General discussion

UPDATES - February 17, 2005

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: UPDATES - February 17, 2005
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: UPDATES - February 17, 2005
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
F-Prot Antivirus update 02/17/2005 {FTP-12:38am}
- Collapse -
McAfee AVERT Stinger Update 2.16.05 (late last night)

McAfee AVERT Stinger V.2.5.0
2/16/2005
Added W32/Bagle.bh - bm@MM
Added W32/Dumaru.bd - bg@MM
Added W32/Mydoom.ao - bb@MM
Added W32/Nimda.u@MM

This version of Stinger includes detection for all known variants, as of February 16, 2005:
BackDoor-AQJ BackDoor-ALI BackDoor-CEB
BackDoor-JZ Bat/Mumu.worm Exploit-DcomRpc
Exploit-LSASS IPCScan IRC/Flood.ap
IRC/Flood.bi IRC/Flood.cd NTServiceLoader
PWS-Narod PWS-Sincom.dll W32/Anig.worm
W32/Bagle@MM W32/Blaster.worm (Lovsan) W32/Bugbear@MM
W32/Deborm.worm.gen W32/Doomjuice.worm W32/Dumaru
W32/Elkern.cav W32/Fizzer.gen@MM W32/FunLove
W32/Klez W32/Korgo.worm W32/Lirva
W32/Lovgate W32/Mimail W32/MoFei.worm
W32/Mumu.b.worm W32/MyDoom W32/Nachi.worm
W32/Netsky W32/Nimda W32/Pate
W32/Polybot W32/Sasser.worm W32/SirCam@MM
W32/Sober W32/Sobig W32/SQLSlammer.worm
W32/Swen@MM W32/Yaha@MM W32/Zafi
W32/Zindos.worm

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

- Collapse -
AntiVir VDF 6.29.00.-124 [2.17.2005]
- Collapse -
TrojanHunter Ruleset update: 4xx-2005-02-17
- Collapse -
AntiVir PE VDF-6.29.00.133
- Collapse -
Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) Refresh Released
Please read the note at the end of this

QUOTE FROM BINK .NU
Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information. Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding over 50 ways spyware can enter your PC.

Since releasing Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) on January 6, 2005, we have received feedback from customers and have made enhancements to the software based on this feedback. We have enhanced some of the real-time protection agents, added new threat categories, and improved stability and performance. If you are using a previous version you can simply upgrade to the refreshed version. The version number of the refreshed version is 1.0.509. To check the version number, click About Microsoft AntiSpyware? on the Help menu.Participants in the worldwide SpyNet? community play a key role in determining which suspicious programs are classified as spyware. Microsoft researchers quickly develop methods to counteract these threats, which are automatically downloaded to your PC, so you stay up-to-date.

The user must be an administrator to install this application.

Note: This download has been updated to include signature version 5687, which is the most current as of February 10, 2005. Customers who have installed Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware prior to this date do not need to re-download. They will receive signature updates as part of their next automatic or manual signature update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
- Collapse -
Anyone know the install procedure.

for Refreshed Version 1.0.509? Did not see instructions on the Microsoft link. Install over previous or uninstall and reinstall the refreshed version???

Thanks!

Glenn

- Collapse -
Glenn, please read the note that

was on my previous post about the people that already have the previous version. It sounds to me like, the new version will be downloaded through the update thing. Maybe I am wrong but that is what it LOOKS like to me anyway. LOL

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You get the update via the updater !! NO problems here.
- Collapse -
Marianna and Rod...

Thanks to both of you. Yes it seems that should be the way; however, updater indicates I have the latest which isn't true. I have version 1.0.501 and looking for 1.0.509. Sad I have downloaded the newest version and saved to disk but am a bit uncertain how to proceed from there.

I have had good experience with the Beta version. Not the first problem and it did find and removed some malware that other software had not found. Glad to learn that Microsoft will keep it free after coming out of Beta in July.

