Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

UPDATES - March 2, 2006

by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 8:07 PM PST
BOClean FILEDATE: 03/02/06 - 06:22:03 (US EST) (11:22:03 UTC)
ELEVEN new nasties today for a total of 10528 UNIQUE trojans (77,275 trojans, worms, bots, hijackers, downloaders, spam proxies, rootkits, adware, spyware, keyloggers, "dialers" and other malware in total, including all variants) covered in today's update for BOClean 4.12 and BOClean 4.20.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPDATES - March 2, 2006
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPDATES - March 2, 2006
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 8:27 PM PST
Collapse -
ewido #1741
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 8:30 PM PST
Collapse -
NOD32 - 1.1424 (20060302) / posted 08:40)
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 8:56 PM PST
Collapse -
NOD32 - 1.1425 (20060302) / posted 23:26) (2)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 7:02 AM PST
Virus signature database updates:
IRC/SdBot, Win32/Adware.SpySheriff, Win32/Bagle.FN (2), Win32/Hezhi.B, Win32/IRCBot.PO, Win32/Mocalo.BN (4), Win32/Mocalo.BO (4), Win32/Mytob.PN, Win32/Mytob.PO (2), Win32/Mytob.PP, Win32/Nucleroot (2), Win32/Nucleroot.C (8), Win32/Opanki.BV (2), Win32/PSW.Agent.NAG (2), Win32/PSW.LdPinch.RG, Win32/PSW.Lineage, Win32/PSW.Lineage.DN, Win32/PSW.Lineage.QW, Win32/QuicknEasyFTP, Win32/Rbot (4), Win32/Skowor.B, Win32/SpamTool.Mailbot (2), Win32/Spy.Banker, Win32/Spy.Banker.AHY, Win32/Spy.Banker.VJ, Win32/Spy.CardSpy, Win32/Spy.CardSpy.NAA (3), Win32/Spy.Lydra (2), Win32/Spy.Small.NAK, Win32/TieSrv, Win32/TrojanClicker.VB.LI, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Agent.ABG, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Agent.AEA, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Banload.GT (2), Win32/TrojanDownloader.Banload.RZ, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Banload.TB, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Delf.NDQ, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Murlo, Win32/TrojanDownloader.Murlo.DE (2), Win32/TrojanDownloader.VB.NCW (2), Win32/TrojanDownloader.Zlob.NAG (2), Win32/TrojanD
Collapse -
AVIRA Engine Update - 03/02/2006
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 9:26 PM PST

Dear AVIRA User,

We would like to announce you that a new AVIRA Engine update took

Affected AVIRA products:

- all AVIRA solutions.

Engine version - AVIRA Desktop for Windows;
Engine version - AVIRA for Windows Server;
all AVIRA for Unix Solutions.

- Added: Improved generic Feebs detection.

Thank you for using AVIRA.

Best regards,

Note: Quote is from the e-mail notice.

Collapse -
AVIRA VDF version:
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 9:47 PM PST
Collapse -
AVIRA VDF version: (2)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 12:27 AM PST
Collapse -
AVIRA VDF version: (3)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 2:26 AM PST
Collapse -
AVIRA VDF version: (4)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 4:55 AM PST
Collapse -
AntiVir VDF-Version:
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 9:57 PM PST
Collapse -
AntiVir VDF-Version: (2)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 12:29 AM PST
Collapse -
AntiVir VDF-Version: (3)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 2:28 AM PST
Collapse -
AntiVir VDF-Version: (4)
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 4:41 AM PST
Collapse -
BOClean 4.21.002 released 03/01/2006
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 10:43 PM PST

A FIX BUILD of BOClean 4.21 has just been released - this "fix build" addresses two problems in the original release. New copies of the "002" began delivery a few minutes ago. (03/01/2006-9:18PM EST)

The first problem required replacement of the BOClean DLL file to solve a problem on some machines where bootup time was excessive and caused BOClean's DLL to load before its kernel driver had been loaded, resulting in it being unloaded by the system. This resulted in 100% CPU and lockups under certain conditions. In addition to a new DLL, we reverted to the original kernel driver. The second problem involves a bug in the BOCEXC.EXE "excluder" module which would write out its data to a BOC420.DAT file instead of the correct BOC421.DAT file, making exclusions impossible. Finally because of complaints that the unaffected BOCLEAN program file itself was not changed to reflect changes to other modules, the BOC421.EXE file was retagged as 4.20.002 even though no changes were ever made to that file. Synopsis of files are as follows:

