Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Updateing my Bios?

by newell1967 / March 4, 2005 12:39 AM PST

I have a hp Pavilion 7840 766mhz cpu, Trigem Cognac MoBo, I have a PhoenixBios 4.0 release 6.0. I was told that if I update my Bios I should be able to get a 1ghz cpu to work on my MoBo which handles up to 800mhz cpu is this true? I did find an update for my Bios. I downloaded it. When I tried to create my boot disk an error came up. "Disk Initialization Error" error "Disk sector was not found" "Setup cannot properly initialize the disk that you inserted" I'm useing a 3M Double Density 1.0 mb disk. Am I useing the proper diskette? Thanks in advance for any help. westfield, ma

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Updateing my Bios?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Updateing my Bios?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't do it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Updateing my Bios?

The COGNAC board has too many owners posting they wish they had not updated it.

Windows ME has no bearing on your post so I'm going to share that you should not do this for more than a few reasons.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by newell1967 / March 5, 2005 1:45 AM PST
In reply to: Don't do it.

Ok. Wasn't sure where to put my post but i'll take your advice and not bother to update. Your advice in the past has helped. Thanks westfield,ma

Collapse -
Don't Dewit
by drill sgt / March 14, 2005 7:19 PM PST
In reply to: Don't do it.

Is that a general statement or just for the COGNAC pcb?
Reason for asking is, is updating the Bios something that is typically done? If so, how? I have a '02 Compaq Presario 5004US, 1.1GHz cpu,512MB,60G HD, Win ME. It's had its share of problems of late, but was curious if Bios update will improve sys. ops? tnx, cya

Collapse -
That's for the COGNAC based systems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2005 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: Don't Dewit

If you dew a little research you find people desperate to go back to some other revision.

I don't see in your post any reason to update the BIOS. But given the age of the system I would power down, remove the cover and clean it out. Dust bunny removal and then power up and see if all the fans are in good working order.

Bob

Collapse -
Cleaning the box
by Aivas / March 15, 2005 5:17 AM PST

Interesting you should mention cleaning the CPU box out. The Langalist monthly column included a long story about vacuuming (carefully!) and cleaning out the dust and crud. It included pictures of 'the dirtiest computer I could find'.

http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-02-28.htm

Bob K

Collapse -
Bios, Cognac, Hard Drive
by bonz / April 1, 2005 6:46 AM PST

I have the same system as newell1967 with the exception that I've upgraded to Xp Pro. I could not find a Bios update anywhere. My question is: Would there be any problems if I used a 160 GB HD even though Bios only sees 137 GB.
Thanks

Collapse -
The only problem I found was...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2005 1:08 AM PST

When the person tried to move said 160GB drive from the machine with the old BIOS to a new machine. The contents vanished. They didn't move the drive back and began trying data recovery software which removed any easy possibility of saving their files.

This was their lesson about backup.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.