Computer Help forum

Question

Upgrade from Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16170 to Final

by CB123CB231 / April 11, 2017 4:20 PM PDT

I want to upgrade my Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16170 PC to the final of the Creators Update now that it is out. Except that in Windows Update, it is not showing, and the Update Assistant doesn't show it either.
Please avoid reinstalling, or rolling back to original version. I just want to upgrade to the final.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade from Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16170 to Final
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade from Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16170 to Final
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What's the rush ?
by itsdigger / April 11, 2017 4:41 PM PDT

Is your computer running ok ?
I wouldn't care if the updates didn't load until next week.
Everything's running ok here ....

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by CB123CB231 / April 12, 2017 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: What's the rush ?

My PC is running fine, but the final version is out, so I thought I could get it in Windows Update, but it says up to date.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That update is being staggered.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 11, 2017 4:23 PM PDT

Due to the pressure on Microsoft's servers. Hang on a little while.
Dafydd.

PS. Actually you might have to reload 10 using the media creator tool and carry out previous updates first.

Mod edit.

Post was last edited on April 11, 2017 4:34 PM PDT

Collapse -
Answer
Well, Maybe...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 11, 2017 4:43 PM PDT

It's possible to download the Creators Update ISO from the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool page, and it can be used to upgrade an older version of Windows 10, (I've done it a couple of times in the last day or two with test machines.), but I'm not sure you're going to get away with upgrading such an early Insider Preview build. It's was available/OK in July of 2015 when the original RTM of Windows 10 was released, but you'll have to test to see if setup will allow you to do so. I'm not sure it will activate. Also, you'll need to void yourself from the Insider Preview program.

Basically, you download the ISO, then mount the ISO and run the setup.exe file to upgrade the current installation. (You can also make a bootable USB or DVD, (no need to boot it though), but you'll still need to run the setup.exe to make the upgrade.

The link below might get you headed in the right direction.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how-turn-your-windows-10-insider-preview-windows-10-rtm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on April 12, 2017 4:59 PM PDT

Collapse -
Anything else besides ISOs?
by CB123CB231 / April 12, 2017 5:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Well, Maybe...

I know the deal with activation, and I don't want to risk it. Any other options?

Collapse -
Re: activation
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 12, 2017 5:37 AM PDT

What's the "deal with activation"? You want to run an non-activated version? That would be strange.
And why a risk? You can always to back to your latest image.

Collapse -
No, the deal with activation....
by CB123CB231 / April 12, 2017 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: activation

I mean that it might remove my licence, and I will not risk that.

Collapse -
I have never heard that
by itsdigger / April 12, 2017 6:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
If You're Not Going To Risk The Activation Issue, Then....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 12, 2017 7:18 PM PDT

...you're basically sunk. In order to upgrade to the newest version, you're going to need a boot disk, ISO, or one of the new Windows 10 Version 1703 installers but it may, or may not, require a special activation.

Also, there is a possibility you could wipe the drive and reinstall your previous version of Windows 7, or 8.1, (that's assuming you had such installed prior to your Insider Preview), then use the Windows 7/8.1 authentication key to install the latest version of Windows 10 by simply upgrading at the Windows Media Creation Tool site I listed earlier. Read about the process in the link below:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-free-upgrade-is-still-available-using-windows-7-and-8-product-keys/

But that still involves a risk of things not working out right. If you're unwilling to test out the waters, your only way forward is to contact Microsoft and see if they can offer any options.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on April 12, 2017 8:01 PM PDT

Collapse -
Answer
Sit tight
by Bob__B / April 12, 2017 11:50 PM PDT

Msft is sending this out in groups.
The first group will be the testers.
The second group will get the improved version and be testers.
The third group will get the more improved version and be testers.....etc/etc.

Be thankful if it does not show up on winupd for 60 days.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!