Desktops forum

General discussion

Upgrade Computer for Digital Home Video Editing

by kmsandrbs / December 27, 2007 2:04 AM PST

Howdy!

I've read a lot on various forums here, and I think I know how I want to move ahead, but just want to get some feedback from others.

My computer system is a little old.
HP Pavillion 734n; Model number: DA192A
Windows XP Home (service pack 2)
AMD Athlon 2400+
Motherboard: FIC AM37
Hard drive: 80GB Ultra DMA 5400 rpm
Memory: 512 PC2100 DDR SDRAM
Video: nVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420

I've had no problems using it. Well, that's not really true. I've had lots of little problems. But never had to completely reconfigure or anything. It has served us fine for what we use it for (surfing the web, some word processing, some game play [mostly older games], watching the occasional movie, pretty basic stuff).

We bought a new digital camcorder recently. We bought one that uses miniDV tapes (based on advice in the CNET camcorder forum, and some other reviews). We plan on keeping the DV tapes as the storage back-up. But we also want to be able to do some editing and recording to DVDs via the computer. The computer has a firewire connection, so we can use that to connect to the camcorder.

I don't plan on doing a lot of editing, but adjusting/fixing a good number of 1-hour home videos is likely. They will not be stored on the computer, just edited there.

Right now (after doing a bunch of clean-up on the hard drive), I have about 20GB of open space (30%). I know, though, that one DV tape converts to about 13GB of space. So, even though not storing, I am concerned that, when I start doing this, my computer will struggle because it will have less than 10% of the HDD available. And, over time, I probably will continue to take up more space on my HDD.

So, I am thinking of adding a second internal HDD. I have space for it, and an 80 wire connector to add another IDE drive.

I'm really looking to do only what I need to to keep things running fairly smoothly with the new planned operations on the computer. So I know that people recommend going to SATA, but it seems to me that, since I am not looking for a huge boost in performance, another IDE drive would be fine (as far as I can tell after looking at the motherboard and it's manual, I do NOT have a SATA connection, or I would go with SATA ... I am planning on sticking with IDE to save the $30+ for the adapter). My current HDD is a Seagate, so I was thinking of adding another 80GB Seagate drive. This semes like, for the near future, it will be plenty of space for us. And, although I don't plan on doing it now (because the motherboard is not RAID compatible and would require an adapter to be purchased), it looks like if I need performance boost in the future, I could get a RAID adapter and it would be better to have two of the same size drives from the same manufacturer (I don't think I can actually get identical drives).

I thought about also adding 512 of memory (I have an open slot), but reading here it does not seem like that will really help.

I am getting a newer video card (with 256 memory), because I did get a somewhat newer game that won't work on my current one.

Given the purpose (ability to edit home digital video), and the current system ... does this seem to be a decent idea? Pointless? Or needs something else to be effective?

Thanks,

Robert

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade Computer for Digital Home Video Editing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade Computer for Digital Home Video Editing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The basics. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 27, 2007 8:01 PM PST

Three things will give that PC a boost.

1.) Up the RAM to the max it will support. You will definately see an improvement.

2.) Get a new, faster, 7,200 RPM HD as the boot drive. If you add a slave make sure it is 7,200 RPM also. See my discussion here http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=276879&messageID=2660652#2660652

3.) You already have this one, the new video card.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Character - Doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Collapse -
Would like to keep using my old HDD ...
by kmsandrbs / December 28, 2007 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: The basics. . .

Thanks!

1) The max for my motherboard is 2 gig. Reading around here, though, it seems like going above 1 gig won't really increase the performance that much. I probably will get the additional 512 (only about $30, will double what I currently have up to 1 gig).

2) So, I am planning on getting a 7200 RPM 80 gig drive ... From what I understand, I should be able to install the new drive as the Slave, clone my current drive, paste that data on the new one, then switch which is Master and Slave (then, I am assuming, delete most if not all of the info off of my current drive, once the new one is working fine). However, this configuration will have my old 5400 RPM drive as the slave ... will that cause significant issues, or just not provide the kind of performance I would get with 2 7200 RPM drives? I really would prefer to use my old hard drive as one of my two. Also ... the link was about the discussion on perpendicular drives ... was that intended to suggest getting a drive which is perpendicular? I actually was planning on the Barracuda as my new HDD (mostly since my current HDD is a Seagate).

Thanks again!

-Robert

Collapse -
I knew I should have written that differently. . .
by Coryphaeus / December 28, 2007 6:10 AM PST

Perpendicular means perpendicular recording instead of longitudinally on the disk platter. Please read more of the discussion, or, in a nutshell, the drive is faster, period. And more data on fewer disks. Here is the 160 I have as slave in my server, a Baracuda http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=Barracuda_7200.10_160_GB&vgnextoid=d330befccde12110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD&vgnextchannel=a32a2f290c5fb010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&reqPage=Model And I have an 80 Gig just like it in my main PC.

Anyway, your other assumptions are correct. Clone the new drive and use the old one as a slave. The difference in RPM will make a small difference, but unless you move Gigabyte files (like I do), you'll likely not notice.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Character - Doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?