General discussion

Updating drivers on Toshiba Satellite running MS Windows XP

Hi there!

Recently I upgraded a number of drivers, which I've done on previous occasions with no problems at all. However, on this occasion after rebooting system, I discovered a number of basic functions no longer work.

1. Mouse right click to access options on anything on desktop.

2. Scan Disk used to be an option I accessed from right click on C drive Properties, but unable now, and when searching for it as an exe file on system, it seems to have vanished!

3. When trying to access Properties option on files via File, then Properties in Explorer, nothing happens! Had tried this, as right click on the file is no longer working.

I have rolled back a couple of graphics drivers, with no change to above.

Any advice on these issues appreciated . . . asides from system restore, which I'd prefer to avoid if possible.

CateHappy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Updating drivers on Toshiba Satellite running MS Windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Updating drivers on Toshiba Satellite running MS Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Please, give us a detailed list of this Laptop's specs.

Otherwise, invest in an upgrade of Windows platform.

Windows 7 Home Premium Edition - Upgrade package.

You will still, have to upgrade the graphics/video and sound chipsets' drivers though. Up to 2010's level of quality.

Read you later on. Please report back after the specifications of your Laptop are fully known.

- Collapse -
My Laptop specifications . . .

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name YOUR-9DL6YFN7YI
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite A10
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2493 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA Version 1.30, 2/09/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Australia
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name YOUR-9DL6YFN7YI\Satellite A10
Time Zone AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 46.25 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.13 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I hope this is what you were after . . . if not, let me know more specifically, and where to find the information.

Thanks you,
CateHappy

- Collapse -
Here's the Download web page for your 2003 to 2006 drivers.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=556031&rpn=PSA10U&modelFilter=A10-S100&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

You can, still, upgrade your RAM to 2 cards of 512Mb to bring it to a decent level of it all = 1Gb.

Problem arising : Bios is way too old and, will fail anytime. 1 to 2 years left as a well functioning status. Do not do any drastic O.S. upgrades and, you should be fine.

Try esupport.com for the newest Bios upgrade. If you feel that a mere 30$ is worth investing in this aging Laptop. After that upgrade, you will be able to upgrade your RAM cards to 1Gb each(2Gb total). Upgrading to Win.7 will be possible to this point.

I do hope you get the bigger picture of all the possibilities, now, opening to you.

Good Luck in your future or, even, present day endeavours!
Wink
- Collapse -
Thank you Luc . . .

As you've probably read, Bob helped me fix my immediate issues, and I really appreciate his help, and your input too.

I don't plan to spend any money on my current system, it just needs to work reliably 'as is' until sometime next year when I plan to upgrade to new laptop with Win 7 installed.

Thanks again, much appreciated, Cate Happy

- Collapse -
Scandisk in XP is gone.

It's now CHKDSK but there are third party tools that added this to the menus.

http://www.technologyquestions.com/technology/windows-xp/30630-chkdsk-f-r-versus-right-click-properties-tools-check-now.html

There are many write ups about this but I fear that many are still transitioning from Windows 98 and are looking for the old familiar tools.

The blank properties is a real concern since it's a sign of a damaged OS either by malware or a registry cleaner. Registry cleaners are now a source of trouble rather than a cure.

For now, forget scandisk (it's not in XP) and think CHKDSK.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks again Bob . . .

Unfortunately, as I don't have a right click function I can't access it that way, and I tried doing it manually through Explorer - My Computer - C Drive - Tools, and the option to Chkdsk doesn't exist. It used to, as I've often run it prior to doing a defrag, as used to access it the same way.

You're probably spot on about the registry cleaners, I did try a new one around the same time as I did the driver updates, so that could very well be at the root of my prob's.

I don't really want to upgrade on this system, as I'm hoping to get a later model laptop sometime next year, which will have Win 7 on it.

Not sure where to go from here!

CateHappy

- Collapse -
There are many ways around this.

Let's say all GUI methods fail. We always have the command line and even that has workarounds. Here's how.

Start, Run, enter CMD and press enter or the return key. Now type chkdsk and see what happens. If it runs we can use that to chkdsk and even scan the hard drive.

BUT WHY DO THAT? This only addresses the old scandisk item on your list. Let's cover chkdsk here and see about other items in another discussion.
Bob

- Collapse -
"1. Mouse right click to access options on anything on deskt

"1. Mouse right click to access options on anything on desktop."

This is common damage from malware and registry cleaners. Sadly there is not a single quick fix it for this one. But let's try this one:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2258289_disable-right-click-windows-xp.html

Now we use that to undo a common bit of malware damage. The right click if we did this correctly will be re-enabled, but may need a reboot.

After that we may need a right click editor AKA Context Editor. Here's one:
http://www.askvg.com/a-complete-tutorial-to-customize-desktop-context-menu-in-windows-xp-using-resource-hacker/

That link notes not only the tools but more.

--> Let's be clear here that registry cleaners create problems more often than not.
Bob

- Collapse -
Yes . . . it's fixed!!!!!

Thanks SO much Bob . . . I have right click back, access to properties, including right click now bringing up Properties option from C drive, which has enabled me to schedule a Check Disk on next Start Up. SO pleased, and have uninstalled recently installed Registry Cleaner. Will stick to previous one which has never given me any trouble at all, and basically just sorts any old ones leftover after uninstalling programs.
Thanks again Bob, much appreciated, and a great result. This is the first time I've ever used any type of forum for assistance, and I'm very happy.
Best regards,
Cate Happy)

- Collapse -
Thanks for the report.

The Cnet forums are very good. There are a lot of great folk pitching in and we learn from each other. The registry cleaner issue is one of them.

You helped others help you by answering questions and trying to work the issues.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info