpu and memory.....now no post
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Sure your MB BIOS supports the new CPU ??

In reply to: upgrade of cpu and memory.....now no post

Collapse -
Bios and new CPU

In reply to: Sure your MB BIOS supports the new CPU ??

When I took out the new CPU and replaced it with the original there was still no Post so the problem must be other than the Bios. Although, it's still possible that the bios may need upgrading to accept the Duron 1200. I just need a post so I can get at the Bios

Collapse -
We had a GA 7ZX

In reply to: upgrade of cpu and memory.....now no post

It suffered from BAD CAPS (type that at google.) Sadly it failed during such an upgrade. The cost of the new board was the end.

Collapse -
bad caps not an issue

In reply to: We had a GA 7ZX

The original motherboard did have slightly bulged caps and that was the main reason that I replaced it with a new board. The capacitors on the new board are good so I've ruled that out.

Collapse -
Those CPUs were known for

In reply to: bad caps not an issue

Going bye bye if you didn't put the heatsink and compound on just so. Also many cracked the cpu cores when putting on the heatsink. Those were not good for do it yourselfers.

If you strip it down to just board, CPU+HSF, power supply and a speaker and it does not beep you are looking at the 4 possible bad parts.

Collapse -
CPU possible problem

In reply to: Those CPUs were known for

It's looking like the CPU might be the problem. The initial upgrade was just the CPU and memory, that's all I touched. I just find it hard to believe that both CPU's would have been destroyed since I was maticulous about the transfer paste and installation of chip.

Collapse -
Why do you suspect the CPU?

In reply to: CPU possible problem

My test only brings it down to 4 parts. On the motherboard are a few things such as jumpers and that battery. You can check the jumpers and the battery with your voltmeter. Too low and many boards don't boot. Same for the CMOS CLEAR jumper.
Bob

Collapse -
ESD

In reply to: Why do you suspect the CPU?

Were you wearing an ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) strap when you replaced the CPU and Memory ? Was your power plug still plugged in.
I wiped out two CPU's by NOT following ESD procedures.

When you attach your ESD strap to the computer, it needs to still be plugged into the wall so that you have a ground path through the ground pin on the power plug.

This post is really only for future replacement, it does not fix your current problem. I agree with the person who told you to try just MOBO, CPU + Heat sink, and speaker and see if you hear BIOS beep errors.

Good luck

Collapse -
Duron beeps

In reply to: ESD

With the system stripped down to board, processor and power supply there are three beeps, which I presume indicates a base 64K RAM failure. Upon insertion of ram (the ram is good, and has been checked) then it's back to square one, and no beeps no POST. The processor is good as it works with other boards. So.....the system does respond to no ram with a beep code but goes dead with ram installed.

Collapse -
Then one more part...

In reply to: Duron beeps

Change the motherboard and re-test.

Collapse -
Double, triple check that RAM

In reply to: Duron beeps

The RAM maybe seated improperly. Take it out and put it back in again. You could have a RAM mismatch. The wrong RAM or have them placed in the slots incorrectly. Usually, the larger MBs goes toward the CPU. Check the manufactures web site for the details. Also, see the manufactures web site concerning those beeps. Do not assume. Be sure.

Your running CAD on this PC? I wouldn't spend a dime on it. Time for a new one and you'll be glad you did.

Collapse -
Ram good

In reply to: Double, triple check that RAM

The board has been tested with several different ram sticks all of them confirmed good on other machines and the motherboard manual basically says the system is not fussy about size or order of memory stick. It's an old system but it's the software that I'm trying to save as I don't have many of the original disks.

Collapse -
Is it possible to move the hard drive?

In reply to: Ram good

You would need a compatible PC. Some programs might move, some might not. Your call. Might be worth a shot.

Yes, the RAM might be good but is it good on your PC? May not be compatible contact crucial too see.

http://www.crucial.com/store/drammemory.aspx

See specifications here as an example:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT2KIT51264AC667

Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2)
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-5300
Specs: DDR2 PC2-5300 ? CL=5 ? Unbuffered ? NON-ECC ? DDR2-667 ? 1.8V ? 512Meg x 64 ?

What they mean:

http://www.crucial.com/support/mem_type.aspx?type=package&value=choose

"The devil is in the details."

If no, then replace the board as Bob suggests. $$$ Sad lost.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.