Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Update: Ganges river flushed for Hindu bathers

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update: Ganges river flushed for Hindu bathers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update: Ganges river flushed for Hindu bathers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) I was in the shower: ouch hot ouch hot hot hot

In reply to: Update: Ganges river flushed for Hindu bathers

Collapse -
Wonder how long they....

.... have been "flushing" the river over the years.

I doubt that the number of bathers in itself presents a problem. But it's the seweage and waste that would.

Long ago our city swimming pool was drained and cleaned once a week. Of course, it was chlorinated, and tests were taken several times per day. But the water did start turning a tad green at the end of the week.

Then I think about the lakes and creeks in which we swam, usually near farms.:-)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
thanks for bringing a vital public health issue

In reply to: Wonder how long they....

into a discussion. we can never be reminded often enough that potable water and pollution free air are two of the most important gifts we have. to be effective stewards we must never stop stressing how harmful myopic views of the environment can be.

is there a big handle somewhere they have to jiggle?

Collapse -
re: potable water

In reply to: thanks for bringing a vital public health issue

years ago when my brother was a Boy Scout, there were some sort of pills they carried with them on outings. Those were for being able to drink the creek, etc. water they found.

Of course, that was years agoi before so much pollution, so I don't know if they would be effective nowadays.

When I was a kid, one didn't make snow cream until after the first snow. I reckon folks gfiqured the first snow cleaned the air. Happy I remember when we quit making snow cream for our kids due to what we saw when it melted. That "dirt" wasn't present years ago although the use of coal furnaces was so common.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
part of the unofficial scout code we learned

In reply to: re: potable water

from the older boys at our first over-nighter was to: "drink upstream, pee downstream". 'forest elegant' simple and you never forgot it.

going back a post: I try never to swim in pools unless I am first in, I dislike chlorine so that hardly ever happens.

when I went to places that had public hot tubs I liked them enough to convince myself the heat would kill the germs. showered afterwards anyway. another bugaboo is when the hot tubs are not that large and strangers of my gender interrupt my solitude. out I go, new unfamiliar knees are more than uncomfortable.

once I was working in kansas and was invited to a picnic. I asked her if there was somewhere that we could go that had a swimming hole. she knew of one and off we went. it was on the back of a farmer's field but it had a small pier where you could dangle your feet and it was deep enough to jump but not dive in. what good be better than swimming with 'dorothy' on a hot kansas afternoon.

about 20-30 minutes after we entered the water I heard splashing and thrashing in our pasture pool. what I heard was a herd. yep the cows. apparently this was their swimming hole too. bovines do not share our hygiene etiquette and began relieving themselves from not only the heat.

well it was hot. not crowded. so we decided to stay. I think we annoyed them and off they went to 'mow' the lawn. the laughter lasted the rest of the day.

"farm girls, ya gotta love 'em".

Collapse -
It was/is an iodine compound.

In reply to: re: potable water

Made the water taste bad, but quicker than boiling. Nowadays I would worry about pollutants not affected by either: Radioactives e.g.

Collapse -
I remember we stopped swimming in the river near our place

In reply to: Wonder how long they....

as a kid after a hurricane caused a flood. We went down as usual to our favorite swimming area only to pass several bloated pig carcases floating in a backwater just upstream. It sort of put us off for the rest of the summer.

As you say Angeline, we didn't even consider farm run-off, but I bet some of my ear infections and other little health things were directly related.

It's amazing we survived our childhoods, and yet they seemed so blissful.

Rob

Collapse -
I did not forget to thank you

for bringing a vital public health issue into a discussion. we can never be reminded often enough that potable water and pollution free air are two of the most important gifts we have. to be effective stewards we must never stop stressing how harmful myopic views of the environment can be. I will ask you the same question.

is there a big handle somewhere they have to jiggle?

Collapse -
Naw, it always runs a little bit...

In reply to: I did not forget to thank you

... that way the dog always has fresh water Wink

grim

Collapse -
I wonder what...

percentage of that 70 million will be skinny dipping.

Back in my farming days, we had some pretty good swimming holes to play in. We had our days for skinny dipping and the girls had theirs. They used to peek too.

Funny I do not ever remember the water holes to be anything but crystal clear water and perfect temp. Always fresh running water. Had a big rope hanging from one of the trees on the bank for a swing. I used to play tarzan. Happy

George

Collapse -
Yeah George, we had a "swinging rope"

In reply to: I wonder what...

from a tree over the San Antonio river when I was a kid. We used to hang from the 2nd floor building in our school, drop down, and escape the last hour of school to skinny dip at the river.

I learned to swim there in one day after swinging too far out into deep water over my head. Others thought I could swim and just looked at me struggling. An older big boy jumped in and pulled me to shore. He told me that unless I learned to swim that afternoon...no more in the water. He personally taught me that very day. I used his techniques to teach my son and daughter to swim in one day.

Yes, the river was not the cleanest, many cows waded up and down stream and people did throw junk/garbage in the river in those days.

Years later when living a couple-three years in Phoenix, AZ, we used to swim in the irrigation canals that ran through much of Phoenix feeding the orange orchards. Those orchards are now gone due to development/expansion. It was always done at night with mainly a bunch of college kids, male & female.... most kept their underware on in those days, however....:-)

Collapse -
Even an ex-city-slicker like myself

In reply to: Yeah George, we had a "swinging rope"

knows the cowboy rule: Never drink downstream from the herd. Happy

Collapse -
Yep, and

In reply to: Even an ex-city-slicker like myself

I always liked to pee and spit with the wind, but try like I did, not too long ago, to spit out the window of your fast moving car.
Grin

Collapse -
(NT) load and muzzle velocity critical, jr

In reply to: Yep, and

Collapse -
(NT) JR not jr, sorry

In reply to: load and muzzle velocity critical, jr

Collapse -
(NT) saul rite...people do type in lower case..:-)

In reply to: JR not jr, sorry

Collapse -
(NT) Right, it affects the scatter spread.

In reply to: load and muzzle velocity critical, jr

Collapse -
I remember seeing something on TV about the religious

observances on the Ganges. There were thousands of people going down to bathe in the brown water as the corpses floated by a little farther out in the stream. I gather it is a good and special type of "burial" to be consigned to the Ganges. That'd be more than enough for me.

Rob

Collapse -
re: "burial"

In reply to: I remember seeing something on TV about the religious

I wear a bar-code that scans: 'find pretty place, insert, go away'

neiman-marcus must offer some kind of exotic funereal gift packages. their "we will take it because you can't take it with you" specials.

keep whistling

Collapse -
(NT) Nice one W-H ! Where can I get one?

In reply to: re: "burial"

Collapse -
"Mother Ganges" is holy to Hindus.

In reply to: I remember seeing something on TV about the religious

AND WHY HASN'T THIS THREAD BEEN PULLED??!! Happy

Collapse -
because we all live on "mother earth"

In reply to: "Mother Ganges" is holy to Hindus.

the fact that this mass of humans were assembled in the millions and subsequent health issues is the issue. the fact that they are hindu is a footnote, and has been treated as such.

I thought of it as a mega woodstock or indy event where there was more water than mud or race fumes. compare it to what would happen if all residents of nyc flushed their toilets at the same time. hope there are no fires when they do the research, and you might want to hold off fishing until the tide goes out.

are you pulling my branches, dr? a tad facetious are we? <g>

Collapse -
(NT) Check the smiley.

In reply to: because we all live on "mother earth"

Collapse -
(NT) check the: <g> :)

In reply to: Check the smiley.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.