BOCDRIVE.SYS 8,477 05-01-05 3:22a (reverted to original)
BOC4UPD .EXE 46,592 02-25-06 6:46a (no changes)
BOC421 .XVU 200,951 02-27-06 11:35a (no changes)
BOSETUP .EXE 159,744 02-27-06 8:48p (no changes)
BOCORE .EXE 69,632 02-27-06 3:00p (no changes)
BOCLEAN .DLL 81,920 03-01-06 1:17a (fixed kernel loader time in 001)
BOCEXC .EXE 118,784 03-01-06 8:53p (fixed incorrect 420 with 421)
BOC421 .EXE 196,096 03-01-06 9:09p (changed version number only)

On the first replacement, we automatically resent the files to all who had received the earlier file. We are not going to do so this time - you will need to request the upgrade again. This is necessitated by some rather nasty people who put in "spamming complaints" against us for trying to do the right thing. "No good deed goes unpunished." Therefore, there will be no automatic resends except to our corporate/governmental/institutional customers who have already received their replacements.

Please read and follow the directions below to avoid delays in receiving your copy of the new BOClean 4.21 release. We want to make this as smooth as possible for everybody, and we appreciate your cooperation. SUPPORT and STAFF here are unable to send you upgrades, so please read the information below in order to get yours as quickly as possible. We've hired extra people to handle upgrades as we always do, however they work 10AM to 6PM US Eastern standard time. We do not have the resources to provide upgrades on a 24 hour basis as we did in the past - that's why we made the "extended download service" available to those who wanted the ability to obtain a new version instantly using this opportunity. Corporate, institutional and government customers have already received their upgrade as per our "maintenance contract policies." No further action is required as you've already received your upgrades and related material in an advance release of 4.21.

BOClean 4.21 has been "officially" released. This new version improves performance in detecting and deleting all sorts of trojans, worms, bots, hijackers, downloaders, spam proxies, rootkits, adware, spyware, keyloggers, "dialers" and other malware. Yes, that?s right, we?ve been covering keyloggers for some time now, and they are becoming popular among identity thieves, as seen in today?s New York Times (subscription required):

If the mass media is catching on, you can be sure the problem?s already rampant. Not to worry, BOClean keeps you covered, so there?s no need to run additional software (and lose system performance) to detect those pests.

What's new in BOClean 4.21? Note the new BOCORE service, a kernel monitor designed to catch nasties before they can "root." And for those who managed to grab "root," BOClean 4.21 can see them when your antivirus, antispyware and firewall CANNOT as BOClean always has been able to. The latest nasties can live at "kernel level" and hide from "user level," but BOClean 4.21's BOCORE *lives* in the bunker of the kernel level, unlike any other antimalware can do. BOCORE is only the beginning. We've seen the newest of nasties that can even hide at ROOT level, and that's the reason for BOClean 4.21 and the rush to get it out. When rootkits can hide from the kernel, there's serious nastiness ahead and BOClean 4.21 is ready once again with its baseball bat to take them out.

To upgrade any version of our software (excluding BOClean EDS customers), please email us at upgrade@nsclean.com. In your request, please include any or all of the following: Your order number, email address at the time of purchase, full name and the correct email address to send to. Once we confirm your request, your software will arrive in a reply email. If you are certain you can receive them, we will send an EXE or ZIP ONLY if you request those formats. Otherwise, we will send an encrypted file and instructions on how to get the decoder program download from us. This is a LOT easier than it may sound.

Please set up your email program to prompt for a file attachment storage location, this will expedite file installation. Saving the decoder and encrypted 001 file to the desktop will make the process very easy. Be sure that your firewall is set up to permit attachments to get through and be sure your ISP does not block attachments. Some web-based services do, if you have an alternate email address it would be helpful if you include it in your email. You'll get your software faster if you do. Please be patient, requests can take up to 24 hours to fill. Thanks for your cooperation.

