Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Updating Norton Virus

by Pzmaker / October 25, 2004 7:25 AM PDT

Several people on CNET sites have talked about "staying with NV2004" or "going back to to NV2003". I was under the impression that if I did not update, I would not be able to download udated virus definitions - a definite security problem

Could someone clarify this?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating Norton Virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating Norton Virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Updating Norton Virus
by Brent Welch / October 25, 2004 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Updating Norton Virus

You can continue to use an older version of NAV. It is just the annual subscription for new definitions that needs to be renewed.

I still have NAV 2002 on one of my machines, but by renewing my subsription each year, I continue to get definitions updated as they become available.

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 7:48 AM PDT

Hey Pzmaker!

There is a difference between update and upgrade. You can stay with your Norton 2003 or 2004 and still get virus definition updates that will keep you armed against the latest threats. Norton 2003 is no longer supported by Symantec, that is to say you can no longer take your technical questions and problems about Norton 2003 antivirus to Symantec. You are on your own there. They will, as I have said , however, still download updates to you.
I still use Norton Personal Firewall 2003 and am quite happy with it. I still get updates for it and recently had the firewall itself upgraded, to my surprise, through the automatic update feature, which Symantec pioneered by the way.
If you are happy with your present Norton, stay with it.
See my posting at : http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6138-0.html?forumID=31&threadID=37394&messageID=494013 for a good discussion of the many antivirus options. Also see this excellent review of the latest Norton and McAfee antivirus programs : http://www.pcmag.com/review/0%2C2491%2Cs%3D26691&a%3D137517%2C00.asp
Safe surfing!

Collapse -
Re: Here's the right link!
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 7:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Updating Norton Virus - more info
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 8:46 AM PDT

Hey Pzmaker!

I forgot to mention that if you upgrade you actually get a new product. Norton antivirus 2003, for example, can be upgraded to Norton 2004 or 2005. Each of the Nortons vary a little although the scanning engine is fundamentally the same. For example, Norton 2005 comes with a worm-proof firewall that replaces the Windows firewall upon intallation.
Upgrading a product in this case an antivirus program just means you get a newer performance enhanced (or not) version of the same product.
Interestingly, you can get upgrades of a program without going to a newer version ie. 2004 to 2005. As I said in my previous posting, my Norton 2003 firewall got upgraded to a newer version but was and is still Norton 2003. Likewise my McAfee VirusScan 8 received an upgrade from 8 build 8.0.2 to 8.0.415 or something similar as I recall.This kind of upgrade improves the structure and function of the program but does not install a new version of the product itself.
Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Re: Updating Norton Virus - more info
by Echo2 / October 25, 2004 8:57 AM PDT

Dear Pzmaker:

I forget to mention that the upgrades I mentioned that improve your product without actually getting the newest version of the product are also called product updates. I mention that because I just got another update for my Norton firewall 2003 which has now been changed from 6.0.4 ( I believe )to 6.0.4.35. These updates are not to be confused with antivrus updates which are definitions and signatures designed to neutralize the lates online threats ie.worms virusses and trojans.

Collapse -
Re: Updating Norton Virus to 2005
by michhala / October 25, 2004 9:43 PM PDT

I upgraded October 03 from NAV 2003 to 2005. With the $20 rebate (which I received within 3 weeks), it was very inexpensive.......on Amazon it cost about $20.

I am pleased with 2005's performance, but unnerved at seeing the Internet Worm Protection log alerts and activities, which show monitoring worm signatures and default blocking of Trojans.......many, many since 2005's October 03 install....2005 is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

Through the years with my previous NAV 2000 and 2003, I had just one alert. This was a Klez that was found by a scan to a file downloaded to desktop before it was opened. So far as I know, since 1998 I have been fortunate to have not had any virus, trojan or worm enter either my old or new computer.

These threats showing on 2005 must have always been out there and found by previous NAV versions, but there were no alerts or notifications. Now that I am visibly seeing how many times a day they pass by my computer, I am uneasy.

