Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Updating DiskWarrior (failure)

by jennywren1420 / May 7, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

I need to do the update on my DiskWarrior to version 3.0.3, a free upgrade for using it with Tiger. Unfortunately, after creating a disk image (according to the procedure that DiskWarrior follows), I cannot burn a CR-R with the updated version of the disk.

My computer is a G4 desktop with ample space on the disk and quite a bit of RAM (384). I am running OS 10.4.9. I get all the way to the part where it says "insert blank disk." I do that while the blue-and-white barber pole thing is doing its thing, my computer makes its usual noises, but the "Continue" button on the screen is greyed out. In a little while, the computer spits out the disk.

I did it a number of times with different blanks, but to no avail. And oh, does it signify that when I try to do anything, such as pulling Cdown a menu or closing, nothing happens? Kind of like the old pre-freeze condition that I sometimes encountered in the old days of OS 7 and 9.

Then I have to quit, but starting up again produces no more effect than before.

In the System Profiler, it is clear that I do have a disk burner. Here's what it says:

Burn support Yes (unsupported)
Profile Path None
Reads DVD Yes
CD-Write [blank space next to that item]
DVD-Write [blank space]
CD Burn Underrun Protection No
DVD Burn Underrun Protection No
Write strategies [blank space]
Media No

I have never burned a disk, so I don't know anything about this. I also checked in System Preferences, CDs and DVDs, which I thought might indicate whether I must do something different or anything at all, and I was left without a clue.

I really don't know what all this means, except that I am unable to create the CD, which I shall surely need at some point. It would be great also to be able to burn CDs and/or DVDs at some other time.

Really up the creek this time. Help would be much appreciated.

jenny

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating DiskWarrior (failure)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating DiskWarrior (failure)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's a paddle for you
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 4:28 AM PDT

Did you purchase the CD burner separately or did it come with the machine?
Did you get it new or previously loved?

The fact that System Profiler states that disk burning is unsupported does not inspire confidence.
The System Profiler should offer a little more information that you are giving here. There should also be a manufacture, possibly a model number and even the term CD-R/W.(or something similar)

If you would like to email me, via the profile, the serial number of the G4 I can check its original configuration.

P

Collapse -
Thanks!
by jennywren1420 / May 7, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

The burner came with the G4. I'll send you the relevant information, including the name of the CD part of the machine, but it has always been my understanding that this computer burns CDs.

Thanks!

jenny

Collapse -
Burning CDs
by jennywren1420 / May 8, 2007 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Thanks for sending me to OWC. I'm mystified that the serial number I sent to you is unknown (checked it twice), because the model is prominent in the illustrations above the burner I just bought, but so be it. I'm not averse to spending money (and that was a bargain); just spending money needlessly, and this certainly is a necessary expense--or at the very least, it will allow me to update DiskWarrior and will add value to the computer when I replace it.

Jenny

Collapse -
The reference to spending money
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 8, 2007 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Burning CDs

was definitely "tongue in cheek"

You will find it fairly easy to install the drive, glad you liked the price, but if you get stuck just holler.

P

Collapse -
I may take you up on that.
by jennywren1420 / May 9, 2007 8:06 AM PDT

Dear P,

I do know that the remark was tongue in cheek (I do that kind of thing myself), though it would not be entirely uncharacteristic of me to balk at spending money on an old machine, however beloved. Anyway, I know I shall enjoy having my new drive and am glad that it's from a source of which you approve.

I hope that I don't have to seek help here when I replace the drive, but I feel happy knowing that I have this forum as a resource backup, all the same. Even if I do ask for help, it won't be for a while: I'm going to Virginia to help my daughter pack up their stuff for the family's move in June to Edinburgh (yes, Scotland--and Andrew's already there). I shall let you know, though, if I run into trouble with installing the drive after I come back.

Thanks again.

jenny

Collapse -
But maybe not
by jennywren1420 / May 10, 2007 4:36 AM PDT

Dear P,

The drive came today, and when I looked at the video about how to remove the old drive and install the new one, I got distinctly uneasy. I have installed RAM, and that was a piece of cake, but this requires, among other things, that I fish about blindly with a long screwdriver with a magnetized tip (which I may not have) for a screw that I can't see.

