Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Update duplication

by Carol~ Moderator / January 22, 2005 2:44 AM PST

WinXP SP2 Home

On Dec 17th I installed the Cumulative Update for OE 6SP1, from the WU website. When I scan for optional updates, that same update (887797) shows up as uninstalled. The update can be viewed in the Installation History. (I am unable to view it in Add/Remove, since all updates prior to 2005 are not shown.) In addition, when I look in the registry, I do see the update #, w/ 20041112.131144 next to it.

The newbie in me hesitates and asks.. is it really there? Should I reinstall? The other part of my brain says that it's in the registry.. and not to over-think a minor issue.

While this doesn't seem to be a major issue, I am wondering about other updates. This happened to be one I picked up on. BTW.. since Grif's post on 1/7, I no longer "automatically" update. I feel more comfortable knowing what I am installing. And if I don't know.. I feel like I can always come here :).

My question? Does WU really scan the computer, and if so, why would it show I have not installed it? (I did read Cursorcowboy's post on 1/18, where he indicated that an update might not be registered correctly. I don't want to fool around with the registry, unless it is absolutely necessary.) And... should I leave well enough alone, by not addressing the above update?

Thanks in advance...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Update duplication
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Update duplication
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi curcat
by roddy32 / January 22, 2005 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Update duplication

I don't know the whole answer BUT SP2 hides the updates in the control panel. Open the control panel and right at the top there is a box that says "show updates". Put a checkmark in that box. Mine shows that particular update plus some others that same day and also another from October. Also, another good tool to have that shows a lot of stuff on your computer is Belarc Advisor. It's a neat little tool and I run it and print it out once a month or so myself.It shows just about everything that is installed on the computer.

Collapse -
by Carol~ Moderator / January 22, 2005 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Hi curcat

I found the "show updates" this morning. I did check it and it came up with this year's updates only. Prior to SP2, EVERYTHING.. and their mother.. as the saying goes.. was showing up. Will definitely check out Belarc.

Thanks for responding so quickly..
(Grasshopper :^O)

Collapse -
by roddy32 / January 22, 2005 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Roddy..

I would THINK that if it is not showing up in add/remove and Windows Updates says you need it then you probably DO need it. If Belarc also says you do not have it, I think that would clinch it. I do NOT know if just downloading it again of you already have it would hurt anything or not but I really doubt that it would. I would wait for Grif to make sure. SP2 takes all of the old ones out because they are incorporated into SP2 but that particular one was afterwards.

Collapse -
by Carol~ Moderator / January 22, 2005 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: Grasshopper

Nothing prior to 2005 is showing up and Windows Update is also telling me I do have it. (??)

Do you think it's possible, because I updated from the website and not "Express Install", that could be why it shows as uninstalled? I am leary about installing, if I DO have it, since I don't want to create a problem. Still want/have to check out Belarc. (BTW..I respect the fact that, when you are unsure of something, you say so. Sometimes that's very difficult for people).

Meanwhile, I will check out Belarc and perhaps wait. My gut is telling me you are correct and will have to re/install.. but want to hold off for the time being.

Collapse -
You've got me
by roddy32 / January 22, 2005 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: But....

confused here as to what you are saying. Your quote from you first post is "When I scan for optional updates, that same update (887797) shows up as uninstalled. The update can be viewed in the Installation History."
I'm reading that as, Windows Update is telling you that you need the update but the installation history is telling you that you already have it.
Does that mean the Windows Update is telling you that you DO need it when you scan? As far as the dates before 2005 showing up in add/remove programs, MINE do show up so I don't now why yours don't. Belarc only takes a minute to download and run. I would do that and maybe it will end the cofusion.

Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you at all, I think maybe I just don't understand what you are saying.

Collapse -
Yes and Yes
by Carol~ Moderator / January 22, 2005 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: You've got me

Sorry if I caused any confusion with my last post. Yes, you understood it correctly. Scan says I need it. History tells me it was "successful". AND yes.. I'm going to download Belarc now.

Thanks again. Will let you know of outcome.

Collapse -
OK Curcat
by roddy32 / January 22, 2005 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Yes and Yes

Good luck, The LAST I want to do is confuse you.LOL I'm having one of those days today so I think I may give up and go watch a movie or something LOL. Windows Update is the one that is confused, NOT you or me. Have a good day Curcat. Grin

PS: I read somewhere at Microsoft a while back that Windows Update knows what it has installed on your copmputer BUT does NOT have any way of knowing if anything has been uninstalled afterwords which would explain the contradiction but not as to where the update actually went to.

Collapse -
Curcat, Try Installing It Manually...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 9:08 AM PST
In reply to: But....

The 877897 update shows up in my Add/Remove Programs section in the "Windows XP Software Updates" section towards the bottom of the screen. Doing a little reading at 'THIS LINK' indicates that in order to install the 877897 update, you must have first installed the 823353 update which was an earlier Cumulative Outlook Express Update. It's possible that you recently installed the 823353 update and that's why it showing wierd things at Windows Update. At this point, I would try manually downloading the update installer file from the Security Bulletin below. Once you've got the installer file on your desktop, double click it to run the update.:

One other thought...If you've run "System Restore" recently, it will remove any updates that you may have applied after the SR date. Did you use System Restore?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Prior Update installed July, 2004
by Carol~ Moderator / January 23, 2005 2:20 AM PST

As noted above, I installed 823353 on the 22nd of July. I had read the article quite a few times in the past.. thinking I missed something. (This has been an issue for at least a month)

I set a restore point, just prior to SP2 installation on January 2nd. I have not had need to use it since then. Should I run it?

This may be a moot issue, but is there a lapse of time, between when an update is on the website, as opposed to it being released through WU? If so, could this cause a conflict?

I am concerned about this update, but am also concerned about preventing future issues with other updates. In other words, how reliable is the scanning feature and how reliable is "View History".

I realize I have a problem wanting to know "why", with too many things. The up and downside of this has left me with a very smooth running computer. (I just don't want to bug the kind people here, with all my questions... despite all my prior research)

Thanks again..

Collapse -
Curcat, Just My Opinion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2005 2:50 AM PST

...It's a GOOD thing wanting to know why. I wouldn't ever discourage that. I don't always use the Windows Update site to perform the actual update of my computers. Although I frequently visit and rely on Windows Update to make sure there are no new updates missing, in most cases, I download and install from the manual installer files such as the one I posted earlier. There really isn't anything wrong with installing from the Windows Update site, but in my opinion, installing from the manual downloads while offline allows me to turn off my firewall, temporarily disable my antivirus, then install each update individually. I believe it allows for a little better install.

Unless there is something else major causing issues with your SP2 upgrade, I don't think there is sufficient reason to "Restore" back...Try reinstalling the update using the manual installer file I suggested. it might help.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
It is said... so it shall be done!
by Carol~ Moderator / January 23, 2005 4:52 AM PST

Thank you, Grif. Another lesson learned... and I believe, an extremely important one.

BTW.. if I haven't said it enough...Thank you!!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?