Computer Help forum

General discussion

Update video card

by PatrickWM / June 11, 2007 7:31 AM PDT

I have an emachins T6212 with an ati200 video card that i want to upgrade as easy as possible. . I know it has an pci express slot, but what card would work and is as easy as just "plug in and done"? I'm not a gamer, I just want to support a better monitor. Recently purchased an HPw2007 because my old monitor quit working.
3200amd athlon 64 , 160 gb hard drive, 512 mb ddr sdram..

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update video card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update video card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's up to you...
by John.Wilkinson / June 11, 2007 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Update video card

Basically, any PCIe (PCI Express) card will be fine, though power consumption may be a concern with higher-level graphics cards. The more powerful the card the more power it will draw, and your computer's power supply may not be able to handle it. Unfortunately that detail is not included in the eMachines spec sheet, so I can't give you a specific number. You'll need to peek into the case and look at the label of the PSU (in the top back corner) to find out what its capacity is.

The instructions will walk you through the installation process. It's not quite plug-and-done since you also need to install software/drivers (either from CD or by downloading the latest from the graphics card's manufacturer), but it's not that bad. Just be gentle but firm when inserting the card and let us know if you encounter any problems.

If you report back on your power supply (check for the wattage, like 350W) and your price range and we'll give you some guidance in your selection process.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Video card
by PatrickWM / June 12, 2007 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: It's up to you...

Thanks,
John 300 watts is computers power supply , and I'm looking to stay at or under $200 for the new card .

Pat

Collapse -
the xpress 200m intergrated graphics support up to 2536x2536
by ramarc / June 11, 2007 12:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Update video card

so it should handle your 20" widescreen. what is the problem?

Collapse -
video card
by PatrickWM / June 12, 2007 5:31 AM PDT

I might have listed the card wrong its an ATI Radeon 200 and only supports 1024 x 768 according to what I read in the specs. But I really don't know much about computers.

Collapse -
emachine t6212 has integrated graphics
by ramarc / June 12, 2007 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: video card

not a video card. http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T-Series&model=T6212
the xpress 200 graphics should be able to accomodate a 20" widescreen. I think the Windows Media Center configuration is probably the culprit.

Open Media Center > Click Settings > Click General > Click Media Center Setup > Click Configure your TV or Monitor.

Follow the on screen instructions and select a display width that matches your monitor (16:9 or 16:10).

You might also consider downloading the radeon graphics drivers directly from ATI. http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/mce/integrated-mce.html They should allow you select any resolution your monitor supports.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.