I have been with AOL since 1998 and currently on AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized. There is some security in the fact that AOL changes IP address every time I logon/logoff to AOL. For this reason, I logoff frequently, since it takes 3 seconds to reconnect. When serviced by AOL's DSL, there is no Internet connection when I turn on the computer and at Windows desktop, until I sign on to AOL with my password. Until I sign on to AOL, there is no IP address and auto updaters such as NetDetect cannot do an update until then. The list of default blocked Trojans has a different IP address for each, dependendent on the address at the time it is blocked.

Do not have a firewall. All my ports are on Stealth.......except for the Ping....but after seeing the threats, I am about to get a firewall -- already have ZoneLab 5.1.33 on desktop. Don't know all that much about firewalls (had one once but it slowed up my computer) but want to make sure it is compatible with NAV 2005 and that it will still keep my ports on stealth and block ICMP Ping port.

Miki

Collapse -
Re: Updating Norton Virus to 2005 attn michala
by Echo2 / October 26, 2004 8:06 AM PDT

Dear michala:

You have to be careful that Norton is not returning a bunch of false positives. I hate to say it but these sofware programmers sometimes program their new software to look busier and more useful to you than the software actually is. Your ISP communicates with your system on occasion sometimes frquently for a variety of reasons. That activity could be seen as worm-like by Norton, although I believe it shouldn't.
If you are networked, communication between computers can be interpreted as worm activity, although a sound firewall should be able to discern the difference between legit and unlegit behaviour. I remember I had Zone Alarm and ISA's intrusion prevention program on my system and the intrusion alerts never stopped. I switched to McAfee and all those alerts stopped as they did with Norton which I am using now.

In addition to a firewall, I suggest you go with a router. D-Link is very good. I use it. The firewall on a router is solid protection against worms and other intrusion attempts.
You can set them to deny Ping requests. Although with a router, it doesn't really matter if Ping requests are denied or not since the hacker is only communicating with your router and not your computer or firewall for that matter.
As for a firewall, I would go with McAfee for its ease of use. McAfee really has done a good job with 6.0.
It depends on what you expect from a firewall.
If you are looking for a total security package, go with Zone Alarm Pro. It blocks popups, banner ads, scans incoming and outgoing email and also has antispyware capability. ZA also monitors your antivirus ( McAfee, Norton, CA, and Trend Micro)to make sure it is up to date and, in fact, functional.
Outpost and Norton are also good security package firewalls.
Don't hesitate to ask if you need some advice!

Collapse -
by michhala / October 26, 2004 8:41 AM PDT

Hi TopGun -- very helpful post. Thank you so much.

I, too, have often wondered about the software manufacturers staging some of these threat events.

I forgot to mention that I am not networked. I am not looking for a total security package as AOL does a good job on popups and NAV has been doing same for me in protection. I also use Spbot S&D and Ad-Aware SE.

First a firewall, then a router. Thank you for the specifics on the latter. I will definitely look into it.

AOL/DSL recommends McAfee as do you......your recommendation, however, is an important consideration. I am all for ease of use. I stayed away from it because I don't go with AOL's recommendations usually, and I disliked McAfee's AV software that I had in 1998 and 1999...but things have changed.

Because many people recommend ZA, I thought that was the one to get.

You mention you are now using Norton -- Is that part of a package? One of the few times I listened to my local computer show KABC (Westside Los Angeles), they were very much against Norton Security. Although that did not stop me from upgrading to NAV 2005, it did keep me from getting the whole package.

Again......my thanks.

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

Collapse -
by michhala / October 26, 2004 9:10 AM PDT

ADDENDUM to TopGun

Is this something I should think about? I was planning on upgrading to XP SP2 from the CD, but there is mention on the CNET XP forum, and in an MS KB article, of problems with AOL 9.0 DSL and XP SP2. I think I will wait to see if a fix is on the way or investigate further.

But looking ahead to XP SP2 and after reading one of your posts on XP forum, I have a question re a firewall.

Is it considered advisable to have AV and Firewall software from same manufacturer? When I finally again install a firewall, I would like to think they will all get along with XP SP2 :).

My thanks.

Miki

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 26, 2004 10:53 AM PDT

Hey Miki!

I recommend that you put SP2 on your system It has a lot of new security features which I think have been too long in coming. Your reticence regarding McAfee and AOL is understandable. I don't like McAfee's conduct as a company.

