Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Updates - November 15, 2004

by Brent Welch / November 14, 2004 9:15 PM PST

Program update AVG 7.0 - 7.0.290

Fixed problem with processing large MDB files in the Resident shield.

- November 15, 2004 -

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updates - November 15, 2004
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updates - November 15, 2004
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Updates - November 15, 2004
by glenn30 / November 14, 2004 10:37 PM PST

Thanks Brent! I am having a little problem downloading AVG 7.0 - 7.0.290. I have 7.0.289 and when Update Manager is used the report is "No new update is available at the moment". Visiting http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt7.php?pri=3 it clearly is there. Instructions are to use Update Manager. Do you have any ideas and can I download manually for an easy install? If so and it is anything other than double clicking the downloaded file I may need help. Wink

Have a great day!

Glenn

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 14, 2004 10:49 PM PST

Sometimes, an updates will be available on the AVG website before it shows up in the Update Manager.

You can either wait a bit until it shows, or download manually. If you download it manually, you can still use the Update Manager. Just specify File, when asked where to obtain the update, and direct the update manager to the file that you downloaded. It will verify the file, and then update.

Collapse -
FWIW _ I got the update for he PAID AVG 7 version.......
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 14, 2004 11:14 PM PST

Collapse -
Update file for all Program versions (size 6317947 bytes):
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 14, 2004 11:24 PM PST
Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 14, 2004 11:31 PM PST

Brent I am sorry to display my lack of knowledge here. Right now I am in sort of a mess not knowing how to handle this.

Before receiving your instructions I had downloaded the file and saved in "My Downloads Folder". Now I cannot get it to install and do not understand the procedure for Update Manager to recognize and install it. I did go back to AVG and attempted to download the file by installing directly to AVG 7 from their website but it would not allow it. Apparently it somehow recognizes that I already downloaded it to My Downloads Folder.

Can you, as simply as possible, lead me in the method to install from the file that I downloaded to My Downloads Folder. Sorry to be such a bother but AVG is making this so complicated to use their anti-virus. I should have simply waited until auto update is fixed.

Thanks again.

Glenn

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 14, 2004 11:35 PM PST

Use the appropriate link from below to download the Update file
to your hard drive. Then access the Update feature
in AVG Anti-Virus 7.0 - select "Folder" and indicate the location
of the Update file which you have downloaded.

Update file for all Program versions (size 6317947 bytes):
http://www.grisoft.cz/softw/70/update/u7f29065.bin

Collapse -
Thanks Marianna!
by glenn30 / November 14, 2004 11:40 PM PST

I am 40% downloaded from your link posted above. Sure hope it works.

Have a great day!

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn, You're Welcome - it worked for me for the FREE
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 14, 2004 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Marianna!

version - it WILL update - no problems here !

Have a great day too Wink

Collapse -
Re: Glenn, You're Welcome - it worked for me for the FREE
by glenn30 / November 15, 2004 12:05 AM PST

I am using the Free version. Still lost!! The download in now in "My Downloads Folder". Both you and Brent instructs the same. Here is what I do not follow:

"Then access the Update feature in AVG Anti-Virus 7.0 - select "Folder" and indicate the location of the Update file which you have downloaded".

I open AVG 7 Control Center/Update Manager but cannot figure how to go from there. It must be simple but my mind is not clicking.

Glenn

Collapse -
by Brent Welch / November 15, 2004 12:23 AM PST

Glenn,

When you select Update Manager from the Control Center, you should have 3 buttons at the bottom of the Control Center. Select Update. This will pop up a window that gives you a choice of where to obtain the update. Select folder, and browse to your downloads folder.

Collapse -
Ahhh Brent, that is where my problem lies...
by glenn30 / November 15, 2004 12:38 AM PST

In using Update Manager and selecting Update I do not get a popup giving a choice of where to obtain the update. It simply attempts a check for updates and gives a popup stating "No new update file is available at the moment.. check later"

It appears I have a defect if not given the choice. Oh.. I just remember something and it may be in settings if I can get back there. Previously I was asked a question similiar to what you are telling me and I chose "Internet" so that may be where it is checking. Hope I can get back and change that... then perhaps I will be given the option you tell about. Sad Will let you know the outcome. If you know where to find the setting... please share it.

Glenn

Collapse -
Re: Ahhh Brent, that is where my problem lies...
by Brent Welch / November 15, 2004 12:45 AM PST

Select the Properties button and uncheck "Do not ask for the update source".

Collapse -
Re: Ahhh Brent, that is where my problem lies...
by glenn30 / November 15, 2004 12:55 AM PST

I did find the setting and changed it so the options now show. Did the update "slick as a button". Thanks for the help. Will be more careful about changing options in the future! Grin Boy was that a lot to do about nothing. Wink

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad we could help Glenn
by Brent Welch / November 15, 2004 1:06 AM PST
Collapse -
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2004 12:33 AM PST

Glenn,

When click "Check for Upates", you should see:
"Internet"
"Folder"
"Cancel"

Select "Folder" then browse for the folder where the .bin file is located. Click OK. The Upadater will find the bin file and tell you that there is an update.

