Desktops forum

General discussion

Upgrade Help, Please Check My Setup

by sbaig / November 22, 2004 10:00 AM PST

Setup Option 1
Intel Xeon (Nocona) 2.80 GHz
Supermicro X6DAL-XG-O
4 x 512 MB DDR333 ECC Reg. (Have @ Home)
LSI Logic Ultra 320 Controller (Have @ Home)
4 x 36.6 GB Ultra 320 HDDs (Have @ Home)
Sapphire Radeon X300SE
Apex Super Case w/ 350W PSU
Generic Floppy Drive
Optorite DVD +/- RW
LG 52x CD-ROM Drive (Have @ Home)
Generic Keyboard (Have @ Home)
Microsoft Optical Mouse (Have @ Home)
Windows 2000 Server (Have @ Home)

Setup Option 2 (Changes From Setup Option 1 Listed Only)
Tyan Tiger K8W
AMD Opteron 144
Rosweill FX5200

Any suggestions? This will be used for SQL and Oracle work as well as Linux. What can I change to make this better?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade Help, Please Check My Setup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade Help, Please Check My Setup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In either case, the 350 Watt supply is too small.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 10:36 AM PST

I would not bother with the Xeon unless you are getting it for a steal or going dual CPU.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: In either case, the 350 Watt supply is too small.
by sbaig / November 22, 2004 11:06 AM PST

My son runs a P4 2.8 oced to 3.2 on a 350W PSU.

I wasn't leaning towards the Xeon anyways since they get beatin most benches and are more expensive than the Opterons.

Are there any PCIe boards for the Opteron?

In terms of performance, an Opteron 144 is equal to what Xeon?

What can I improve other than the psu?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 11:20 AM PST

All 350W supplies are not created equal and it's not a place to scrimp. If you won't take my advice to boost this, then any other advice will fall flat as well. Your list included more than a CPU with many drives and more.

It's much like driving your car at 100 MPH. It just doesn't last very long. If your car was built to run at say 150MHP, then it would do fine.

With the list you supplied, the big power supply and a DUAL CPU could be king.

Bob

Collapse -
by sbaig / November 22, 2004 7:46 PM PST

I'll up the PSU to 450W. I don't know if I need DUAL CPU. Problem is that if I go with a processor that needs registered memory, then I won't have to buy the memory. I pulled out 1 GB of DDR266 ECC Reg. and 2 GB of DDR333 ECC Reg. out of machines at work that were being trashed.

What else can I change? I don't really know about the dual CPU setup, any advantages to it?

Collapse -
What is the goal?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 8:09 PM PST

With the recycling going on, the goal of this project is unknown to me.

At first I thought you were trying to be an entry level database server, but then you reveal you don't know why a dual CPU would give you an edge.

Let's start over and tell what the goal is.

Let me be blunt and write that a single Xeon of the speed you noted could easily benchmark slower than a new 3+GHz P4 HT and the RAM tends to not pay off past 512M. Even on databases I've seen.

Been there, done that.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What is the goal?
by sbaig / November 22, 2004 8:14 PM PST
In reply to: What is the goal?

I work as an SQL and Oracle DBA. I have to work at home too. This is to be used for a server on a home network. The other machines on the network will be on Pentium III and Celeron (don't comment on the Celeron). I have a limited budget. I will not go over $700 and that is an if. I'm going with the Opteron because a Xeon is simply a Pentium 4 with 64-Bit extensions. Where as the Opteron actually is something different. What can I do? Any suggestions?

Collapse -
What I would do...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 8:43 PM PST
In reply to: Re: What is the goal?

After chasing such setups for years, a portable MySQL server we use to demonstrate realtime data collection from dataloggers runs on some 733 MHz VIA all in one board with 512M and a single 40G IDE 7200 generic drive. So no ground pounder is needed if one just wants to do realtime SQL.

You may want to look at what I would do...

NEVER SKIMP on the power and look at the Opteron since you get the next generation without the price. Or get the Athlon 64 since I believe Oracle has a version ready for the Suse 9.1/9.2 64-bit Linux. You'd step ahead with ease.

The goal is a little less fuzzy, but the one lesson I've learned is that if you skimp on the power supply you will learn why I noted it.

Then you can work up a spreadsheet to see what costs less.

You don't want to know I picked a HP desktop with the Athlon 64, 512M and other things and it just works. I wouldn't have saved that much, but did save time and the system (Suse, MySQL) was running that same day. You may have more time that I had.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What I would do...
by sbaig / November 23, 2004 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: What I would do...

Getting the Athlon 64 is the more expensive option since I will have to buy memory for it. I've decided to go for the Opteron 144 since I have more than enough memory for it. I've changed my case to a better one that has a better PSU (450W, I believe).

Are there any PCIe 16x Socket 940/Opteron boards? (Please just answer the question, I know the technology behind it and the reasons not to go PCIe as of right now, but still please answer my question.)

Collapse -
Re: What I would do...
by sbaig / November 23, 2004 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: What I would do...

Actually, I don't know if I should actually trust AMD this time around. I have had a bad experience with AMD. An Athlon XP 3000+ that I did not like in terms of performance, curse that thing (sorry). I think I will go for the Xeon. Shed some light on the subject of AMD and Intel (no Flaming)?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?