Desktops forum

General discussion

Updating My Rig

by LordOni / November 2, 2010 12:27 PM PDT

I think this may be a topic that's a bit offhand from the rest that are posted here, but I have been a viewer of CNET discussions for quite some time and would like to see if the community could assist me. As the title states, I have been thinking hard about upgrades to my computer so that it can last for a few more years (I play a lot of video games and am anticipating the release of COD:Black Ops). I will first give a rundown of original specs, then modifications that have already taken place, and finally I will give some ideas I have had in regards to my computers. I would like to point out that I am not really in the mood to fiddle with new operating systems (I have more than enough computers here with vista 64). I enjoy and am accustom to the limitations of XP.

Initial Specs:
Tower: NZXT Guardian Tower
PSU 500w PSU - NZXT PF-500 2.0
Motherboard: eVGA 133-K8-NF1 nForce4 SLI (Model# NF-CK804)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 OEM
RAM: Corsair twinx 1024 3200 c2
Graphics: PCI-E XMDIA 7600GS 512MB
Audio: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music
Optical: 2x Samsung 18x DVDRW SH-S182D
FDD: standard 1.44MB drive (unknown manu.)
HDD1: Western Digital WDC WD2500JS-00MHB0
HDD2: Western Digital WDC WD360GD-00FLC0
Keyboard: Logitech Media Elite USB
Mouse: Logitech SBF96 Optical
------------------------------------------------------
New Specs:
Graphics: eVGA 9500GT 1GB
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless K350
Mouse: Logitech Wireless M510

New Ideas:
I am looking to upgrade RAM (4GB XP max)for sure, but I am also looking at a Graphics Card, HDD, 1 of my Optical Drives, and maybe the PSU. Basically, I saw the minimum requirements for COD: Black Ops and I almost exploded. It actually caught me off guard because I checked my specs on http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=703&game=Call%20of%20Duty%207 and it said my CPU wasn't enough even though it has the same clock as that trip-core on minimum reqs.

Anyway, thanks ahead and I can understand something of this sort may take some time. I would hope that I can get a rough idea before black friday so that I can make a list and check it twice. As for price, I can figure that out on my own. If any other info is necessary, or if you just want to make fun of my system I will reply and by amused. Grin

Thanks Again,
Lord Oni

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating My Rig
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating My Rig
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmm.
by Bob__B / November 4, 2010 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Updating My Rig
Collapse -
Mobo
by LordOni / November 6, 2010 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmmm.
Collapse -
Then it would seem
by Bob__B / November 6, 2010 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Mobo

That you can expand to 4GB of ram.

As for COD.

Your cpu does NOT meet min specs.

Your call if you want to try it.

Don't get confused with clock speeds and useful output.

Often one does not have much to do with the other.

Collapse -
Good news
by LordOni / November 7, 2010 1:15 PM PST
In reply to: Then it would seem

Well, good news is that it now seems that my processor will probably be fine (2.4MHz) because the one that's actually on as minimum rather than than recommended specs (for AMD anyways) is 2.4MHz as well. Now, is there any way to figure out the wattage of my system. If i can do that I can budget for a graphics card. Grin

Thanks for the replies.

Collapse -
Check out the GPUs over at Tomsharware.com
by VAPCMD / November 8, 2010 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Good news
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.