Laptops forum

General discussion

updated "whats the best gaming laptop"

by jeweler5262 / October 18, 2007 4:22 AM PDT

like the question back in 05, i would like a updated report on , what is the best gaming laptop, money being not an issue. it always seems to come down to alienware and dell, i wold also like to know if toshiba or sony come into play here{no pun intended}. i do like the alienware , but have heard alot of negitive about it...but then you always hear the worst in most forems......anyone have any opinions on "the best gaming laptop for 2007"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: updated "whats the best gaming laptop"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: updated "whats the best gaming laptop"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Alienware, not a contender yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 5:11 AM PDT

Search our and other forums about parts and repair issues. My word for them is "avoid."

Dell's new monster is really not so bad in price if you compare to just a few years ago.

Bob

Collapse -
this is what dell offers ......looks pretty good
by jeweler5262 / October 18, 2007 5:56 AM PDT

for $4,220.00
223-1650
1 Dell XPS M1730, Mobile Intel 2.4GHz, 4MB, 800 FSB Merom
310-9525
1 PERSONALIZATION SHIELD, LCD COLOR WING OPTION,GRAY
311-7447
1 4GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm for XPS M1730
320-5788
1 17 UltraSharp TrueLife Wide screen WUXGA for XPS M1730
320-5790
1 NVIDIA G84 in SLI, for XPS M17
341-5482
1 Serial ATA RAID 0 with Dual 200GB Hard Drives
420-6815
1 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Edition English,Inspiron
420-7100
1 Media Direct 3.3
313-5591
1 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
420-6464
1 Roxio Creator Basic
313-4217
1 Integrated High Definition Audio, Inspiron
430-2582
1 Intel 4965 WLAN (802.11a/g/n) Mini Card
320-5789
1 Logitech Gaming LCD
312-0603
1 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for XPS M1730
312-0604
1 80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Additional Battery, for XPS M1730
988-0669
1 LoJack Theft Recovery Service - 2 Year
A0767894
1 Computrace LoJack for Laptops - 2 Year CompleteCare Bundle
430-2655 1 Dell Wirless 355 Bluetooth Module (2.0+EDR)
320-6171 1 AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator
310-9348 1 Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor

i'm kinda leaning toward this...i think your right, alien is ok at pc's , but they need work on other isuies ......

Collapse -
See that 4GB? Will you be upset?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

If Windows reports 3.5GB and limits applications to using 2.0GB RAM?

This area is where I think 2GB is the spot to stop.

Bob

Collapse -
naw it's cheaper than the 2 g one lol
by jeweler5262 / October 18, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

pardom my ignorance in these matters.....i do graphics , flash and site work.....i hate being so specialized......but your right if it cant be used, then why get it. a question....would i ever want that ? and if not why is it offered..ok , the obvious ...$$$$$$, but besides that is there a reason for it....this configuration is 200dollars less than one with 2gb....i guess thats why, they dont know what to do with those 4gers , hehe

Collapse -
To catch up on the 4GB issue type this into google...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 8:30 AM PDT

XP /3GB SWITCH

(applies to Vista too)

Collapse -
too deep for me
by jeweler5262 / October 18, 2007 11:24 AM PDT

ok after perusing the suggested info i see its a bit to deep for me, and souds a bit like it's exceding the suggested specs to do that, but what do i know....actually i digressed, i really just wanted to know the best, tricked up gammers laptop available today. i did an extremely sucsesfull set of art shows and want to treat myself...most the reviews i'd seen were a year or 2 old. i'm sure i'm not the only one wanting that question answered , {please, hopes this is not a holy grail scenerio}

so , simply put what is the best gammers laptop available today?

Collapse -
The m1730 is ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: too deep for me

About as good as it gets this year.

Bob

Collapse -
Go for Rock
by migthegreek / October 18, 2007 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: too deep for me

I don't know why you guys are looking at Dell for gaming laptops. Alienware are too expensive, and need to work on their laptops.

I just got a Rock and they're awesome. This is the best one I can find, which will set you back about

Collapse -
Rock is the Clevo product in England and Europe.
by orlbuckeye / October 18, 2007 8:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Go for Rock

In the United States look at Sager, which are also clevo machines.

