Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Updating Bios

I own a Compaq S6010NX - XP Home - SP1 - and I wanted to upgrade my bios by installing the SP26512 download from Compaq / HP.
Downloading this update requires you to enter safe mode and sign in as administrator not as username and then to execute the file to the best of my understanding. Here's their instructions.

1. Click Start, click Turn Off My Computer, and select Restart.
2. When you see the red Compaq Logo, repeatedly press the F8 key to
bring up the ''Windows Advanced Options Menu.''
3. Use the arrow keys to scroll to the Safe mode. The following prompt
will be displayed:

''Please select Operating system to start''

4. Use the arrow keys to scroll to Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
and press Enter. The computer will now start in Safe mode.
5. When prompted, log in as an Administrator.

NOTE: The user name is ''administrator'' and the password is user
specified (if any) or blank by default.

My problem is that I keep getting an error stating that BIOS (1) can't be updated and to contact support. I've tried downloading the file several times and Hp has suggested ordering the softpaq with all my drivers and thinks the problem is related to an incomplete download of the softpaq or due to damaged files.
I would think it's the same file. It's only about 1 mb large.
Is anyone familar with this problem or does anyone have a soulution to this problem. I really don't want to restore the system if I don't have to - or order a softpac that has the same updates that the web site has.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updating Bios
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updating Bios
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check your BIOS setting,

In reply to: Updating Bios

does it allow you to update or enabled the update feature?

Maybe you get the wrong BIOS Update for your specific computer?

Read the instruction again... Just maybe.. you need to use Flash utility?

Be carefull, a glitch in the update, can make your pc unbootable... and only a specialized shop can flash/reset/reinstall the BIOS.

Collapse -
Resolved

In reply to: Updating Bios

Resolved -

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tell us how so other members benefit!!

In reply to: Resolved

Collapse -
Corrupt BIOS - Need to know how to boot from -

In reply to: (NT) Tell us how so other members benefit!!

The issue is still not resolved - When compaq said I could load the BIOS in normal mode .....
My computer wouldn't go into hybernation and I understood the only solution to this problem was to update the bios.
This mourning compaq sent me an email telling me I could log in to my sytem in normal mode and install the softpac for the BIO upgrade that they sent me previously. I did so and now my computer will not boot up and I get a black screen on the monitor and the computer beeps. It will not respond to a recovery disc because of the failure to boot.
Of course their not responsible - lol - ugh !
Geeeeeeeeeee !
Can anyone please instruct me on how to boot my system from this corrupt BIOS setting. ( From The Mother Board or however ) This BIOS installation has completely disabled my computer.

Collapse -
Ughh.. I hate to say..

In reply to: Corrupt BIOS - Need to know how to boot from -

I told you so...

Try to flash the bios using the backup diskette..

Or... bring it to the service center..

Collapse -
Compaq Email Tech Support Came Through Again !

In reply to: Ughh.. I hate to say..

I got an email from them stating that an unseated or bad memory could cause the system to beep and not boot. One side was a little loos so I reseated it and the system booted. Weird that it happened at the same moment that I upgraded by BIOS but never the less - You can imagine how happy I am about
I found out some stuff that will certainly make me more aware of the boards or systems I buy.
My board manufacture is Giovani. They don't exist outside compaq's structure. That means if you bios chip does go bad or gets currupted that you can't download any ROM files to try reboot any AMI CHIPS or order new BIOS chips from the manufacture.
In this case I would have had to paid a 150 dollars for a new mother board instead of being able to purchase a new BIOS chip. I suggest everone insure their board is being made by a known manufacture ( INTEL ) before purchasing the sytem or board but at the moment - all is well !
Thanks for the comments -

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.