Avast & AVG forum

General discussion

Upgrade from AVG free 7.5 repeated failures

by boxerjockey / November 4, 2009 4:07 AM PST

Greetings. After receiving notice that AVG free 7.5 no longer protects me, attempts to Download AVG free 8.5/9.x and install have failed numerous times. This XP SP2 machine with dial-up at around 40 kbs would really like to be protected. Can't afford broadband at the moment. I suppose I could just run it barefoot and reload Windows in case of infection. I've really appreciated AVG over the years.

The AVG download manager will at times recognize the previously downloaded files and acknowledge the fact that they exist on the local drive, suggesting that I might be able to complete the package. When activating download after the acknowledgement, alas, it starts the download over and I time out again and again. I have access to broadband elsewhere, where I could download the pertinent files and transfer via flash drive to the old home machine, but that hasn't worked either. The AVG installation program takes me through accepting the license agreement and then fails to recognize the file header where, presumably, the installation files reside. The suggestion at AVG's web to enter the "Tools" menu and set software to dial up doesn't seem to exist on the 'free' version. Perhaps, it is no longer possible to use AVG with lowly dial-up connection.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade from AVG free 7.5 repeated failures
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade from AVG free 7.5 repeated failures
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Upgrade from AVG free 7.5 repeated failures
by Ondrej_AVG / November 4, 2009 7:17 PM PST

Hi,
please download this file (direct link) - http://free.avg.com/download-file-ins-afg-free on computer with broadband internet and transfer it to your on flash card. Then uninstall AVG 7.5 on your station and run the transferred AVG9 installation file (it should be named avg_free_stf_en_90_698a1730.exe).

Thanks

Collapse -
Thank you
by boxerjockey / November 21, 2009 5:43 AM PST

I'll do that and I truly appreciate the assistance and the time it took to provide it.

Collapse -
Repeated failures
by Vectus / November 21, 2009 2:09 PM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Had the same experience. Core 2 Duo HP. Running on dial up. Took many hours at about 5kb effective speed. Tried the free version which finally downloaded, wold not completly install. Tried the full 30 day freebie version. Downloaded finally but would not completely install. Tried Cheking to see if 8.5 was still showing up. It was but with a big red sign attached. Reset to three days ago. That finally worked. Back to where I was. I hope! Dial up just does not seem to work.
Given the other stuff I have read here, however, I just may decide not to mess with It any more and install somthing else prior to Dec.1.

Collapse -
Ureka
by boxerjockey / November 21, 2009 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: Repeated failures

Almost fixed. Did the Millionaire thing (dialed a friend). Downloaded AVG 8.5 from her software folder to a CD, since I forgot my flasher(thankfully, she saved instead of just running it). Installed perfectly. Now, I only have to manage to get the virus update definitions, which it appears will take quite some time on dial-up. Oh well, at least I'm no longer getting the annoying crimson warning from AVG, five times, everytime I boot.

I truly appreciate that AVG provides a product without compensation, by the way. Thanks AVG

Suggestion: Perhaps AVG could allow the use of one of the download managers that allow us to pick up where we left off in the event of a time-out, et al., eh? Wouldn't that be wonderful for us poor ol' dial up users.

Collapse -
download problems
by Vectus / November 22, 2009 4:06 PM PST
In reply to: Ureka

Fired computer up this AM, AVG pulled up but would not function.Scan process wuld not work. Deleted everything I could find and was able to download Avira. Seems to be good to go. I am going to leave well enough alone at this point. I had both avg8.5 and avira in this machine prior to these problems, no trouble with either although I seem to recall installing avg first, prior to the Norton expiring, again with no problem. All on dial up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?