I am quite easy dealing with things I can see; I think I can even line the new drive up as I must to get it in in, but I am very afraid of damaging something, that I'll hit something or tear something while I'm fishing about. I probably should have gotten a new copy of DiskWarrior. If I have to get someone in to do this, at Manhattan prices, I'm going to end up spending more than that would cost. However much time it takes, they rarely charge for less than an hour. Oh, well. Better that than reaching into my G4 and destroying something.

I do thank you for all your efforts, and I shall certainly get the drive installed soon--though not before I get back from Virginia. No fault of yours. I'm just disappointed that I am thwarted at doing it now, despite your faith in my ability to carry on competently and bravely. Sometimes, it's better just to admit one's limitations and let an expert do it.

Best,

Jenny

Collapse -
Exactly which G4 do you have?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2007 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: But maybe not

Only the QuickSilver model involves digging around with a long screw driver.

The CD drive on all the others just slides out through the front panel. The only thing involved inside the machine is to remove the IDE cables and power.

Manual available if needed.

Enjoy Virginia

P

Collapse -
I think it's a Quicksilver
by jennywren1420 / May 25, 2007 1:10 AM PDT

I tried, before I left, to find out which model I have and even called the folks who sent me the drive. The guy I spoke to thought that I did have a Quicksilver, but I really don't know.

It's one of those towers, has dark grey on the front panel (which has even darker-grey stripes) and the top, with lighter grey (dark-grey apple in the middle) on the sides. At the front and back there are heavy clear plastic handles at top and bottom that keep the computer off the floor a little and allow me to move it. Theose handles have ridges inside.

I looked at a diagram, and the various places to attach things also seemed to indicate that I may a Quicksilver, but perhaps there are other models with similar configurations .

The CD/DVD drive door opens with an oblong button that you press to make the drive open. Inside it has a putty-colored plastic place that receives the disk. The top of that thing has two "wings" that slant in toward to back of the sleeve. You put the disk inside the sleeve and push it in gently till it retracts into the computer, and the drive door shuts.

Is there someplace I can go that would have a picture of the various models? I tried Apple's Knowledge Base but couldn't find anything showing the way the computer looks when you are looking at anything except the back panel. It would be such a treat to learn that I don't have a model that requires bothering the innards of my computer, but I don't know how to find out without seeing a picture. I haven't come across any descriptions, either, and the booklet that came with the computer doesn't say what it's called.

Not asking you to do any research, but if you know a place where I can look at the different G4 models, I might be able to reach a conclusion about what to do. Now pray for me that the drive actually is in fine working condition. I didn't know that it would come so fast, or I would have postponed ordering it until after I came back.

Thanks so much.

jenny

Collapse -
Take a look at Wikipedia
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

search on PowerMac G4 Quicksilver.

there is a picture there. If yours look like that, its a Quicksilver.

I'm looking for other pictures now

P

Collapse -
Take a look at this site
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 25, 2007 6:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
By George, I think I've got it!
by jennywren1420 / May 26, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

P,

The second link was the one that was most helpful. It took a while, but although several pictures resembled my Mac, I believe I have the answer. From the picture and description, my own "About This Mac" specs and a comparison of a drawing at the site of the back of the computer with one in the book that came with the Mac, I have concluded that what I have is a (450 MHz processor, 100 MHz bus) so-called Power Mac AGP G4 Single Processor. What looked like a silver case to me apparently is graphite in Apple's eyes. So I seem not to have a Quicksilver Mac.

I hope that means that there is some relatively easy way to remove my old CD/DVD drive and replace it without digging deep inside the Mac. I am beginning to be quite hopeful.

By the way, they sent me a Sony drive, not an Apple one, as advertised. I trust, however, that the one they sent is just as good.

I shall go soon see whether the video for my model of Mac that macsales.com has indicates a way of doing this job that I can do without tranquillizers.

I'll get back to you after I do?probably, tomorrow or Monday, when I have a little more time. I find the videos hard to view, unfortunately: With a slow computer, they poke along, and for some reason, everything on my screen has become tiny since I switched to OS X. Not saying that's a direct connection, but it certainly has become prominent. But that's another matter for another time.

Thanks for your help, once again,

jenny

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.