Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

update on my nanny who had the stroke

by peggysue / November 1, 2004 12:44 AM PST

1st off ide like to thank all the "angels" who sent well wishes and prayers for her recovery.....

approx. 3 weeks ago my nanny had a massive stroke while in her room at atlantic city..... she was in a coma for a few days and icu....( nurses reminded us she had a "massive " stroke and things did not look well........ after approx 5 days she was then well enough to be in a regular room... we all held hope and prayed things would look up soon....

she was able to slowly open her eyes a little bit and also make hand movements and move her feet, though they said was not not able to hear us i beg to differ on that...

we had her transported closer to home as she was 2 hrs away... and she is now in a rehab center, been to visit her and its not been easy seeing her like this... she is on oxygen a few times during the day and also on a feeding tube for 20 hrs a day, she is getting speech therapy as well as regular therapy......
again she would follow us around the room and squeeze our hands as to signal she saw and could hear us and what we were saying....

well today....... MOM CALLED AND SAID SHE IS DRINKING FROM A STRAW AND THEY ARE FEEDING HER FOOD... IM SOOOOOOOOO RELIEVED AND HAPPY! what a complete turn around within the last 3 weeks....... im in shock, really and am gonna go see her in a little while.....

ive never given up on my nanny and know she has been a fighter... nanny is 84 and up until she had her stroke she was fine, still walking ,talking ,driving and living her life.. so when this happened suddenly we were all taken back......

this is all so much for me to take in during this time in my life, but im happy all my prayers are being answered, GOD bless you all, be well and i'll talk to ya soon.

sincerely, peg and family

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: update on my nanny who had the stroke
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: update on my nanny who had the stroke
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you for the good news, take care...
by jonah jones / November 1, 2004 12:52 AM PST
Collapse -
go granny go
by TONI H / November 1, 2004 12:55 AM PST

Thanks for the update and I'm glad it's good news. It will be happy holidays after all, it seems.

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wonderful news! Happy for you and yours, peggysue!
by Cindi Haynes / November 1, 2004 1:16 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: update on my nanny who had the stroke
by MKay / November 1, 2004 1:29 AM PST

I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers. And God keep you all close not matter what He decides to do.

Collapse -
Re: update on my nanny who had the stroke
by crowsfoot / November 1, 2004 5:05 AM PST

Thanks for the up-date, Peg. You, I'm sure, don't need advice from me, but I'm so very full to here with it! Wink

For a month or so the brain is swollen and in the process of absorbing the dead tissue. This puts pressure on the undamaged part and decreases the blood flow. It'll be months and months before you'll get a real feel for how much she's lost and what she has left. Maximum improvement usually takes a year to a year and a half. She'll need someone (you?) to not panic and relate to her as though all-is-well, time-is-long and what-the-heck: nobody is perfect. She'll probably try to cover up, and a lot of semi-gibberish will come out of her mouth. Remind her of her injury once in a while, don't go along as though nothing has changed, but DO try your best to interpret what she is trying to say. Don't push. You'll get the knack. Shared memories are tools. I bet'cha she has a lot more of her real self left than anyone will admit. Still, it's a brand new chapter in her life and social interfaces will be very different than what she's used to. One last: YOU are not everything to her! Don't try. Praise her bravery. If my guess is right, she'll help you through this as much or more than you do her. What will be, will be.

Love and best wishes.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: to crowsfoot ... and all
by peggysue / November 1, 2004 12:35 PM PST

well i went to see her today.. and everyday is new to all of us.... she looked good, and we went and watched her have her therapy today ( my 1st time seeing this) she did WELL she was kicking her one foot when the dr asked her to, she was able to sit up when asked.. and she was able to take and hold some plastic colored cones from the dr. when asked to do so.....
nanny also did alot of word search puzzles and we brought in her book and was handing it to her and asking her.. " saying nan, do you remmber , you like to do these puzzles and she attempted to try to nod her head.. she also was flipping through the pages of the book one handed before she lost her grip and dropped it.. so again, good signs ide say...

