Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Updating my backup strategy

by veb14 / November 25, 2008 8:59 AM PST

Dell Dimension 4600i/Windows XP Professional/512 RAM/74.4GB HD/48GB in use

My backup strategy has been to burn two copies of 'My Documents' and 'My Favorites? to CD-R (with one copy stored in a secure, yet undisclosed location). I plan to switch to DVD+RW (more disk capacity), but scouring the boards for advice has raised questions. Although I'm not exactly a novice, I do struggle with the lingo, so bear with me.

It appears that, in general, there are two styles of backup: a copy of data files alone (documents, music, pictures, etc.); and, 'imaging' (a copy of the entire hard drive).

1. Can one ?image? to DVD or is this only appropriate for an external hard drive, due to capacity?

2. If DVD?s will work, how many do I need? Is it as simple as knowing my hard drive has 48GB in use, so a half-dozen 8GB DVD?s will do it?

3. Does ?imaging? actually copy everything, including programs? Office XP Pro w/Front Page was factory installed, and Dell did not include the program CD with my computer. If I ever need to reformat my HD, I'd lose Office, and have to re-purchase something for which I've already paid. (They did include an OS recovery disk).

4. What does a backup software program (such as Macrium Reflect and Synchback) do that my current method of drag/drop/burn doesn?t?

5. If I stay with just data backup, should I actually be copying ?My Documents & Settings?? What?s in there (besides ?Favorites?) that would help in case of a system crash?

Thanks for your advice?I?d be lost without these forums!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating my backup strategy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating my backup strategy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers:
by Paul C / November 25, 2008 7:13 PM PST

Before I start, let me congratulate you! I read far too many posts here and at other places from people who haven't learned a simple truth: Data that is created and not backed up really doesn't exist - and will not exist after the inevitable disaster. That said, let me reply.

1. You may image to DVD, and then do it a second time so you have the second set to take to off-site storage (a good idea, BTW). I prefer imaging to DVD or a second internal hard drive so that the image isn't on the drive with Windows, where it'll be useless in the event of that drive's failure. I do not use an external hard drive, as I just don't trust that the data will be available to me when I will need it.

2. To image a hard drive, you will need a third party program that does this. Plug the phrase "disk imaging software" into any search engine to find available programs. Which program you use is your business; that you can use it without problems, and find it easy to use is what matters. Make sure, however, that the software you choose allows you to verify the integrity of the image after it's created. An unverified backup is no backup!

3&4. A disk image is just that - a 100% byte by byte reproduction of the entire hard drive or partition that you image. A good time to image is right after you reinstall Windows and all applications, and you have everything just so. A proper disk image will have on it your operating system, all installed software, your documents and settings, etc. It will not have on it all changes you make to the computer after you make the image. To secure those changes, your imaging software must have the ability to let you make incremental (records changes made since the last backup of any kind) or differential (records changes made since the last 100% disk image) backups. Make sure that whatever disk imaging software you use allows that, and save those backups to the same place you keep your image (you may use CD's for those subsequent backups, as they will be smaller). For example, when I look on my second internal hard drive for backups, I see a complete disk image and 7 incremental backups. Should a disaster occur, all I need do is restore the original image and all 7 of the incremental backups, and I'm back in business; or you can use a second internal hard drive to store them and also a DVD/CD copy to take to off-site storage. In the case of CD/DVD, the software will tell you how many disks you'll need.

The disk imaging software you choose should have the ability to make a disaster recovery CD/DVD so you can run the software from it in the event that you can't access your system drive or need to restore the image to a new hard drive. Let that be your first task after installing the imaging software.

5. Should you stay with you present backup strategy, Then I'd continue copying "My Documents and Settings" and "Favorites." But is that all you'll need? How about audio/video files? If they're in those folders, good; if not, then you'll need to go further.

For example, I use iTunes as my music player. My iTunes library has songs downloaded from iTunes, which are in the Windows/Users folder (I'm running Vista Home Premium) and mP3 files that reside on my second hard drive in a folder named My Music. I use the backup application in iTunes to copy all these to DVD.

I hope that I've not totally confused you with all this information, but I'm a backup fanatic who became one through one really painful experience. If you have any other questions, please post back, and I or someone else will surely have the answers.

Paul

Collapse -
Forgot something!
by Paul C / November 25, 2008 7:19 PM PST
In reply to: Answers:

Do you have downloaded software (shareware, freeware, etc.)? If so, you might consider drag and drop to a DVD for that folder as well...

Collapse -
Backup Strategy
by geekphreak / November 25, 2008 7:54 PM PST
In reply to: Forgot something!

hello all,
When it comes to backing up the main drive where system is installed , main items i would say to backup is "Address book, Mails, Bookmarks, Drivers" For each and every person the choice of backing up may vary though. To backup data i use a free tool called cobian which does a great job and it allows you to backup data to a drive as in HDD or CD/DVD , if you wana try it out here is the link " http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cobianbackup.htm " , but keep in mind this does not do imaging, Regarding how many dvd's yo are gonna need to backup drive , most imaging tool like "acronis true image" do give you a heads up on how much DVD you will require , Number of DVD's also depends on how big the partition that you are trying to backup is. Lot of free imaging tools are available too in the market if you like free tools Happy . Partimag is one of them " http://www.partimage.org/Download " . Good luck!! .

Collapse -
updateing backup
by hisgrip / December 21, 2008 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: Answers:

Dell XPS 410 XP 160gb
Hi Paul that was a good answer helped me out quite a bit my question on this is where do I find the address and email data to back up?
I know this is a old post but hope you can help me

Collapse -
(NT) What email program do you use?
by Paul C / December 21, 2008 6:02 PM PST
In reply to: updateing backup
Collapse -
back up
by hisgrip / December 21, 2008 6:22 PM PST

outlook 2007 and yahoo
using Microsoft office (student) edition
I'm running Mozilla browser

Collapse -
Re: Outlook. Link only.
by Kees Bakker / December 21, 2008 6:25 PM PST
In reply to: back up
Collapse -
Just my thoughts . . .
by Coryphaeus / November 25, 2008 8:41 PM PST

I used to back up to CD, then DVD. As far as imaging, I just clone my hard drive. I run Seagate drives exclusively in my four machines, and once a month or so I just use the clone software that comes with the drives. The cloned drives sit on a shelf, unpowered, for storage.

To me, straight imaging or backup may or may not work on a new drive. A cloned copy will just slip into the machine and go.

Collapse -
Interesting, Wayne.
by Paul C / November 26, 2008 1:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just my thoughts . . .

What's interesting is that the Seagate cloning software software is little more than a relabled version of Acronis True Image.

You must have a lot of $ invested in cloned hard drives, though...

Collapse -
DOwnload discwizard
by geekphreak / November 26, 2008 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting, Wayne.
Collapse -
I have that software.
by Paul C / November 26, 2008 5:43 PM PST
In reply to: DOwnload discwizard

It came with the Seagate SATA drive I bought as a second internal drive for my machine. I was browsing the user's guide after reading Wayne's post when I noticed that the software was supplied by Acronis; further reading made me realize that it was merely a truncated version of True Image - which I already use in its full Version 11.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!