PC Hardware forum

Question

Updating PC

by Blackcat5267 / November 14, 2011 2:47 AM PST

Hey guys, I'm looking into possibly upgrading a few components of my PC, but I'm a bit out of the loop regarding current compatibilities between some of my hardware/software.

I really need to upgrade my RAM, but its the area giving me the most trouble. I'm currently running a eVGA, nForce 680i SLI 775 T1, LGA775, nForce 680i SLI, 1333MHz FSB,
DDR2-1200 8GB /4, PCIe x16 SLI /2, SATA 3Gb/s RAID 0+1 /6, HDA, GbLAN
/2, FW, ATX motherboard, with Windows XP Home, and I'm unsure as to what the best RAM choice would be that is compatible with this. I know I have a 4G limit at DDR2-1200 speed, but if anyone had some suggestions please let me know.

I'm also running a GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB RAM, that I am thinking about upgrading or maybe running two with SLI, what do you guys think would be the better option?

Thanks a lot everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you say you have 8GB of RAM already??
by Steven Haninger / November 14, 2011 8:44 AM PST
In reply to: Updating PC

or is that your MB's capacity? If you're running XP Home, your limit will be around 3.5 GB and any more will either be ignored or will cause trouble. What I'd do is head to Crucial memory and input your motherboard make & model number. It's doubtful you'll notice any improvement above 2 GB but don't get more than 4 GB.

Collapse -
No, 8GB is the MB's capacity.
by Blackcat5267 / November 14, 2011 8:58 AM PST

The motherboard can support 8 Gigs, but since I'm running Windows XP Home 32 bit it maxes at 4 GB. I just don't know what kind of DDR2-1200 ram to get.

Collapse -
Make the choice
by Willy / November 15, 2011 10:47 PM PST

Getting any so-called hot ram isn't really going to help even if you're a gamer. It will still operate at 1200 mode. Though, the heat tolerate or those offered with "heatsinks, etc." will be better to get, if gaming or demanding situations isn't your bag then typical high grade ram will suffice. If that's the reason for your query, then look for the various ram offering that suggest they're capable. Most ram vendors, offer some tier-level of ram tolerances, etc., suggesting they do better than the entry level as in "cheaper" or bargain type. Common sense will dictate to you what to get or desire. If getting a whole kit or re-install of ram, then be sure they match or come similar to what you have for best install. If you like to consider upgrading the OS to win7 at 64-bit, you'll may like the added ram and new win7 as it seems your present PC supports it. Though, you can use the Win7 adviser from MS to test that, just a thought.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'd change the video card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 8:47 AM PST
In reply to: Updating PC
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.