Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

UPDATES - April 21, 2004

by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2004 12:53 AM PDT

Update AVG 7.0 - AVI 262.9.3 and AVG 6.0 - 664
Added detection of new variants of Worm/Dedler.F, Worm/Lovsan.H.
- April 21, 2004 -

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPDATES - April 21, 2004
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPDATES - April 21, 2004
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New virus signature files for F-Prot Antivirus
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2004 12:59 AM PDT

New virus signature files for F-Prot Antivirus have been
released. These files are dated 20 April 2004 and contain
detection for W32/Netsky.Y@mm and other new threats.

To update the virus signature files please follow the
instructions below.

Windows users:
Connect to the Internet as you normally do and then open
F-Prot Antivirus. Click the 'Updater' button on the Info
menu, select 'Internet' in the menu that follows and click
'Update'. F-Prot Antivirus will then update the virus
signature files directly via the Internet.

UNIX users:
Use the check-updates.pl script (e.g, as a cron job) to
update the virus signature files through the Internet.

Collapse -
Update AVG 7.0 - AVI 262.9.4 and AVG 6.0 - 665 - Added detection of new variants of I-Worm/Netsky.Z.
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2004 3:46 AM PDT

- April 21, 2004 -

Collapse -
Windows Media Player (All Versions) Hotfix
by Donna Buenaventura / April 21, 2004 4:05 AM PDT

Windows Media Player (All Versions) for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 (KB832353)

After installation of Update for Windows Media Player Script Commands (KB828026), some URL script commands do not respond correctly. This package helps resolve the issue. In addition, it helps resolve an installer issue that could cause 100% CPU utilization in certain scenarios.

Quick Info

File Name: WindowsMedia-KB832353-ENU.exe
Download Size: 2795 KB
Date Published: 4/21/2004
Version: NT

Overview
After applying the hotfix referenced in KB article 828026, some URL script commands do not fire even though they would be expected to do so. In addition to the URL script command issues, this package addresses an issue with the installer that would cause 100% CPU utilization in certain scenarios.

System Requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d125d278-db07-4a36-8d64-8812e7f2af70&DisplayLang=en

Collapse -
spybot search and destroy v1.3rc4 available
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2004 4:09 AM PDT

Just to let u all know there is now a new release package of spybot v 1.3rc4, as all bugs reported in version rc3 have been fixed, so rc4 is out and ready to download at this link

http://www.spybot-updates.com/files/spybotsd13rc4.exe

Here is also the list of fixes that were made to rc3, that are now implemented in rc4 and are ok.

1. "Settings - Ignore products" doesn't show anything. Problem recognized. Problem fixed.

2. Shows old updates. Problem recognized. Will set MaxBuild flag of current updates asap to avoid updates for 1.2 shown in 1.3. MaxBuild now set to 20040413, meaning that all previous versions that need them will still show them.

3. Cookies fileset shows zero entries because cookies are detected through a helper file, not the fileset itself. Additionally list the number of detected products. Count now shown correctly

4. Startup tool is showing only first existing database entry, which could lead to misinterpretation of entries. Fixed - now if multiple entries for the same value exist, they will all be listed.

5. Removal of ******* trojan folders. Looks like it was readonly/system/hidden attributes set to each folder. Spybot-S&D is now cleaning those before removal for folders as well.

6. Monitor TeaTimer activity after terminated process. Found problem with scanning files on network drives... did let TeaTimer monitor a million app starts without a crash this night... previously a thousand were enough to hang the system...

7. Update Credits. Done

8. Avoid multiple instances of Spybot-S&D (old code was removed for 2003 compability)...

9. Make TeaTimer dialogs localized.

10. Add all domains that Immunize adds to the Restricted Zone to the Cookie-Block-List as well.
(correction: restricted zones already includes cookie blocking)

11. Let user choose during installation if TeaTimer and SDHelper should be installed.

12. Cookie immunization for 9x/ME. Fixed by doing this in HKEY_CURRENT_USER as well.
(update: is now done for all users)

13. TeaTimer and SDHelper checkboxes seem to be misbehaving sometimes.

Collapse -
Re:spybot search and destroy v1.3rc4 available
by glenn30 / April 21, 2004 8:02 AM PDT

Marianna, I am confused with this. I have Spybot v1.2 and update shows that I am current. Do I need v1.3rc4 and why the direct download rather that through the normal update procedure?

Thanks,

Happy

Glenn

Collapse -
Glenn
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2004 9:57 AM PDT

rc = release candidate - is still NOT the final product. I would wait! It is out of BETA - that's why it now has RC - I will post FINAL or NEW as the new spybot version is ready Happy

I hope, you are NOT confused anymore Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Marianna... confused no more. I will wait for final version. :))
by glenn30 / April 21, 2004 11:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Glenn
Happy
Collapse -
New virus signature files for F-Prot Antivirus
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2004 4:30 AM PDT

New virus signature files for F-Prot Antivirus have been
released. These files are dated 21 April 2004.

To update the virus signature files please follow the
instructions below.

Windows users:
Connect to the Internet as you normally do and then open
F-Prot Antivirus. Click the 'Updater' button on the Info
menu, select 'Internet' in the menu that follows and click
'Update'. F-Prot Antivirus will then update the virus
signature files directly via the Internet.

UNIX users:
Use the check-updates.pl script (e.g, as a cron job) to
update the virus signature files through the Internet.

Collapse -
AVAST - 22.4.2004, version: 0417-2
by Marianna Schmudlach / April 21, 2004 9:59 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?