If you don't see the 3 options (Internet, Folder, Cancel), select Update Manager>Properties. Uncheck the box for "Do not ask for Update source". Click OK then proceed with the above steps again.

Collapse -
by glenn30 / November 15, 2004 12:58 AM PST

Problem solved! I did not have the three options but settings located and changed. Now all is well. See post above to Brent.

Thanks Donna.

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good to hear it's solved now Glenn :)
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2004 1:04 AM PST
Collapse -
I have a stupid suggestion
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 1:13 AM PST

I found this out by doing it wrong a couple of times when Ad-Aware's "Update" function was acting up last month and I downloaded the updates manually. In case there is ever an update problem of that kind with AVG or the regular function is too busy this may or may not work with AVG. It DOES with Ad-Aware. When I downloaded the new defs manually intead of following directions (that would have been too easy LOL), I saved them in a folder in "My Documents". I opened that folder and right clicked on the new defs. and copied them, Then I went to the Lavasoft folder in the "Program Files" folder and pasted them right on top of the old defs. I got a popup and said there is already a file named that, would you like to replace it with the new one. I clicked yes and it worked great. Ad-Aware SE has got to be CLOSED when you do this though. When you open it up afterwards, the new defs are loaded and ready to go. It worked great for me for an emergency situation.

Collapse -
Re: I have a stupid suggestion
by Brent Welch / November 15, 2004 1:40 AM PST

This will work for programs like Ad-Aware or the Cleaner, where the update involves a single reference or database file.

AVG program updates make use of a .bin file which may contain updates to numerous files. Only by using the Update Manager, can they be extracted and the individual components updated properly.

HTH

Collapse -
Re: I have a stupid suggestion
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 1:45 AM PST

OK Brent, thanks, I wasn't sure but figured I would put my two cents in, in case it would work LOL.

Collapse -
Roddy, that's correct way to do it
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2004 1:55 AM PST

If the Updater of Ad-aware SE says no update even though there is an update, simply download the ref file then replace the old ref file with new one.

Everytime the Lavasoft Team will announce their updates, they add this:

You can use Webupdate to install the new reference file, or download it manually from:
http://download.lavasoft.de.edgesuite.net/public/defs.zip

which means extract only the ref file into programs directory and all should be well Happy

This method can be done in AVG 6 & AVG 7 too by downloading the bin file then save it in the programs Update folder (Update folder is depending on Operating System). Example:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\upd7bin

Once we open AVG, AVG will find and use it.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Donna. :D
by roddy32 / November 15, 2004 2:09 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Roddy! :-)
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2004 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Thanks Donna. :D
Collapse -
Donna, question about update files..
by radean / November 15, 2004 2:52 AM PST

Just wondering if like 6.0, the update .bin files can be deleted after the update is complete??
Just downloaded the latest update manually, using FTP, and created a folder for it in C:\. Update went fine.
Wasn't aware where the "real" update folder was located until your post Happy

Collapse -
Re: Donna, question about update files..
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2004 3:30 AM PST

Yes, you can still safely delete the old upates (bin) files Roddy Happy but I am keeping some of them because as per Grisoft, AVG scans all the bin files because of the following:
--------------------------------
AVG6INFO.CTF is the "update control file" and is used in two cases:

1. when using "Update manager" to update over the Internet - A small AVG6INFO.CTF is first downloaded and analysed to determine which update file to download.

2. when updating over a network - i.e. through AVG Control Centre, or manually running AVG for Windows in conjunction with network communication. The smaller AVG6INFO.CTF is checked first before a larger update file is downloaded or copied.

When updating from a local drive the size of data analysed is not so important, therefore AVG searches for the "best update file". If a newer update file is damaged AVG will update from the next newest available update. Note that you only need to keep the latest full update file.
--------------------------------

But they recommend to keep latest update and if you have one the ctf file

Collapse -
Oops! Sorry Ray.
by Donna Buenaventura / November 15, 2004 3:32 AM PST

I typed Roddys name. Sorry. My bad eyes Sad

Collapse -
Hold on, Brent!!!
by glenn30 / November 14, 2004 11:37 PM PST

I went to Marianna's link posted above and it seems to be downloading to the program. I assume it will auto install once the download is complete. I'll post back if unsuccessful. Thanks much!

Glenn

Collapse -
New iAVS update (VPS 447-0) for avast!
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 3:18 AM PST

Note: This is a standard update

Collapse -
The Cleaner - Database Update
by Brent Welch / November 15, 2004 3:46 AM PST

Database v3720
---------------------
Added Vidlo

Updated Bagle
Updated Cain and Abel
Updated Spyboter

Collapse -
Update AVG 7.0 - AVI 265.3.1 and AVG 6.0 - 797
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 15, 2004 4:42 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.