Laptops forum

Tip

Upgrade Dell Studio 1558 Motherboard and Process

Hi there,
I had purchased Dell Studio 1558 (I-5 1st generation, 15.5 " http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/servicetag/3cnx4bs/configuration) in year 2011 and Dell didnt deliver what they promised as after two year it started throwing blue screen. Display is working fine.I need advise if I should buy Macbook which will be 4 times expansion then upgrade. I want to use SSD hard disk, 32 GB ram. I need expert advise on it so that I can use my existing Laptop outer cover and place Motherboard in it with latest RAM+ Processor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade Dell Studio 1558 Motherboard and Process
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade Dell Studio 1558 Motherboard and Process
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: upgrade

In reply to: Upgrade Dell Studio 1558 Motherboard and Process

1. I fail to see why you are mentioning a Macbook in your question if it's about upgrading a Dell.
2. All you can upgrade in a laptop is (1) add RAM, (2) replace HDD by a larger one or by an SSD.

So it seems after 6 years you want a new laptop. Quite a long lifespan for a laptop.

Collapse -
don't go to that much trouble

Put a Linux distro on it. Have you checked all the videos about linux on youtube lately? My favorite is Mint Linux, but Ubuntu MATE, Zorin OS, Elemetary OS, and some others are excellent desktops to use, and they run faster than windows. You never have to reboot for adding or removing programs. You can block all updates, or just put a check by the ones you want.

A MacBook is good too, if you are wanting something newer. All that's available on new computers with Windows now is probably windows 10. Also the newest computers can't run older windows with certain motherboards that have no driver files for the older window's OS.

There are choices. You can try out many linux distros direct from a DVD if you want, for FREE.

Collapse -
Hardware upgrade

In reply to: don't go to that much trouble

Thank to both of you for your response. My query is more about hardware upgrade.
I understand that my laptop is 6 yrs old but I had have extended warranty where I was keep upgradinghardware till 2014. I want some good solution where I just add motherbard, processor and ram on top of existing box.
So I need your expertise to recommend me on otherboard name/model number which should be compatible with Dell Studio 1558 Laptop, SSD recommendation (128GB) and compatible RAM for I-7 processor.
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: hardware upgrade

In reply to: Hardware upgrade

My answer was about hardware upgrade also.

Collapse -
I'm not sure what you mean

In reply to: Hardware upgrade

Is there something wrong with your laptop? Or is this wanting to use a desktop that is compatible with your laptop?

Collapse -
This is what he wants:

In reply to: I'm not sure what you mean

I need expert advise on it so that I can use my existing Laptop outer cover and place Motherboard in it with latest RAM+ Processor.

As I understand this, he wants to build a new laptop inside the existing case, using the
existing keyboard and screen. That's what I call a challenge.

Collapse -
He will lose his windows

In reply to: This is what he wants:

It won't work on the new motherboard, unless it's an OEM motherboard from Dell computers and then he may still need to get a different OEM installation disc for that particular motherboard, and unless the case is the same, he still won't accomplish it.

It makes more sense pulling a motherboard from a laptop and putting in a desktop case, but who would waste time doing that one either?

Collapse -
You can't

Your machine has a max ram of 8GB.

If you want 32GB go shopping for a new laptop.

You can replace your hdd with a ssd.

You can contact dell and ask if there is a cpu upgrade for your mobo.

Collapse -
"use my existing Laptop outer cover and place Motherboard

"use my existing Laptop outer cover and place Motherboard in it with latest RAM+ Processor"

Simply no. Laptops don't have standard motherboards so what you are asking for isn't possible. Long ago an attempt was made to standardize a laptop where you could swap boards but the price was more than laptops and the consumers din't buy it. It died.

There are folk that don't know this or yell "it shouldn't be this way" but they are just learning how things are. We voted with our wallets and here we are.

-> What you have is usually OK if I change to SSD. I have a story of a 2006 Dell e1505 that we maxed out the RAM to 1GB, replaced the failed HDD with SSD and it would boot and get a web page from cold in 35 seconds. Maybe less. This to me proved how important the move to SSD is.

If you didn't change to SSD on your current Dell, you have left performance locked up.

Collapse -
Build Own Laptop

Thanks to each of you for your valuable advice and the time you spent. As far I can understand and agree, my post is not very clear to many of you but thanks, many of you gave right direction.
So I rephase here ,I want to build a flexible laptop skeleton where I can upgrade Motherboard, RAM or CPU any time. There should not be any bottleneck like motherboard wont feet in skeleton etc. I checked some forums and few people used barebone notebook,did dressing of motherboard, cpu and ram which is really brilliant .
I'm developer and runs heavy jobs on my computer.
I dont know if you will agree but but most of computer manufacture build computer in such a way that will be useless after one/two years and one of most common reason is CPU heat , Blue screen, motherboard outdate. at this stage you buy new laptop and so on. For me, this approach is waste of money. At the end all big companies simple assemble computer parts, polish it and sell it at higher price. I'm sure someone did much better and cheaper approach for building own laptop. I'm just trying to get that thread.
Happy

Collapse -
What you may want to look at

In reply to: Build Own Laptop

Collapse -
Well I will do as you write and disagree.

In reply to: Build Own Laptop

We only have some dozens of laptops at office, home and lab and they do not fail as you noted.

But if you look at the prices for https://www.google.com/search?q=barebone+laptops you find no great deal there and in years it's unsure if they will still be offering new boards and such.

The office here uses gaming laptops for the developers as you get a lot of bang for the dollar.

So there it is. You want a barebone laptop. It should be interesting if you will put your money where your words are.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.