For those of you who paid the extra couple of bucks for the "EXTENDED DOWNLOAD" when you purchased BOClean, you don't HAVE to wait - simply grab your original order and password and go directly back to the download site, redownload the "old version" which will magically be the NEW version when you receive it regardless of what the page says. You PAID for "enhanced service" and you GET it! No need to go through the "gauntlet of the freebie" if you went for the "extended download." Happy

BOClean Anti-Malware division
Privacy Software Corporation

Collapse -
by roddy32 / March 1, 2006 11:15 PM PST
Collapse -
Zone Alarm Version 6.1.744.000 was released 03/01/2006
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 1:16 AM PST
Determine which version of ZoneAlarm you are using by consulting the product Release History (below) or by using the "Automatic Check for Updates" feature in the software.

New and improved features in ZoneAlarm version 6.1.744.000

Fixed - Service stability issue
Fixed - Communicate with the centralized server issue
Fixed - Overlapped text in support and update information
Fixed - Various other bug fixes
end quote

More is information and download are here
Collapse -
Yep, Been Running It All Morning..So Far, So Good
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 2, 2006 3:02 AM PST

Because the version number is only slightly changed, I decided to simply install this one over the top of my previous: "6.1.737.000" FREE version. I first downloaded the new "6.1.744.000 FREE" installer to my desktop. Next, I stopped the previous version from loading at startup by opening the program console, clicked on "Overview", then the "Preferences" tab, and UNCHECKED the box to "Load at Startup". I then restarted the machine so ZA wasn't running at start up. After startup, I ran the new version installer and it saved all settings and seems to be running fine.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
That's the same as others are doing
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 3:30 AM PST

from what I've seen in my other forums. I don't use it myself though. I should have posted this yesterday along with the NAV Live Update version Upgrade and also another new BOClean version. They ALL came out yesterday but I ran out of steam last night and waited until today to post them everywhere. LOL

Collapse -
Symantec Live update Version 3.0.160 released 03/01/2006
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 1:59 AM PST

Release Date:March 1, 2006
File:lusetup.exe (3,107,168 bytes)
Description:Version 3.0.160 update for 32-bit Windows LiveUpdate files.

*Improvements in Product Integration Support
*Improvements in Network Bandwidth Utilization
*Logging & Diagnostics Enhancements
*Usability Improvements
*This version of the LiveUpdate Client does not support the LiveUpdate Administrator server.

Please continue to use the Version of the LiveUpdate Administration Utility if LiveUpdate Administrator Support is required.

The 3.0 release contains integrated Enterprise management features that are compatible with the Symantec Enterprise Security Architecture (SESA) v2.x.
See the Readme.txt file for more information.

Notes by me:
This will be released gradually via Live Update itself (I got it last night that way) or by going to the above link. There is no need to uninstall the old version. A reboot is not required (Not for me anyway) BUT IS recommended.

Collapse -
Update AVG 7.1 - AVI 268.1.1/ 273
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 2:30 AM PST
Collapse -
McAfee Daily #4709
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 2:55 AM PST
Collapse -
NAV Daily
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 4:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Hey all !
by Eskiegirl302 / March 2, 2006 4:37 AM PST
Collapse -
I've been using it since the first preview
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Hey all !

2 or 3 months ago and I like it but this is the "updates" thread and not really the proper place for a discussion about it. Happy

Collapse -
hpHOSTS File
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 5:32 AM PST
hPHosts last updated March 2nd, 2006[
The hpHOSTS Hosts file has been updated. There is now a total of 45,633 listed hostsnames.
Please read the included Readme.html file for installation instructions. Enjoy!
Latest Update: 3/2/2006.
Last Verified: 3/2/2006.
hpHOSTS is a community managed hosts file. What that means to you is that you have a key role to play in improving hpHOSTS by submitting undesirable sites you think should
be listed or by requesting removal of sites you think may have been added in error. This process is performed in our public forums and all decisions to add or remove sites are subject to public criticism and ongoing reevaluation.
If you would like to get involved, please register at hpHOSTS File Support Forum

* Registration is free and is not required to download the hpHOSTS hosts file.
Collapse -
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 9:38 AM PST
Collapse -
Defs Update 1.14.1288.5 for Windows Defender BETA 2
by roddy32 / March 2, 2006 12:54 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?