PC Hardware forum

Question

Upgrade of Acer Aspire XC 600 Desktop!?!

by WillWACCM / April 25, 2013 1:05 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade of Acer Aspire XC 600 Desktop!?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade of Acer Aspire XC 600 Desktop!?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I don't see any overclock feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

As to the Windows question, I now can say I see no difference between the 2 OSes. Benchmarks seem too close to call. So close I'd defer to which costs less.

Since this is for gaming you may want to look at the Radeon model that does not tap the PSU hard. It's in this link.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

(It's the Radeon HD 7750)
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Is the PSU really that important? :D And why?
by WillWACCM / April 25, 2013 11:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes. Why? Many can't replace the PSU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 1:55 AM PDT

So folk tend to like the one that doesn't force you to change it.

Collapse -
New PC find? Better specs or what? :)
by WillWACCM / April 26, 2013 4:26 AM PDT

What do you then think of this PSU, GPU and CPU?
What games are NOT! Playable on this PC

Collapse -
Answer
Review specs and compare
by Willy / April 25, 2013 1:20 AM PDT

First off, pick win7 for gaming as any conflicts or difficulties maybe known or resolved for gaming related ones. Further, win8 so far hasn't really offer what it can do or anyone really hawking the great OS becoming a super gaming platform w/o using newer apps or games. Win8 also would have to better supported as new OSes tend to become more demanding on their own.

You're looking at a Acer desktop model and OEM tend NOT to be the best gaming platform unless offered as a gaming PC. If this isn't suggested to be that, then consider it limited. Then you want to OC, again OEM may lag though it could be OC'ed just don't expect great leaps.

You're better finding a PC that actually states it is a gaming platform. Usually some 3rd party builder and select from them. They are usually more expensive but also the work is already done and matching of components is a good one. You should be able to look at their specs and see what a good gaming PC consists of and find a matching PC that at least starts out good. Also, any gaming PC, better be well cooled, it's a MUST!

My answer may not seem to answer your ! directly but gives you the idea or suggestion what is best overall. Do the legwork and find a PC that best matches your needs. Don't settle on cost alone, pick a PC that in the long fits your needs.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Not looking for a EXTREME GAMING DESKTOP! :D
by WillWACCM / April 25, 2013 11:44 PM PDT

So, i don't get it? Why is Windows 8 64bit not as good as Win7?

And, i am not really going to use the PC for big games, only like Counter Strike Source and Minecraft, but what fps would i get in Minecraft if i was Far? Happy

And last but not least what kind of PC would you then suggest me, for the same money! Grin

Thanks for your answers! Grin

Collapse -
Don't get me started.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2013 1:57 AM PDT

Windows 8 dropped XP Mode and more. MSFT was also behaving like a bully over the opening screen.

There's more but since we can add/fix things, for most folk I suggest they decide by the dollars they spend.
Bob

Collapse -
IMHO, it boils down...
by Willy / April 26, 2013 2:15 AM PDT

When you do gaming it needn't be in extreme mode to DEMAND from the PC sources to give all. What happens, is I find gamers don't back down from to be slower or settle for less than capable. Gaming tends to push a PC into limits or prolonged play causing the PC to be "stressed" until the weakest link finally gives in. Regardless, if you don't play that much, playing games will always be in the "want" column of usage. The less you play will keep the PC into longer life cycle, hopefully. It's like driving the family van at NASCAR every other weekend w/o special prep other than changing the oil.

Money???, well you have to figure your budget. Let's be clear here, only you know what you can afford. That said, finding a "budget PC" is easy, buy in your range. If it so happens to provide all you need, then great if not, sorry. If it fails because you paid x-amount because in real usage you wanted a top x-amount result, just realize that. And yes, only you know what it takes to do what you need it to do. Unfortunately, I can advise on cost and find ALL too often the cheapest PC gets brought, when maybe for $100 more it really would have been more assured and yes it comes to that. I suggest you shy away from OEM brands because if you plan to upgrade or boost it's level of performance may not be as easy as a more generic DIY type PC, that just lends itself to upgrades. A decent mtrbd. alone costs $200+ and that's w/o the cpu. You can see how costs add-up but in the long run see a better and more user friendly PC to maintain. I suggest you review what a DIY website offers and compare that against any OEM builds. Use Amazon, Newegg, CyberPowerpc, Alienware, and DigitalStorm and just check what's inside the PC to compare. Dell and HP offer more intense PCs as well, but don't look for bargains, maybe returns(refurbs), etc. for resale.

As for Win8, it's better for tablet or typical non-desktop type, IMHO. It's still too new but if you want it, then get it. I find win7 delivering quite well and really win8 hasn't impressed me at all. Check websites, for "opinions" on that topic to get a feel of it all. Understand, if it runs great in win7, you can at a later date upgrade to win8, but that's up to you, now or later sorta thing.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
What about this?
by WillWACCM / April 26, 2013 12:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Decent PC
by Willy / April 26, 2013 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What about this?

It seems like to me a low-budget PC, though to you it's pricey. It offers pretty much what can be a decent PC and looks like it can be upgraded at a later date. It's to me a build from parts from a 3rd party builder. If that pricing it typical in your area, then consider in that regard. I looked at the mtrbd. installed and is very much up to date and can last some time for you. That same PC would be about $600-700+ in the US. The only thing I didn't like was that it came with a 500gb HD, 1Tb is pretty much std. nowadays, but if that suits you, OK.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
500 gb GPU?
by WillWACCM / April 26, 2013 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Decent PC

When you say 500 GB HD? Are you talking about the GPU?

What do you think the FPS would be on Minecraft with the render distance to far?

What games would the FPS be REALLY bad (not playable) on this computer?

And i will buy Windows 8! Grin

Do you know any others PC's for gaming on the same price level or under?
Happy

Collapse -
Make your choice
by Willy / April 27, 2013 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: 500 gb GPU?

You want better FPS, then get a better video card AND a PSU that supports it. As for 500gb HD, that refers to the hard drive.

As for pricing, since you're another locale, you need to find what's available in your area. Again compare pricing and what you get. Understand at a later date you can upgrade for better experience, whic is why for gaming its always good to start w/o having an OEM type system. I don't think I can offer any more than that.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Upgrade later? An EASY option?
by WillWACCM / April 27, 2013 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Make your choice

Would it be easy to upgrade the things you said or is that a massive operation? Happy

Collapse -
On what?
by Willy / April 28, 2013 12:51 AM PDT

Until you make your choice and buy something then will any possible upgrade path be done. I've already advised on how to make or decide on what's possibility best to do that, it's now up to you to proceed. good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Better specs than the other PC i showed you guys?
by WillWACCM / April 26, 2013 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Decent PC

Does it have better specs, gpu, cpu and the other stuff? Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.