Computer Help forum

General discussion

upgrade/activation nightmare

by crockhunter / December 10, 2007 5:50 AM PST

I purchased a laptop computer in the spring of 2005 which came default with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition. This fall, I finally purchased an Apple iMac. I currently attend college and need to still be able to run some software only available for windows XP computers. I figured, upgrade the laptop to windows xp, giving it the ability to have a remote desktop connection, allowing me to still have the ability to use the software and not bother with two different computers. This is where the trouble begins:

- I had the Windows XP upgrade wipe my computer-- hoping to just reinstall the software needed and free up the 100GB of useless docs. Turns out this actually doesn't do as it says, and rather uninstalls all programs on your computer and doesn't delete a single file. Now I'm left with little free memory and no factory installed software.

So the critical software bits missing:
1) Display properties software - my laptop has a special resolution size (1280x800) which when run under windows xp normal screen setup distorts to fit their preset resolutions.
2) No software to use my computer's wireless card. So no wireless internet.
3+) similar software woes, just not as important.

First thought: restore the computer to factory settings to get this essential software back (which as a bonus wipes the drive) and then upgrade to the xp pro.

Problem: the masterminds at averatec do not make recovery cd's for the 4200 series and the only apparent way to recover is the use the software they installed on the computer- which is now uninstalled from the upgrade.

Even better, because i dont want to waste a use of the product key to activate windows xp pro only to restore to home edition, i've tried to find other solutions. unsuccessfully. now, the laptop has run out of trial time for the windows xp pro and wont do a thing without activiation.

i'm looking for any alternative to adding the dual boot to my mac, mainly because i dont want to use up so much of my hard drive space and rather not have anything related to windows installed on such a nice new computer.

Is there anything else i can do to get my laptop back to the original factory settings? I just want it to do something again, I dont even care about getting the xp pro on it anymore.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: upgrade/activation nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: upgrade/activation nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Q
by welrdelr / December 10, 2007 6:29 AM PST

There is an emulator for the MacintoshOS called Q. Download it and run XP within the environment. The system will be a file you can erase or, better yet, you can run it from a USB drive.

Try mounting the laptop with a live cd that has ntfs 3g on it. If the files are accessible, you will be able to copy them and move to a usb key.
If the files are not accessible, you will need to learn how to use Linux/bsd dd-rescue to copy the drive.

There is also the option of:
a) shrinking the NTFS partition (try gparted cd first then knoppix)
\b) committing to this action
c) installing a linux- or bsd if you like a challenge- distroon it.
d) installing grub/ lilo
e) final step: after all of these, you will be able to c dual boot and try to save your files while still having use of the computer.

Collapse -
There was a way to avoid all this. Wish you had asked first
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 6:39 AM PST

Your Mac came with VNC capability so you could have installed VNC on the laptop (for free no less) and saved a lot of time lost.

-> Since Avertec doesn't have restore CDs the road out is costly. You need to get a full retail license of XP (any version will do) then go get drivers from Avertec's web site to get each item to work.

I see this all the time because people forget that such drivers are not on Microsoft's CD.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?