PC Hardware forum

Question

Upgrade computer no image on screen

by Pride1922 / February 18, 2014 9:31 PM PST

Hey guys,

So i just bought a new motherboard and a new processor.

This is my specs now:

Intel i7 4770K
Asus Z87-A
Kingston DDR3 4GB 1333Mhz
Geforce 8800 GTS
Power Supply is a LC6600 5 years old +/-
Ive a chassis fan on the front and back

Everything seems good but i got no image on the screen. No red lights on the board now warnings no nothing, everything is connected good. Double checked everything. Out of ideas now.

Thanks for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade computer no image on screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade computer no image on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The 8800's are failing now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2014 9:34 PM PST

And you have a very old PSU. Try the onboard video (no, I didn't hunt down your system parts) and two other things.

1. Old PSU.
2. Old video card.
3. The usual forgot to remove ALL motherboard mounting posts to be sure only the ones we need are installed gaffe.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
8800 is working
by Pride1922 / February 18, 2014 9:47 PM PST

hey, thanks for your answer.

My graphics card is working, just tested it. Old system works. Anyway i've already tested with onboard graphics card and it still gives no signal on the screen.

Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Still leaves the other 2 usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2014 9:58 PM PST
In reply to: 8800 is working

Did you try it on cardboard? I don't know how many times I find an extra mounting post or that hilarious documentation error where the reset is marked fine on the board but not in the manual.

Here's a link about one of those.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/257366/pc_building_best_practices_hardware.html
"Also, use only as many standoffs as your type of motherboard requires. If you have any additional standoffs underneath the motherboard that don't line up with screw holes, remove them. Extra standoffs underneath a motherboard can cause a short or eventually wear their way through a trace and damage the board."

Collapse -
The board was shorter
by Pride1922 / February 18, 2014 10:12 PM PST

The new board is shorter so i removed the extra pins prior to mounting, ive checked the cpu and the board pins and all seems perfect. I've tried to power it on just with Board processor and ram, using the onboard graphics card. Still its a no show. I've cleared the cmos and unplugged the battery.

I tested my old system and it works. So my only guess atm is the PSU not beeing able to power the system.

The onboard led is green and no other led is turned on.

Collapse -
So the cardboard no case test was not done?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2014 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: The board was shorter

Odd. It's the standard of tests for this.

I didn't mention things from the manual I always see them get right such as the CMOS clear jumper location and such. The 8800 should be the last thing to install.

OK, how about power connections. This looks to be the usual 24 and 8 pin power (two connection) board. Five year old power supplies rarely have the 8 pin power plug.
Bob

PS. "1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)"
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87A/#specifications

Collapse -
PSU is fine
by Pride1922 / February 18, 2014 11:12 PM PST

Hey,

So i went to the store, tested everything and the system runs fine with another processor.

So i was unlucky to get a faulty processor.

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Just a parting tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2014 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: PSU is fine

Always get the CPU in a sealed box. Tray/OEM deals are nice but can be troublesome at times.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?