PC Applications forum

General discussion

Update Manager won't quit!

I recently bought a DELL INSPIRON 600M (WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SP2 INTEL CELERON 1.40 GHZ 512 MB RAM). It included a variety of software already installed when I received it. Recently, whenever I boot up or open the SONIC DigitalMedida LE v7 software, the Sonic Update manager opens an tries to ''update'' the software. However, I get an error message that follows.

THE FEATURE YOU ARE TRYING TO USE IS ON A CDROM OR OTHER REMOVABLE DISK THAT IS NOT AVAILABLE

INSERT THE 'SONIC UPDATE MANAGER' DISK AND CLICK OK

I do not recall receiving a CDROM for this sofware when I purchased the machine

Furthermore, if I click cancel, the Update Manager reopens and I get the same error message. The only way to stop it is to hit the cancel button repeatedly to preempt the upadate program for fully launching.

What is causing this? Is it a virus? I have run the anti-virus software (Norton) and the problem persists? Or can I control the update manager and specify that I don't want it to try and update? Any suggestions would help. Thanks

PB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update Manager won't quit!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update Manager won't quit!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you checked their web site

In reply to: Update Manager won't quit!

Sometimes you can go there, http://www.sonic.com/ and click on support and get the latest updates. Maybe this will help your situation.
Only a suggestion
Eddie

Collapse -
updates

In reply to: Have you checked their web site

I checked the SONIC site. All the downloads cost $. I don't want to pay to upgrade, I just want the Update Manager to stop prompting me. Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Collapse -
Try msconfig

In reply to: updates

Try turning the updater off in msconfig.

Collapse -
msconfig

In reply to: Try msconfig

Excuse my ignorance, but what is msconfig. Are we talking the control panel in windows XP? Or something else? Thanks for the clarification.

Collapse -
Msconfig...

In reply to: msconfig

Msconfig is the System Configuration Utility, seperate from the control panel, and can be accessed by going start->run and typing in msconfig. If you check out the Services and Startup tabs you find lists of just about everything that's set to boot when your computer does. Scroll down through and see if you find anything related to Sonic's updater (go by name, manufacturer, and/or location), and if you do, uncheck the box next to it to disable. Click OK, restart your computer then or later, and the next time you boot your computer and receive an alert about selective startup tell it not to remind you again.

However, I may have a better solution for you. Check add/remove programs from the control panel and uninstall Sonic DigitalMedia. Then click here to download/install the latest version from Dell. With a little luck that will solve the problem at it's root.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
same thing

In reply to: Msconfig...

this same thing happens to me and it is one of the most anoying things and is a huge inconvienence from dell

anyways i tried msconfig sometime ago and it did not work

so i tried deleting anything that could make it happen from my computer and it will not let me delete 'sonic up date manger' (which is what keeps popping up everything trying to install itself) so i basicly have tried everything there is to think of but download i am downloading the update now and will let you know how it worked

Collapse -
MSCONFIG/Sonic Update Manager

In reply to: same thing

Sorry for not posting earlier, had emergency surgery earlier this week. I browsed the startup options in the MSCONFIG and did not see any options for the SONIC Update Manager, however, this did allow me keep REAL Player from opening every time I boot up. I would like very much to know of anyone elses experiences with the upgrades or other software offered by SONIC. This made me wonder:

Will my DVD-R/CD RW only work with the software that was provided when I purchased my computer? If I use a different software, will it automatically detect the settings and capabilities of my DVD/CD drive, or do I need to specify these during set-up? I'm sure it varies with each program, but just curious if I am stuck with SONIC?

Collapse -
same problem

In reply to: MSCONFIG/Sonic Update Manager

Collapse -
Thanks a lot!

In reply to: same problem

I've had the same problem as Paolo since I got my Dell 9300 a couple of months ago. I was about to delete all Sonic products from my computer because of the annoying message. I am really pleased that I checked the internet today and found this discussion on CNET.

