Computer Help forum

General discussion

update my driver help!

by being_doug / February 27, 2006 9:12 AM PST

i would love to find out how to update my driver you know the one that reads dvds and cds the problem isnt that it doesnt read it does its just that i got it hooked up to an external dvd burner and the highest the drive reads dvds is 4x and the external burner is 16 x the cds are fine the drive reads them at 48x its just that i hate waiting when im burning something 4x is slow compared to 16x so um is there a way to update it if there is how and by the way i have a laptop the model is the toshiba satellite a85-s107 so can somebody please help me!!!!!!!!!!1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: update my driver help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: update my driver help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What is the model of the DVD burner, and what OS?
by John.Wilkinson / February 27, 2006 9:16 AM PST
In reply to: update my driver help!
Collapse -
its a memorex
by being_doug / February 27, 2006 9:30 AM PST

the dvd burner is a memorex i dont know the model of the dvd burner but im gonna look it up the thing is im moving today so its been hectic i gota find it through all the rubble but im on my laptop and i have the model number for that and my operating system is i know of its 256 mb ram and my laptop its a toshiba satellite a85-s107 im not too good with computers um what other information would you need?

Collapse -
Bozope, Run-on Sentences Are Hard To Understand..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 9:24 AM PST
In reply to: update my driver help!

A few "periods" would allow your post to be understood better. It's hard to know what you do and don't have installed.

What type of disks are you using?

Do you have two separate DVD drives? Or only one external drive? One internal which "reads" DVD's at 4x and the other, external, which reads and "burns" DVD's faster?

If that's the case, does the internal drive have a read speed capacity of 4x? If that's the case, there's not much that will speed it up.. It's designed that way and older DVD-Rom's may not be able to read any faster.

And if you're trying to burn to DVD-RW disks, they generally tend to burn slower than standard DVD disks. Many only allow a 4x speed for burning although they can read at 16x.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
sorry im new at this
by being_doug / February 27, 2006 9:33 AM PST

um my external burner burns them at 16x and my optical drive in my laptop) reads them up to 4x i use dvd-r disks thats all i use i went to google i looked up my computer and it says that it only reads dvds at 4x i want to know if i can update the optical drive to 16 x

Collapse -
Clarification...
by John.Wilkinson / February 27, 2006 12:09 PM PST
In reply to: sorry im new at this

* In your initial post you were looking to increase the burning speed of your external DVD+/-RW drive, but in your most recent post you are looking to increase the speed at which your internal drive reads DVDs. Which one are you looking to accomplish, or is it both?

* I looked up your computer's specs and found that your internal DVD-ROM drive can read DVDs at 8x. Are you sure it's running at 4x?

* What speed media are you using? Each DVD is rated at a different speed, so if you have a DVD player capable of 16x and a DVD limited to 4x, you are only going to be able to play it at 4x. The only way around this would be to purchase DVDs that support 16x speeds.

* If your DVD-ROM only reads DVDs at 8x, you're pretty much stuck at 8x unless the manufacturer has released a firmware (not driver) update that increases the maximum speed supported by the drive. The same goes for your DVD burner.

* For any guidance dealing with your internal DVD-ROM drive and external DVD+/-RW, we need to know the exact model number of the drives. You can look on the outside of your external drive, but for the internal drive you'll need to download and install a free program such as Everest. Look under optical drives and write down the model number.

* Updating your firmware can be risky, and if done improperly it could render your drive unusable. Thus, I'd suggest just continuing at it's current speed, or purchasing a new, faster drive.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. Like Grif mentioned, please use punctuation...it makes posts much easier to read and understand.

Collapse -
ok
by being_doug / February 27, 2006 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: Clarification...

um 8x really? when i record i use 16x dvd-r media and the problem with that is my drive only goes up to 4x i dont know where it says 8x but its 4x ive had this laptop for like 8months and im getting tired of the optical drive its too slow when i know i have a external burner that burns dvds at 16x i dont know what else to say?

Collapse -
Bozope, If You Want A Faster 'Read' Speed..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: sorry im new at this

...replace the internal drive with something newer and faster.. I know of no such firmware or driver updates that will increase the read speed of a DVD drive as you would like.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
how much does it cost
by being_doug / February 27, 2006 1:26 PM PST

im not too good at this im just asking how much will it cost and where could i get that done?

Collapse -
Check this out.....
by crazeebob2000 / February 27, 2006 4:14 PM PST
In reply to: how much does it cost
Collapse -
Apology
by crazeebob2000 / February 27, 2006 4:18 PM PST
In reply to: Check this out.....

Sorry bout that. I've never worked on a laptop pc. Its late and I wasn't paying attention.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!