HolidayBuyer's Guide

Deals forum

Question

Upgrade from PDA to tablet or netbook???

by alveor16 / August 25, 2011 4:05 PM PDT

I'm neither a luddite [not yet] nor a techie geek. I do own a PDA and Blackberry and these two give me all the mobile connectivity I need: email and news [strictly text, can and do live without mobile rich media]. But the folks at HP, in their collective stupidity, have decided to exit the PC/PDA biz which means that it's time to consider upgrading to one of those gizmos that do all things new-media even though most of it is wasted on me but won't apologize for it. Back to the point: can someone suggest a good alternative to my iPAQ? Here's what I value most about it and would like to have in its successor [whether netbook or tablet]: portability and WiFi capability, word-processing and spread-sheeting; last but not least, affordability. And that's all I care about and need. Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade from PDA to tablet or netbook???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade from PDA to tablet or netbook???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
And why folk flocked to the 99 fire sale.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2011 5:21 AM PDT

While I doubt the tablets today will rival a laptop for word processing and spread sheets, you will find that this 99 fire sale item has one of the best browsers in the tablet offerings today.
Bob

Collapse -
99 fire sale flock
by bbbbbobber / January 7, 2012 2:34 AM PST

Sorry - I didn't make it to the fire sale and I don' t understand the answer. What specific product are you endorsing or recommending to this fellow alveor16?

Collapse -
It's no longer available.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: 99 fire sale flock

Since it was only available then and not now the entire discussion is not going to make any sense.

My reply was to them about the HP fire sale of that day.
Bob

Collapse -
PDA replacement?
by bbbbbobber / January 8, 2012 6:00 AM PST

Thanks very much for the clarification. With your experience, do you see a non-cloud mobile phone alternative to the Palm in view? I'm particularly interested in the PIM dimensions like contacts, notes and calendar, rather than internet access. I'm also one of those that has migrated from the Palm PDAs now to the Palm Centro, but since HP is dropping any support for the Palm Desktop software and synchronization, I'm kind of at sea as to alternatives. I really have used the calendar and notes extensively.

Collapse -
I'd start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2012 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: PDA replacement?

This one is not on topic and I do have to take a little issue about that support. Palm Desktop still works so why is support required?

Anyhow, please start your new topic and discussion.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.