she looks very dazed and we are all wondering if she may not be able to see?:( my mom is taking this very hard, and is thinking negative and i keep telling her not too.... time will tell.... but nanny can hear us and squeeze our hand when we ask etc... im happy with what i have sen since day 1 .. 3 weeks ago.....sad thing is , is that me and my mom have been the only ones to see her.... but as long as she knows we are there things will work out.:)

bob,

thank you for sharing the information with me...ive tried to get some information online as to how to help and work with stroke victims and didnt come up with much other then what it really is and what its done to the body... so any other helpful sites info. ide surely appreciate.....
the nurses told us, YES talk to her as she is normal( lack of better wording) and include her, so ive been telling her what day it is, talking about weather, tv shows, how her great granddaughter is doing( my lil girl who is Cool
i also told her i'de come back and do her nails for her.....we can see her moving her mouth alot and tryin to speak as to making moaning sounds which is also a plus!
another thing one of the therapist had said while we were there a few days back is keep her awake while we are there daily..... n talk with her etc... and she noted my nanny seemed like she didnt want to acknowledge we were there and was ignoring us on purpose????? grin*** so we kept at it and was able to keep her up for a lil while ... they have been giving her tylenol for pain? i keep forgetting to ask the nurses about this and why? are they usually in pain?

ive got so many questions to ask on all this and im going to make an appt. with her dr./nurses to sit with them and get as much information as i can... ive been so busy and running and when im there.. it just keeps slipping my mind.. thanks again for taking the time to write to me and offer help and suggestions... i sincerely appreciate it.. all my best, be well, peggy and family

Collapse -
Re: to crowsfoot ... and all
by Diane Harrison / November 1, 2004 1:29 PM PST

Peggysue, best of wishes to youand your nanny!

It's very hard to see a person in that condition, but the more contact you have with her as a family, or individually, the more she is likely to come back. Touching her arm and talking to her normally will help calm her and will also convey how much you love her.

When my stepkids were in a near fatal auto accident, and the younger daughter was in a coma for quite some time, I watched the recovery of all the heart patients who were taking the same type of rehavilitation training as our daughter finally did when she came out of the coma. The heart patients did remarkable! They went from nearly totally disabled, to speaking with a slur, to being up and about and proudly regaining their lives. The transformation was infinitely more rapid than I ever thought possible for them (not the same with brain injury patients unfortunately).

Reading to her, talking to her, and brushing her hair are things that can bring a lot of joy. Painting her nails is a very kind and well considered act also. Playing music that she enjoys will greatly aid in making her day more pleasant - just nothing sad though, or anything that brings back back memories,

If she has any tubes in her still (down her throat, or even the IVs in the arm), they are likely giving her some pain medication to ease some of the discomfort from that. Obviously they can't give aspirin because it's a blood thinner, so the Tylenol is probably their drug of choice.

You can even make a game of trying to figure out what she wants, so long as you don't tire her out doing that. I was always able to tell by the fluctuatons in blood pressure and heart rate when I hit a topic that was meaningful.

You have the right attitude to not give up and just do what you instinctively know she will like. When I later talked to my daughter about what she remembered about the coma, she did not remember the coma when asked directly, but it was obvious some of what we did got through to her, since she would mention things later that she could only have known when she was alert to her surroundings (like when I got a pair of new tennis shoes for her that pinched the side of one of her feet and hurt or when we read her a particular story). She was a vegetable, as far as we could tell then, although the doctors said she was technically "out of the coma." So, never give up on believimg that your nanny can hear you and know what you are saying. She will always recognize the love you have for her and that heals better than any medicine yet known to mankind Happy

Collapse -
A lot of people are pulling for her...
by Blake Cook / November 1, 2004 1:11 PM PST

I'm glad to hear that you're finally seeing some positive progress with your grandmother. Peg, please keep us updated as her health continues to improve. A lot of people are pulling for her...

Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great news Peggy - hope she fully recovers
by SteveGargini / November 1, 2004 1:46 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!