General discussion

updates do not install or download

I can not download or install updates on XP I have contacted Micro soft also did all the things here and more nothing works.get error when trying each update when google one at a time also. error says Set up could not verify the integrity of file update inf. Make sure cyroptographic service is running on this computer it is running when I check. Have done several steps different times from Microsoft support team nothing has done a thing.Any Help

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: updates do not install or download
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: updates do not install or download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Then it might be time for a clean install ...

of Windows XP from your CD. The advantage: it will have to do an enormous amounts of updates, so you have more that enough opportunity to see it works again.

Kees

- Collapse -
Comment, and another option . . .

As Kees says, a new install may work. If you have the XP CD, insert it while XP is up and running. The installer will open, ask if you want to install XP, you say yes, it will tell you that a copy is already running, you say OK, and it will do an "over the top" install leaving all your data intact.

Or if you have the XP CD, insert it while XP is running. When the installer opens, close it. Go to Start, Run, and type cmd When the DOS-like screen opens, type:

sfc /scannow (space between the c and the /)

System File checker will look at the system files and if it finds any that are corrupt or missing it'll lfix them from the XP CD.

CNET Forums

Forum Info