Joey, thank you so much for your advice. I already had the "check for updates" unchecked, so that was not the problem. But I uninstalled the "Sonic Update Manager" and reinstalled using the link you provided. IT WORKED! I restarted my computer and the annoying message did not appear anymore!!! Thanks!!!!

Collapse -
sonic update manager problem

Thank you so much, I bought the Dell XPS recently and was getting frustrated with that sonic update business.
the uninstall and install with the link you privided worked!!!

Collapse -
Same here!

I had the exact same problem on my Dimension 3000 and the uninstall/reinstall fixed it. Here's another thanks to Joey!

Collapse -
Sonic Update Manager

In reply to: Same here!

Had the same issues with a new Dell Dimension 9150. Used Joey's suggestion and link. It worked and I no longer get the update manager. Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
Problem

I can't uninstall update manager. When i try to the the original error message from dtownpaolo happens. I used the link below and it installed a new update manager and in Add Remove programs in control panel there are 2 Sonic Update Managers and there is one which has on size displayed on the right. Is there a way for my to delete or remove this.

Thank Philip

Collapse -
You can use any...

You can use any software you like with your optical drives, and if it's any good it will automatically detect everything. Sonic, Roxio, and Nero are the top three, but there are plenty of free burning programs as well. CDBurnerXP is one, and others can be found by clicking here.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
I hate to tell people to hack the registry, but.....

I hate to tell people to hack the registry, but this is the only way I've found to get rid of Roxio's anmoying InstallShield Update manager without having MSCONFIG constantly telling me I'm starting up in less than normal mode. BTW, in MSCONFIG you are looking for the entry "issch" as that is the executable that runs as a Process.

The registry folder for some startups, including this one, is:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Just delete the entry for this offensive program (Roxio - Hint, any program is offensive that doesn't give you a way to uninstall or shut it off from autostartup).

You might find other programs you think you can do without automatically starting up in the folder, go ahead carefully. Just remember that if you kill the registry by removing the wrong thing, you can kill your system, so use caution and KNOW your eliminating the right thing.

Collapse -
Another InstallShield Update Manager entry...

In reply to: I hate to tell people to hack the registry, but.....

There is another entry to eliminate as well, sorry I missed it the first time. In the same registry folder:
ISUSPM

Roxio should have included a shutoff option for this junk software!

Collapse -
Why are you replying to a 2006 post?

In reply to: I hate to tell people to hack the registry, but.....

I should think they have moved on by now.

Mark

Collapse -
It's been awhile. I'm locking this one.

In reply to: Why are you replying to a 2006 post?

Old posts such as these are useful for reference but let's lock it and let it fade away.
Bob

Collapse -
Microsoft Works Calendar doesn't work

In reply to: Msconfig...

I have a Dell Dimension 3100 and really need to use the Calendar system in Microsoft Works. Unfortunately everytime I try to set it up, a box pops up to tell me that it is not possible to use this as there are missing files. I have contacted Dell and they don't wanto to know - they say it is down to Microsoft as it is a software problem. Microsoft say that it is down to Dell because it was installed when the Computer was made. I have emailed Dell with this info, and have asked them to help, but they simply will not reply to my emails. Has anyone any experience of this, and how to sort it?

Collapse -
How bad do you want to fix this?

In reply to: Microsoft Works Calendar doesn't work

I think the obvious solution is to buy Microsoft Works in the retail box and then Microsoft is on the hook and you move out of the finger pointing dilemma.

You didn't write this was not an option.

Bob

Collapse -
Dell responded to fix this

In reply to: Update Manager won't quit!

The roxio they used had errors. Here is what Dell advised: download and install this utility from the link http://tools.roxio.com/support/dell/isum_hotfix.exe

The File Download - Security Warning window appears.
Click Run
The Internet Explorer - Security Warning window appears.
Click Run.
The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.
Click Yes.
The Sonic - ISUM Hotfix Setup window appears.
Click Yes when the reboot prompt appears.

GOOD LUCK

Collapse -
Sonic Activation Module Error Message

In reply to: Dell responded to fix this

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.