Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Updating Windows XP service Pack...HELP!

by bunniegirl / January 1, 2010 2:47 AM PST

Greetings board. I need to update hubbies computer's OS. I have not done an update in a very long time...as it recommends to backup my system before the download. I have no idea what that is...how to do it...and what would happen if I failed. SO the windows is outdated...(we have had two virus's this year-not sure if that is pertinent). The service pack number is KB936929. Any advice? What does backup system mean? And since I am a novice, how do I know I backed everything important to safety?

Also, we have a USB flashdrive that we think may be infected. It has a ton of valuable info on it. Can I risk opening it on the computer? Is there some way to harvest the data and transfer it safely to another medium?

I think the last virus we got...new years eve is correlated to the USB useage done that day. Is that possible?

Sorry this thread question is so vast...any help on any point would be so appreciated.

Happy New Year Cnet! Woo Hoo.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating Windows XP service Pack...HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating Windows XP service Pack...HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's get that file out safely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 2:52 AM PST

Just last week I needed to get a file out of an infected volume. To do that I booted up my UBUNTU CD (no install needed as I run from CD) and it's immune to that pest but I could copy the files out.

Ok, files saved.

Back to Windows and its issues. The moderators all sing "We only lose what we didn't backup." Ok tell us the plan for the day the hard drive vanishes. My answer changes with that plan.

Also, can you reinstall the OS? That is, are all the restore media ready?
Bob

Collapse -
Safely...yeah, I don't want it to hurt....
by bunniegirl / January 1, 2010 10:31 AM PST

Hi Bob, you booted up your U Bunt U? Have no clue what that is or if I should be impressed with your feat! Would you throw me a lifeline and explain that? I think I understand you opened a CD and transferred your infected file onto the CD?

On the same subject, we have had several flash drive catastrophes...were we lost all. Why we are still using the silly things I have no clue. I need him to change his standard of saving data. Not knowing what is the most reliable...I have just kept quiet. The work he does is all internet website html data...perhaps pages for his website. So I assume they are large. I need to quiz him about what the contents are.

I may have the windows disk...was that the correct way to answer your question about reinstalling the OS? Oh, wait, his CPU is an HP...so it was already installed. So I guess the answer would be no. I have no os disk...but I do have the restore disk. I just tried to update my OS too. It won't complete the entire download. Both computers in my care, are having update issues.

You did read the NOVICE part in my OP right? You didn't realize just how much trouble I would be...huh? Thanks for your time. Bunnie

Collapse -
Let's look at a very old post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2010 11:00 AM PST

Read this one -> http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Ok, that was 6 years ago and I can add that UBUNTU (see google) is even easier to use than KNOPPIX was then. It's so easy a novice could use it. Or caveman.

I don't duplicate the easy to find pages on making and booting an UBUNTU CD but want you to know there are ways to deal with getting our files safely out. Notice another member writing about that at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7588_102-0.html?messageID=3105734&tag=forums06;posts#3105734

Hope this gives you some confidence to get your stuff out.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by bunniegirl / January 1, 2010 9:27 PM PST

I appreciate you pointing me to the correct thread. We are a long way off from confidence, Bob. Understanding however will follow I am sure about 10th time I read it. ; )

This CNET is such a vast sea of valuable resources. But for me...I need an actual 'translater button' to digest the language your techies use to search on my own. The sad thing is...I am the highest level tech in my home. Scary huh? SO the caveman analogy...is really more realistic than you think. We have no tv...and no cell phone, oh, and I never saw the movie Titanic. We are in fact cave dwellers.

You are always there to point me in the right direction. Next time I will just start a thread...Oh WooHoo! YO BOB! It is ME again. Thanks again BOB!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?