Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Updates cannot be done because site says I am a MAC

by unomix / March 4, 2007 12:38 AM PST

I am installing Windows ME on a computer and when going to the update site I am not allowed into the site because of a message thanking me for my interest but redirecting me to Mac world for updates
This is not the first time I have seen this problem as I ran into the same situation on another install of ME two weeks ago and at that time because that computer was needed right away so I bypassed the updates.
This is a new problem I have never seen before but did find out if I turned off AVG free anti-virus I was allowed to download IE 6 but no further
Any ideas anyone

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updates cannot be done because site says I am a MAC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updates cannot be done because site says I am a MAC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Goodbye yellow brick road...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 12:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Will the special update work with ME
by unomix / March 4, 2007 1:21 AM PST

At the site of the special update it states for 98se only and my problem is with a fresh install of ME and I am not sure of the differences.
I am aware that a lot of the updates when the site worked were 98 updates but also I don't want to compromise the system
I redo a lot of computers for a charity that provides computers for those who cannot afford one and ME has been the a license most of the old computers that have come in have had on them.
Should I try and use 98se instead and use that special site updater
Thanks for you help

Collapse -
Maybe
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 2:30 AM PST

Could use a search like google.com to find the one for Windows ME. My thoughts are to give you a chance to look.

Bob

Collapse -
Google searchs sends me to Windows Update site
by unomix / March 4, 2007 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe

I ended up in a constant loop with Google as any places found listing updates for Me sent me back to the Windows site.
I also tried to pick out the updates for ME from the Microsoft downloads site and was getting nowhere and the reason I wrote to this forum
Thanks anyway I will keep trying

Collapse -
I'm setting up my nephews machine at the moment and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 3:09 AM PST

Will see if I can find the Windows ME package for you.

However, if you had Windows 98se, why not install that?

Bob

Collapse -
Links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 3:21 AM PST
Collapse -
WOW thanks , how do you find these things
by unomix / March 4, 2007 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Links.

A lot of the updates were not available but I did get what ever there was and that is a lot better than I was doing.
Thanks, I have no idea how you came up with that site but I really appreciate it.
I do have 98SE but, the our charity prefers I only load what ever the Windows COA sticker on the computer says it has installed for legal reasons.
I know that the computers are given away but it is safer to be legal with the operating systems and prevent any possibility of criticism.
I would think this rule is because most of our computers are donated from companies, local government and business people so we are dealing with regulations, politics and unions and the like so we do not want to step on any toes, so to speak
Thanks again for your help, you always amaze me
Thanks again

Collapse -
Actually that one took a little more digging.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 6:06 AM PST

It appears there is no ready "Unauthorized" package. So that's the best I could come up with. I don't have any working Windows ME machines today and my last Windows 98 is some old laptop that is connected to my Dallas One Wire Weatherstation.

Bob

Collapse -
I, Too am a Mac!
by flyingsolo / March 6, 2007 3:31 PM PST

I'm using Windows ME. I wanted to install critical uptdates. I also got the message assuming I'm using a Mac. I diabled AVG and then I was able to get some updates. But later I tried to download some others and the message came up again. This time I can't get any updates even with disabling AVG. Anyone have answers?

Collapse -
Try
by Blue_Zee / March 6, 2007 3:38 PM PST
In reply to: I, Too am a Mac!

a cleanup using CCleaner:

www.ccleaner.com

Download, install and launch.

By default it will open on the "Cleaner" section.

Tick ALL items under the Windows and Applications tabs and hit the "Run Cleaner" button.

When it finishes reboot IMMEDIATELY and test.

Hope this helps.

Zee

Collapse -
Note
by Blue_Zee / March 9, 2007 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: See this link.

It seems Windows Update is working again for Win9x systems.

Zee

Collapse -
W98 and ME Updates via XP systems
by TONI H / April 5, 2007 9:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Note

If you go to the Update Center with an XP system, you can choose a Custom installation and then use the Admin Option on the left column. This will take you to a link to see the list of all of the Windows versions....and you can manually download (once you pick the version you want from the list) all updates available for it.

This will put all of the updates into a subfolder on your harddrive, each download will have its own folder named for what it is automatically. Once you have everything you need, including some from the list that Bob linked to from hpsfactor since some of those aren't on the MS site list, you can then burn the whole folder and subfolders with updates for the version windows you need them for to a cd that can be taken from machine to machine as needed.

I've done this for my older W98 customer systems, as well as the two ME systems I have here (one was given to my 8 yr old granddaughter and 7 yr old grandson for them to have at their house).

You'll find that at the Update Center, although some of the files are listed, a few of them 'fail' to download....they might have been incorporated into 'cumulative' patches/files instead or they may be for old IE 5.5 and aren't needed once you update to IE6 via the Update Center downloads anyhow.

TONI

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?