I like your specs. You have plenty of meomory. How big is your hard drive? You need plenty of hard drive space if you want to go with Norton.
As well as Spybot and Ad-Aware you may want to go with a Payware program such as Giant Spy Sweeper and Pest Patrol to round out your protection.
Two programs come to mind, Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster,both are free. One, Spyware Blaster hardens Internet Explorer against malware, while Spyware Guard gives you real-time protection against spyware and adware etc.
You can get Spyware Guard here : http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
and Spyware Blaster here : http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
Check out my posting here : http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6138-0.html?forumID=31&threadID=35208&messageID=494093 and here for more info : http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=42189&messageID=495678
This site is also good :http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

As for your firewall, there is no doubt about it, McAfee makes a good firewall. It, along with Norton, is ICSA certified.It has a first rate hacker tracking feature which allows you to determine almost exactly where the access attempt originated. It sets up smartly and quickly and is easy to manage. My only reservation about McAfee's firewall is that it offers only intrusion prevention and detection. Other firewalls do that and more. For example, Zone Alarm Pro, which I recommend, blocks pop-ups and banner ads, scans incoming and outgoing email, has an antispyware capability and monitors your antivirus ( provided it is McAfee Norton CA or Trend Micro)to make sure it is up to date and functional.
If you are looking for ease of use then consider Trend Micro's Internet Security. Trend Micro's firewall is not permission based, rather it inspects incoming and outgoing programs and applications for trouble and notifies you only when it finds a problem.
You don't ,nor does the Trend Micro firewall, have to bother with configuring access for all your computer's internet enabled programs. You won't even know it's running. Unless of course it finds a trojan or virus. One note of caution, If you go with Trend Micro, you will first have to uninstall Norton as the Trend Micro package includes an antivirus. In fact, Trend Micro won't setup until you uninstall your resident antivirus. The Trend Micro antivirus is good so don't worry about that.

If you don't go with Trend Micro then stay with Norton 2005 antivirus. I wouldn't get the Norton Internet Security unless you need a spam filter. The Norton Antispam is good. It doesn't take long to train. I like Norton Internet Security but it can be a space hog and slow your system down although I have never experienced that. Nor should you with 512 MB.
In fact, at one point, I had Norton SystemWorks and Internet Security on my system simultaneously and experienced no system drag.
If you don't need a spam filter then get the Norton 2004 or 2005 firewall. I am not sure there is a discernable qualitative difference between the two.
There is nothing problematic about using the same company's antivirus and firewall. In fact, in some cases it is advisable.
Once you get a firewall and/or a router, you will be able to the Norton worm-blocking feature off. Then, if you have SP2, you will be able to reenable the SP2 firewall which Norton replaces with its worm blocking feature. That ought to cut down on the alerts.
I use Norton 2004 antivirus and 2003 firewall. I like the alert tracker in 2003 firewall which for some reason is not included in the 2005 Norton firewall. I like the ater tracker because I want to know sometimes where an application is going to or coming from, although inbound alerts occur less frequently with my router.
Please let me know if this helps or you would like more info or acdvice. I am sure I forgot a thing or two.
Best,

Collapse -
by michhala / October 26, 2004 12:47 PM PDT

This article is what is making me hesitant to install XP SP2 on my AOL/DSL 9.0 at this time:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885295

My hard drive is 80GB 7200 RPM Ultra ATA. It installed at 74.4 GB, and I have 65.1 GB available. This seemed like a large hard drive two years ago :).

I am going back and forth on firewall issue between McAfee or Norton or Zone Alarm Pro. The latter I am familiar with because I installed it in a friend's computer and have been helping him work it out, which is a learning experience in itself methinks.

I downloaded Spy Blaster, but did not know which download to use for Spyware Guard -- Full or minimal --the download sight mentions full DL 1.96 MB for new users or minimal for upgrades and those using Win XP.

Spyware Warrior Forums has been added to my favs per your links in posts.

Following your lead, I think I will stay with NAV 2005. All I have to do now is decide -- McAfee, Norton or ZoneAlarm Pro 5.1 or higher as the firewall. LOL when my friend asked me which firewall to get, I immediately told him Zone Alarm Pro, and now I cannot decide for myself......I am a blonde, after all :).

You have been beyond wonderful......I so appreciate.

