Question

Upgrade for HP Pavilion p7-1414 Desktop PC

I just have this computer (HP Pavilion p7-1414 Desktop PC). My problem is the ping (fps). Fps is uasually low down ~30, and sometimes it suddenly stuck and I could not do anything when I play Dota 2 . I think of getting a new graphic card. But, I don't know that do I have to upgrade the power supply also. I already upgraded up to window 10, is that a problem ?

Can anyone help me how to solve the problem of the ping ?

Unless can you guys help me how to upgrade the graphic card and the Power Supply just for Dota 2.

Thank you so much, and forgive me because my English is bad.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Upgrade for HP Pavilion p7-1414 Desktop PC
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upgrade for HP Pavilion p7-1414 Desktop PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Ping is usuall just 2 things.

1. The connection to the internet (we'll need to know more.)
2. Any security suite that examines all packets.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03499587 shows 6 different APUs so I'd like to hear which APU it is. These APUs in the A8 and A10 are "OK" but not great at gaming. You find you have to reduce settings and be very careful about memory configuration (always pairs!) to avoid low FPS numbers.

- Collapse -
(NT) Mine is A8 . And I have 12Gb of Ram (Upgraded)
- Collapse -
Gaming

Run an internet speed test and see if your getting close to what your paying for.

Tell about this ram I suspect you have a mis-mash of sticks and that won't help your igp.
How many sticks?
What is the size (GB) of each stick?
What is the speed of each stick?

- Collapse -
4 sticks

Thanks so much for your help, I just opened the case and see.. I have 2 stick with 4gb (1600) , and 2 stick with 2gb(1333) .. i guess. Is that any problem ?

- Collapse -
Here's your choice

Spend 40 bucks and fit the machine with the proper ram.
That will get you 1 step up the gaming ladder.

Spend 150+ bucks for a psu and gpu.
That will get you 2 or 3 steps up the gaming ladder

Your call.

- Collapse -
How can I upgraded the ram ?

What should I do with the ram, I already have 4 sticks full slots of ram. Which one do you recommend for ram, VGA and PSU. Thanks

- Collapse -
Ram
- Collapse -
New Ram

I replaced the old one with the new one as 4gbx2 (1333)... But, the speed is at 11000 MB/s.

- Collapse -
My ram is 1600

My new ram is 1600, but the computer set it at 1333, I dont know why... help me

- Collapse -
Yup

This has to do with the machine setting the ram speed to the speed of the slowest stick.

If your feeding that apu at 11000 MB/s that's not going to help your gaming.

Do what I said above.
Remove all the old ram and install the kit.
Do not add any of the old ram back.

- Collapse -
Kit of Kingston

I did, I have a kit of Kingston 4gx2OC/1600. I put it in slot 1 and 3. I test again , and the speed is still at 11000mb/s , also the bus is at 1333.

- Collapse -
Kit

Is this a new kit you just bought or is this 2 sticks of the original ram?

- Collapse -
New kit

I took out the original ram before I put this new one. This is 4gx2 OC of Kingston bus 1600

- Collapse -
New kit

Is there a kingston model number on the package.

4gx2 OC of Kingston bus 1600
Does not seem to find a match.

- Collapse -
khx1600c9d3k2/8gx
- Collapse -
Ram
- Collapse -
Computet stuck

Thanks so much for your time, now I have a problem that is when I play dota, sometimes the computer stuck and I could not do anything except hold the power button... Its happened a few time not too many. What made this problem sir ?

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Since PING is not FPS.

You may want to clarify which one we are going to tackle.

- Collapse -
FPS

Sorry, Actually I mean for the FPS... (Frames per Second)

- Collapse -
FPS on an A8

My son gamed for a few years on the APU A8 but it was good as it could be by me being sure the memory was in pairs. In your machine that should be a pair of 4GB and a pair of 2GB. If that's done the only way to get more FPS is by:

1. Reducing effects in the games.
2. Adding a real dedicated GPU.

I'd look at the Nvidia 750 as a start and if the power supply is up to it the 950.

- Collapse -
Power supply...

Thanks for your help. I want to upgrade, is that power supply fit with the case ? Do I just need to replace ? And put the real graphic card ?

- Collapse -
That discussion looks to have happened.
- Collapse -
Without PSU upgraded

Can I go with any graphic cards that were not required with a stronger PSU ? How about gt 750. I dont think I have enough money to up the PSU. By the way, I just play Dota 2, that's all

- Collapse -
Sorry I thought we covered the 750.

Remember I can never be sure of what PSU is in any PC. I must always pull the cover to check the specs on the PSU.

That's why I can never write it's OK.

But the 750 is your go to card for many PCs where we can't change the PSU.

- Collapse -
How about the mainboard sir?

Do i need to change the mainboard *** well for the VGA which one I gonna upgrade

- Collapse -
So far

I've never had to. The stock model you have, has no VGA card. I know it sounds technical but APU's have their own graphics system and no card to change out.

If you change the main board, the costs are going to skyrocket as you need that, CPU, RAM, and another 100 buck Windows OS. So I would not do that.

- Collapse -
(NT) New
- Collapse -
New Ram

My new ram is 1600, but the computer set it at 1333, I dont know why... help me... I tried to set up on Bios but did not see any options about the Ram... I think this Mainboard was block it... I just can use the original ram already have, but It is wierd with 2 sticks 2gb and 4gb

- Collapse -
I would not change the stock RAM.

I would add the 750 GPU.

- Collapse -
PSU

There are not required for a PSU, but I should have a stronger one, right ?

CNET Forums