Dell forum

Question

Upgrade 6000D cpu

by nodsirrah / February 22, 2014 5:44 AM PST

I have been running Win 7 on my old Dell 6000D 1.6 GHz CPU with 2 GB ram for a few years but I am bored with how slow it is. I found a good price for an Intel Pentium M Dotham 780 2.26 GHz CPU which would give me 40% increase.
Do I need to do anything other than plug it in?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upgrade 6000D cpu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upgrade 6000D cpu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
There's a lot to check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade 6000D cpu

But the clues/detail are so slim in your post I can't begin.

The Pentium M is usually for laptops and may use another socket so you can check that out without my help.
Same for Intel's spec on power.

Finally you need to see if the Dell supports that CPU. You may have to ask them.
Bob

Collapse -
Upgrade 6000D cpu
by nodsirrah / February 22, 2014 9:20 AM PST

I don't know what else to supply except the 6000D is a laptop. Dell won't talk to me as the laptop is 9 years old, all Win 7 Drives work.

Existing processor-----Intel(R) M processor 1.6 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB
Installed memory------2.0 GB
System type------------Win 7 32-Bit Operating System
Hard Drive--------------120GB Ultra ATA Hard drive
Video Card-------------128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X300

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2014 9:23 AM PST

Find both CPUs in Intel's ARK pages and supply the links here. I can't get those for you given the slim descriptions of the CPUs here.
Bob

Collapse -
Upgrade 6000D cpu
by nodsirrah / February 23, 2014 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: Try this.

Mine is an Intel Pentium M Dothan 730, the one I plan to order is an Intel Pentium M Dothan 780. I compared the 2 of them and all the Specs are identical except mine is 1.6 MHz the new one is 2.2 MHz. I also checked if there was a faster CPU but did not find one.
Without your help I would not have known about ARK, thanks for that.
The last question, is this a plug and play situation or do I have to change anything in the Registry or anywhere else?

Collapse -
You might try asking Intel
by wpgwpg / February 23, 2014 1:08 AM PST

The last I heard, Intel makes the motherboards for Dell, so you've got an Intel mobo with an Intel CPU. The real question is whether the mobo supports the 780. If, during POST, the mobo sees some newer feature it dosen't like, it decides to shut down and not work. Newer CPUs tend to have more "under the covers" features than you normally ever hear about until you encounter a problem. For example I discovered some secondary virtualization features when I started playing around with Virtual Box and the MS supported virtualization with Windows 8. If I put a CPU with this feature into a mobo that didn't support this feature, it might just fail to work. YMMV.

Collapse -
It will be a BIOS question
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2014 1:14 AM PST
Collapse -
R+D
by Bob__B / February 23, 2014 5:17 AM PST

If you want to try this and Dell won't give you a ya/nay then at least get the latest bios before the swap.

Opinion.
W7 and 2GB of ram is iffy......depending on what features you have enabled and the products your trying to run......think swapping.

Before you jump off this cpu upgrade cliff work on those unneeded features/background task/services.

Be very sure your malware free......some of that stuff is like dragging an anchor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.