Glenn

- Collapse -
Glenn - IF it does NOT update...
- Collapse -
Thank you Marianna!

That is the page from where I downloaded the latest version. Will follow you advice by uninstalling, rebooting and installing the latest.

Thanks much!

Glenn

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glenn, You're Welcome :)
- Collapse -
Followed your instructions...

Install went well and now have version 1.0.509. All settings and collected data was retained from the previous version. Do not understand why the program update feature did not work... maybe because Beta. Wink

Thanks a bunch!

Glenn

- Collapse -
Strange Roddy --

My AVG shows 8.8 in the bottom right hand corner, 2/14. When I check for updates it tells me there are no new updates. ? ? ? I will go and check manually but thought this was strange.

Julea

- Collapse -
This is even stranger ------

I went to grissoft URL and manually downloaded the update file. I dumped it in a sub-folder called Updates under AVG Free. This is how I've been doing this whenever I go after the update manually.

When executing the file, the dialogue box pops up that says open with ---- I don't know what to open a .bin file with. I've not had to do this before --- when executing the file in the past, it would just automatically do its thing and update like I'm used to seeing.

What do I open this thing with? I have Windows 98SE.

Thanks for your help - Julea

P.S. I wonder why the change!

- Collapse -
I don't use AVG Julea so I

am aware of the proper procedure. I'm sure that somebody else that uses AVG can help you. Sorry. Sad

- Collapse -
Updating from A Folder

Julea, I had to do mine manually, too.
I'm not sure if this answers your question, but did you check your Properties under Update Manager to see if you have "Display Information About Update Process" checked?
Then after you download the update, if you go to the "Update" button in the CC your Update Manager will ask if you want to download from the Internet or from a Folder.
If you chose Folder, you can browse to wherever you saved your update, and it will install.

- Collapse -
Duh -- I'm embarassed -- I had a slip of ye old cog I guess!

Hi Lyn -- thanks for coming to my rescue; but would you believe after coming back to PC this afternoon it dawned on my how to get that file to execute. I don't know why I didn't remember it this morning ---- I rarely have to get manually anymore and guess I just forgot the procedure. All of a sudden it came to me out of the blue ----- naturally, I feel embarassed but guess the old mind can't remember EVERYTHING (LOL)!

When I did it the way you mentioned, it worked like clockwork and I got with no problems.

Thanks again for your response as I may have never remembered it.

Julea

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Julea, You're Welcome
- Collapse -
AntiVir PE VDF-6.29.00.134 for 02-17-2005

Programmversion 6.29.00.03
VDF-Version 6.29.00.134
Datum (TT.MM.JJJJ) 17.02.2005
Zeit 16:17:10
Dateiname avwinsfx.exe
Dateigr

- Collapse -
avast! update 02/17/2005 {0507-3, 7.70-9220}
- Collapse -
NAV Intelligent Updater

Intelligent Updater:
Virus Definitions created February 17
Virus Definitions released February 17
Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition:
Defs Version: 70217h
Sequence Number: 41218
Extended Version: 2/17/2005 rev. 8
Total Viruses Detected: 69032

New detections added for this release (4):
Threat Severity Type Discovered
JS.Maris Category 1 - -
W32.Derdero@mm Category 2 Worm 02-17-2005
W32.Doxpar Category 2 Worm 02-16-2005
W32.Kipis.K@mm Category 2 Worm 02-16-2005
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

- Collapse -
NAV Live Update just updated too.

I expected this earlier because of the category 2's but it took Norton a while to actually update it. Update via the update function on the interface.

LiveUpdate:
Virus Definitions created February 17
Virus Definitions released February 17
Norton AntiVirus Corp. Edition:
Defs Version: 70217h
Sequence Number: 41218
Extended Version: 2/17/2005 rev. 8
Total Viruses Detected: 69032

New detections added for this release (4):
Threat Severity Type Discovered
JS.Maris Category 1 - -
W32.Derdero@mm Category 2 Worm 02-17-2005