Miki

Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
NTFS
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 26, 2004 3:04 PM PDT

Hey michala:

You're very welcome.

I think you are smart to delay the installation of SP2 on your system. You can function well until you do put it on your computer. I did not know it was so problematic with AOL.
As for Spyware Guard, go with the minimal download.
I know the difficulty in choosing your security software. Why don't you take advantage of the trial periods the companies offer?
Here is an excellent link. It doesn't include Zone Alarm but it has many other opportunities to explore some good software :http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx

I hope this helps!
Don't be afraid to ask for any more help.

Collapse -
by michhala / October 27, 2004 3:38 PM PDT

Hi TopGun -- I will get Spyware Guard's minimal download per your advice.....thank you for that.

Now for the firewall.......As I mentioned, in my NAV 2005 Internet Worm Protection Alert folder is a list of 20 Trojans blocked by default, beginning October 03.

I installed NAV 2005 on my friend's computer, the same day I installed my NAV. At the same time, I installed ZoneAlarm Pro 5 on his system. He shows one only Trojan blocked by default on October 03, to my 20 from same date to current date.

Methinks this must have something to do with the ZA -- what do you think?

You are definitely a great help to me.

Miki

Collapse -
by michhala / October 27, 2004 3:42 PM PDT

ADDENDUM -- friend also uses AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized.

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
NTFS
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

Collapse -
TopGun it's about Spyware Guard 2.2
by michhala / October 27, 2004 5:50 PM PDT

I did a minimum install of Spyware Guard and updated to the latest definitions dated January 22, 2004. It doesn't do anything other than sit in my systray looking out at me Happy I cannot open the program from anywhere except by right clicking icon in the systray -- although I can open the LiveUpdate feature from Start/Programs.

Everything is enabled with green check marks -- it has a scanning engine, but I cannot get it to scan......does it scan silently in the background? Maybe I should do the full download?

I feel really stupid right now Happy

Blondie

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized

Collapse -
Re: TopGun it's about Spyware Guard 2.2
by Echo2 / October 28, 2004 12:39 AM PDT

Hi Miki!

No, you are not stupid. Spyware Guard is supposed to sit there in the tray and run silently. He provides ongoing protection against installation of spyware and adware. If you like, you can put his icon on your desktop. From there, you should be able to open the program. Otherwise, just make sure he is updated.

Keep smilin'

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 28, 2004 12:49 AM PDT

Hi Miki!

I think you are right!
It does have to do with ZA if the one trojan blocked is listed as blocked by Norton. That means ZA has assumed the worm blocking duties.
You know, I was rethinking my earlier post to you regarding Norton and the possiblity of false positives. It occurs to me that, with all the worms out there these days, it is quite possible that, if Norton antivirus 2005 was your only firewall, all those alerts were for real.

Take care!

Collapse -
by michhala / October 28, 2004 9:35 AM PDT

Methinks y'all will be happy to know I have made my decision to go with the ZA Pro 5 as my firewall. I have decided to download it from their website because it is the only way to get the 5.1 version -- 5.1 is not available in box -- and I can also purchase the one-year updates there, too. Spoke and wrote ZA customer service for this -- if I purchased a boxed version anywhere, after installing and registering Key #, I would be instructed to go to the website to download the 5.1. Although I like to have a CD for back up, I keep all setup files in my setups folder on a backup disk just in case. I also have the uninstalled ZA free 5.1.033 there, too.

So, thank you TopGun and all for walking me through to this decision. Most likely I will be back with questions on using ZA if I cannot find answers in their forums. (LOL I bet you can hardly wait :))

Miki

Collapse -
by Echo2 / October 28, 2004 12:44 PM PDT

Dear Miki!

Not at all! I enjoy hearing from you. I like your choice of firewall. I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Keep in touch!

Collapse -
by John Robie / October 28, 2004 8:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Updating Norton Virus - Thanks
by Pzmaker / October 31, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for all the input re NAV and all the additional info contained in the threads. I will be able to look at my current choices (NAV2004, Zone Alarm 5.1, SpyBot, AdAware, and use of the Security Tango site) and make some rational decisions.

As Top Gun said, "safe surfing" and remember you're not paranoid if they *really are* after you!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.