Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Updates for CWShredder...??

by Carol~ Moderator / April 5, 2005 8:23 AM PDT

When you read the question, you'll understand why I hesitated putting this here or at 'Computer Newbies'. I figured, I'd get a quicker (and forgiving) reply here.

Last night I downloaded CWShredder v2.14. When I click to "Check for Updates", something is telling me nothing is happening. It seems not to respond. When I went to Intermute's site, I read where the Firewall will not allow it. They then gave a link, where I believe, once allowing the Firewall access, you are able to update. This was specifically for one of the paid version's. I do realize this is a removal tool, but would think it needs constant updates. Am I missing a very basic point here? Blush I didn't have the older version, so as new as v2.14 is... it's ALL new to me! (BTW.. for whatever it's worth.. the link specifically had the paid version within it. AND prior to downloading it, I had granted permission to accept the site??. I'm noting this now, only in case I am told that it's a firewall issue.)

Thanks in advance..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updates for CWShredder...??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updates for CWShredder...??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Carol
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 8:35 AM PDT

You have the latest. When cwshredder updates, which is not too often, it changes the whole version. The next one should v2.15 but probably won't be for a while because v2.14 just came out. The check for updates option on it checks for a new version and in the middle of it after you click "check for updates". It should say "You are running the lastest version of cweshredder". IF it does not, I would not worry about it because you check here often enough that you will see any new updates on our daily update thread. Did you download the correct one at Intermute? You should have downloaded the (stand-alone version). The paid version is a trial of SpySubtract which you don't need which also comes with cwshedder. On the right side on this page I'm going to send you to, it the second download on the list and is labeled. "Download standalone version of CWShredder".

http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Collapse -
Thanks Roddy...
by Carol~ Moderator / April 5, 2005 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Carol

I was kinda hoping you'd see this. Although I remembered being at Intermute's site, I looked in my History anyway, because I don't see "You are running the latest version". (I'm a little blown away at the moment because I did see something, that I am going to have to check out after I write this. I followed a link from CoU last night and I now see a website that references 'dist.belnk.com'. Someone here wrote about a mess they got into after having gone, there a day or two ago. I know I intentionally didn't go there! But am now paranoid as h--l.) Anyway, I believe I may have gotten the link at Wayne's page.. then went to Intermute. I looked to make sure I wasn't getting a paid trial version. While trying to get the answer myself, I saw a screenshot of it at AumHa.org Forums. It looks exactly the same. "History" show's the download is the same, although I'm beginning to question it. (I have seen warnings to other's so many times about getting the "real thing", I believe it is the correct one.) I check out updates here.. and there.. so that won't be a problem. If I run into a problem, I'll be sure to post. Meanwhile, I will presume it is the correct one and now spend the rest of the nite finding the post here, that references the above website. I'll leave my Java update issue for a later date!!!!!!!

Thanks AGAIN!!
Carol

Collapse -
OK Carol, If you got the download from
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Roddy...

either Wayne's site or Intermute, you are fine. Even if you had downloaded SpySubtract by mistake at Intermute, it would not hurt the computer but it's a program that you don't need IMO.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.