Speakeasy forum

General discussion

UPDATE: Canadian Coroner rules "Man Killed By Wolves".

Some earlier background on the incident.
http://www.fftimes.com/National/Inquiry-into-wolf-attack-begins/30-Oct-2007

"A colleague of a young man who may have been killed by a wolf attack in northern Saskatchewan told an inquest yesterday that he warned the man against going for a walk.
Just days before Kenton Carnegie?s death, Todd Svarckopf, a pilot for a geophysics company, said he nearly had been attacked by two wolves while he was outside checking on his plane.
?The wolves were very aggressive towards us,? the 37-year-old testified at the opening of an inquiry into Carnegie?s death. ?They constantly snapped their teeth at us.?"

The Ruling

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/11/01/wolf-verdict.html
A coroner's jury in Saskatchewan has determined that Ontario university student Kenton Carnegie was killed in a wolf attack...
Searchers later found his body surrounded by wolves...
Another wolf expert, Mark McNay, who had studied the case for Carnegie's family, told the jury he was convinced it was a wolf attack.

Meanwhile a village is under seige by a wolfpack
http://thearcticsounder.com/news/story/775
Villagers in Marshall have killed at least 22 dogs after wolves ? including at least one infected with rabies ? attacked sled-dog kennels in the village.

Reports of wolves showing up on the edge of town and near houses has continued since the attack on Wednesday, Oct. 24, when a wolf pack raided kennels and killed seven sled dogs, according to Nick P. Andrew Jr., administrator of the Ohogamiut Traditional Council.

Andrews said the attack also injured other dogs in the village, which has a population of about 375 residents.
....Villagers shot one of the attacking wolves, a juvenile female, during the attack. It tested positive for rabies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPDATE: Canadian Coroner rules "Man Killed By Wolves".
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPDATE: Canadian Coroner rules "Man Killed By Wolves".
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So

In reply to: UPDATE: Canadian Coroner rules "Man Killed By Wolves".

It's still no reason to advocate extermination. Exterminate all the predators and you'll find out how soon you'll be overrun with their food.

Collapse -
I think you missed it.

In reply to: So

James is saying that WE are their food.

Collapse -
I'm running a Sheltie hunt next month ...

Want to participate?

Why no post about the "wolf" who killed the child here in the states a short time back? Maybe because that particular Canis lupus familiaris was a pomeranian and relative of the Sheltie breed?
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/10/09/pomeranian.kills.ap/

The liklihood of being killed or injured by an object - its relative danger - is not dictated by how many news articles it appears in James. If this were the case, why is it so difficult to find news articles on the dangers of peanuts? More people are killed by peanuts than by wolves (or any type of domestic wolf including "pit bulls" and Rotweilers) each year. Yet searching media reports for "death by peanut" proves to be a waste of time. Why? Because the word "peanut" does not strike fear into the hearts of readers. There's no shock, no anger, no hatred, no blood, no betrayal, no screaming. Only another silent death by allergic reaction.

By the way, even the intellectually challenged are usually aware that a rabid annimal (even a human) does not represent the norm and tends to become rather agressive and "out of character".

Pomeranian X, Oct. 2000, California, attacked and killed a 6 week old female baby. Let's see, is a Dachshund small? Oct 1979, a Dachshund killed a 14-day-old baby. Sept 1974, a Dachshund killed a 7 month old baby. How 'bout a Westie? That's a small dog. May 1997, killed a 75 year old woman in MA. What about in 1981, when an elderly woman was killed by 6 Dachshund/Terrier/Beagle dogs? Right there you have more WELL DOCUMENTED incidents of fatal attacks on humans than you are going to be able to come up with for Wolves.

And of course, I'm completely ignoring the 71 fatal attacks by mixed breed dogs (many of which were Sheltie size and smaller), And I'm also ignoring the hundreds of non-fatal attacks by small dogs.

Get a GRIP and try some EDUCATIONAL reading:
All in the "Species": The Marriage of Wolves and Dogs
http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/annd2.htm!

Collapse -
(NT) Man attacked by peanut?

In reply to: I'm running a Sheltie hunt next month ...

Collapse -
Someone thinks so, lol.

In reply to: Man attacked by peanut?

Run for your lives, man attacked by Raging Rabid Pack of Peanuts. I guess we'll have to be careful when passing through Georgia near any peanut patches to be on the lookout for a Peanut Pack attack. There was mention of a possible bear attack too, except not one iota of corroborating evidence, as in not a single bear track could be found in the region at all. There was a preponderance of wolf tracks though. Of course this was in Canada where the man was killed by wolves and my objection hasn't been to Canada keeping their wolves but to having their wolves introduced into regions of the United States where ancestors finally managed to eradicate them so those who lived there could dwell safely, they and their livestock.

Collapse -
Babies and dogs

In reply to: I'm running a Sheltie hunt next month ...

You bring up a good point about babies and dogs and the solution is the same, keep the dogs away from the babies and small children. My solution for such dogs is the same, exterminate them. I had a dog (Rottie-Shepard mix) that attacked a child in my home, a child of 8 yrs old who had played with him since a puppy. The next day I had him put down. We waited then till our girls were a bit older before getting another and made sure it was a gently breed, a collie from Amish country.

Collapse -
Maybe not...

Expert says man killed by bear, not wolves

A renowned carnivore expert believes Kenton Carnegie most likely was killed in northern Saskatchewan by a black bear, not a pack of wolves.

"The preponderance of evidence points to black bear," Paul Paquet testified Wednesday during a coroner's inquest into the 22-year-old engineering student's death.

Paquet said the way Carnegie was attacked, eaten and dragged through the bush suggests a bear was responsible...

Workers in the area had not seen a bear in the area for a few months, but Paquet said some adult male bears do not hibernate until December.

He said it's typical for bears, not wolves, to drag their prey from a kill site.

Paquet studied a few wolf attacks on humans in North America, as well as fatal attacks on humans in Russia and India. The attack on Carnegie did not compare, he said.

More at Canada.com....

Collapse -
Safe, rather than sorry

While wolves can be aggressive, I think the actions shown by these wolves is beyond the norm. It shows that something else is at work here and if destroying the wolves, it must be done. To so easily attack dogs that in itself shows no fear and it should be easily shot once in town. Forget about relocating, that may pose the threat of transporting the wolves with rabies elsewhere, even if checked, it would be a dangerous task, regardless. If I lived in Marshall, i would be worried besides the normal toil of daily life. -----Willy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.