Collapse -
ok lemme see here
by jeweler5262 / October 19, 2007 11:24 AM PDT

if sager/clevo/rock are the same machine as the alienware ...then wouldn't they have the same issuies, overheating and such?
alienware says..."they no longer have the overheating problems after changing prosessers (they used to use pc prosessors?)". are there any reviews on the m9750? if its just the price that ticks ppl off , i mean they all like the rock version....maybe i'm just slow, hehe. pc magazine gave the rock, top of the year pick , although it does get hot. i like the idea of spending less for quality, but if i get the same issues...lordy , this is quite the tangled web...so its back to the dell?

Collapse -
i give!
by jeweler5262 / October 19, 2007 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: ok lemme see here

after all this i guess i'll put the bucks away , use my vaio, untill the "Core 2 Extreme mobile processor and the GeForce 8700M GT" as the c/net guys mentioned, come rolling out, should be soon...hopes, hopes. we expected it this year, which is almost gone, i dont see them anywhere yet. i know as soon as i order the dell, (the safe bet , all the new stuff will crop up......no keeping up i guess

Collapse -
Alienware's machines are
by orlbuckeye / October 20, 2007 8:57 PM PDT
In reply to: ok lemme see here

mostly Arima and not Clevo. They have used Clevo before but most of their machines are Arima.

Collapse -
AGEIA PhysX Physics Accelerator
by v12stuart / December 16, 2007 9:52 AM PST

i just bought a dell xps 1730 without a Physics Accelerator basically because i think its a gimick. there are few games in which it's compatible and the improvement isnt much better. ive played on a friends comp who has one with and without it activated and all you get is little bits of wood flying at you when you blow something up for instance. ghost recon i dont think is a very good game and its pretty much the best game for the physics accelerator. if your contemplating buying one i dont recommend it. too much money for what it does

Collapse -
I've recently taken delivery of the X7900 XPS M1730...
by fbbbb / October 28, 2007 8:29 AM PDT

... and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I took a long look around before I bought the M1730, and the delay helped me out in making a firm choice.

The leading contender was the Clevo Santa Rosa 17" platform sold under various nsames by Rock, Sager and Voodoo but the Dell - also based on a Santa Rosa chipset - offered more. The Clevo was a still-portable machine and a bit half-assed, while the Dell is more of a DTR and I realised, more of what I wanted. I have other more portable machines, and the use for this was going to be a transportable DTR. In that way, I think it's pretty much perfect.

The M1730 overclocks to 3Ghz without any readily discernible noise / performance penalty and it seems to me that there's no need to run at 2.8 at all. With 3.2 there's a noise penalty and 3.4 seems to be unstable. I haven't really played with nTune yet, but I daresay the SLI 8700m's are overclockable.

Looking around post-purchase, I still think this is the best choice I could have made in terms of function. What I don't like about it is the casing: The patterning makes the machine look untidy and I'd have liked flat colour options.

Collapse -
new xps m1730
by shorffy / June 3, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

hi everyone and hi again bob
i have been looking into buying a m1730 and have done my research on it over the past couple of months and was wondering weather to get a 2.1ghz cpu and upgrade to maybe the T9500 or even the X9000. would this be sensible or would it be better to get a one with the X9000 installed

Collapse -
I'm not bob.
by fbbbb / June 3, 2009 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: new xps m1730

My M1730's have been gone for quite a while. My DTR GPU use gravitated to more work-related stuff in any case, so a swap was made to the Dell Precision M6400 Covet late last year.

However I am currently eyeing the Alienware M17x as a separate purchase - still some shades of 13-year-old gamer, but quite slinky looking for a hulking machine. Have you taken a look at that machine?

Collapse -
XPS
by Renegade Knight / June 4, 2009 4:56 AM PDT

My XPS (same model as yours if I'm not mistaken) is about to go in for warranty work. One of the keys died.

May you have better luck with Dell that I have had.

Collapse -
VOODOO PC
by khoa phan / October 28, 2007 1:49 PM PDT

if money is not the issue.
i would get a VOODOO laptop.
crazy desktop cpu core 2 duo extreme...X6800
u to 3 hard drives: so think of 3 hitachi 200gb 7200rpm
7950gtx SLI

if i win the lottery, i would get he voodoo H:171

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.