Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Update on Spy Coin Caper

Spy coin caper loses currency with retraction from U.S. defence agency

OTTAWA (CP) - It seems there's no danger of your spare change spying on you after all.

A U.S. government defence agency has suddenly retracted its claim that Canadian coins containing tiny transmitters were planted on at least three American contractors who visited Canada.

It's the latest twist in an intriguing cash caper.

Canadians began carefully scrutinizing their loonies following the Virginia-based Defense Security Service's claim that specially doctored coins were a new tool of the trade for shadowy figures out to steal sensitive U.S. military technology.

"On at least three separate occasions between October 2005 and January 2006, cleared defense contractors' employees traveling through Canada have discovered radio frequency transmitters embedded in Canadian coins placed on their persons," said the service's annual counterintelligence report for 2006.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update on Spy Coin Caper
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update on Spy Coin Caper
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"The allegations were found later to be unsubstantiated

In reply to: Update on Spy Coin Caper

from link:

In a statement posted late Friday on its website, the Defense Security Service said the coin claims were based on a report provided to the agency.

"The allegations, however, were found later to be unsubstantiated following an investigation into the matter," the statement said, adding that "the 2006 annual report should not have contained this information."

"now we know it DID occur". courtesy of unconfirmed reliable anonymous former disgruntled employee of the now defunct but still active: 'ministry of disinformation and misconstrued allegations'. 2006

Collapse -
RE: disgruntled employee

In reply to: "The allegations were found later to be unsubstantiated

The "disgruntled employee" should be locked up.

Collapse -
Is it just me, or does there seem to be an organized effort

to poison US Canadian relations? Relations between the two countries have been very good until the last 10 or 15 years, since when a succession of American Ambassadors have stirred up trouble with Canada over trivial issues or issues which touch on Canadian sovereignty (viz. Canadian health care), and there has been an American trade war with Canada over a variety of items, each of which has been found groundless by a succession of agencies who administer such disputes. Until quite recently the US has ignored rulings by the NAFTA trade disputes mechanism and GATT, as well as other bodies involved in regulating trade.

As an ex-pat, it's embarassing to have trivial bogus issues raised, its several steps past embarassing to have bad spy fiction treated as fact and bandied about US news services as a fact that Canada is trying to spy on American diplomats, businessmen or agents. It's always easier to start an unfounded rumor than it is to quell it. I bet the public at large 2 years from now will still think Canada deliberately tried to plant non-existent transmitters on American diplomats or agents.

Rob

Collapse -
I don't think so.

In reply to: Is it just me, or does there seem to be an organized effort

There have been trade wars between our countries for year.

I think the logical answer is the "disgruntled former employee".

I also think the agencies are much too smart to pull such a scam as there is no need for it. We don't spy on each other, and our battles are out there for all to see.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Well,

"Canadians began carefully scrutinizing their loonies....."
gave me a chuckle. Guess we also speak the Queens english, but gee, loonies are usually in our state insane institutions getting a little scrutininzing. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.