Resolved Question

updating window xp Dell computer

I have recently inherited an old Dell computer from my in-laws. I have windows XP on my home computer and have purchased a Linksys E900 router and Vallet in order to add this old computer to a home network.

Now I cannot connect this computer to the internet/router without the Windows XP service pack update. I even tried to install a new operating system (Windows 7) but it can't do that either without the update to XP. I copied a Windows XP SP3 ISO file from the Windows website and tried to update the computer this way.

Now I cannot "mount" or "run" the ISO file. It has Roxio Creator but I can't figure out how to install the update with this program.

Discussion is locked
gbart1588 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: updating window xp Dell computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: updating window xp Dell computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
XP SP3 is KB936929 that you can download
- Collapse -
Answer
SP3 the service pack is not in .ISO form.

It's a .exe so whatever you downloaded is not anything useful unless you are installing from scratch.

Again, there is no known way to use a XP SP3 OS CD to update a XP installed OS to add SP3 without what they call a REPAIR INSTALL which has plenty of downside.

Once in a while you encounter some user that is trying to avoid creating CDs by mounting ISOs. You know to let them soften up by letting them fail enough times until they are ready.

Here's the SP3 Network Full install -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-service-pack-3.aspx
Get the stand alone version.
Bob

CNET Forums