General discussion

Update-alert@watchlist.cnet.com

While looking at my e-mail inbox for today, I checked the Spam list for email filtered out as spam that isn't really spam. The only thing that looked out of place was an e-mail identified as follows: From- Cnet Download Alert; Subject- Items on your Watch List have been updated. After opening the e-mail to read it I saw the source of the e-mail as: "Update-alert@watchlist.cnet.com". Since I have never received an e-mail that looked like this before I became suspicious. Without clicking on anything in the email I Googled every aspect of this message's 'From', 'Subject', etc. Apparently there is no such thing as watchlist.cnet.com. Am I wrong to reach this conclusion? About the time I was coming to this conclusion, I received a warning from my internet security system (AT&T's version of McAfee SecurityCenter) that my system was not secure. I clicked on the 'Fix' button and the problem was not repairable. It took 2 re-boots and about 30 minutes of frenetic CPU buzzing and whirring to get a 'System OK' word from McAfee. It could have been worse. Maybe it still will be worse. So please tell me: Is there any such thing CNET sponsored called 'watchlist.cnet.com'?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Update-alert@watchlist.cnet.com
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Update-alert@watchlist.cnet.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There Is Such A List..

maninplaid..

Log into Download.com and open your profile, by clicking your username in the upper right corner. Or go to the below link.

On the top of the page, you will see "My Download Watch List". Under that: "Email Alert Delivery Preferences". See if there is checkmark in the box next to "When I download software, add the title to my Watch List." Uncheck it, if you wish not to receive the emails.

http://www.cnet.com/watchlist/

Hope this helps..
Carol

- Collapse -
Additional Information..

Under "E-mail Alert Delivery Preferences", there is a dropdown menu which says "Alert Frequency", to the left of it. Click on the down arrow and choose "Never". Also look to the right, where you're given a couple of additional options to choose from.

This should resolve the issue/s.

- Collapse -
My profile page is not as you described

Thanks for your quick response. When I went to Download.com and opened my profile, there was no "My Download Watch List" at the top of the page, or anywhere on the page. So I clicked on "TechTracker" instead. Then, under "Settings & Help", I clicked on "Alert Preferences". The box that was checked was "All software alerts off". So how did I receive the suspect e-mail in question? To make matters more interesting, I checked the box "All software alerts on" and returned to this forum. When I went back to Download.com to re-check my settings, the settings had reverted to the "All software alerts off" box with the check mark. How did this happen?

It is not that I do not want to receive software alerts from CNET. I do want to receive them. My concern is that the email I received marked "Update-alert@watchlist.cnet.com" was not actually from CNET but was bogus, attempting to masquerade as a genuine CNET notice. How would I know if it was genuine? Why would it have been caught in my internet security system spam filter? How can I receive software alerts from CNET if Download.com automatically unchecks the "All software alerts on" box? So I have a lot of questions here. Thanks for your help.

- Collapse -
Did you click on the Watch List link in my post?

maninplaid..

I'm sorry to hear you're having so many problems. You didn't find the settings by clicking on this link?
http://www.cnet.com/watchlist/

I clicked on the link yesterday, and it brought me to the email settings, I referenced in my prior post. I don't receive software alerts, but I found mine were set to alert me "daily". I changed it to "never". Despite the fact, it indicated my preferences were saved, it's now back "daily" Confused

'Why would it have been caught in my internet security system spam filter? '

I receive two (unrelated) types of alerts on a daily basis. Every so often, I will find one makes its way into my Spam Filter. As do other legitimate emails. It happens now and then. I really do believe it was a genuine alert, but I suspect you will feel more comfortable having the header reviewed.

I'm unfamiliar with the Watch List area of CNET. I would suggest posting at the "Download.com Site Feedback Forum". If you have no success, which I think you will, I would then try emailing the "CNET Customer Help Center". (Click on the "E-Mail Support Tab")

Yesterday, I did a forum search for "Watch List". It yielded quite a few results. The first of which is titled, "Watch List not working". You might want to read through some of the threads, while you're waiting for a response to your post.

In the meantime, if you wish to try a scan other than McAfee, I would suggest downloading and installing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It can be downloaded from here or (directly) from here. OR you can try SUPERAntiSpyware's Online Safe Scan.

If you decide to post at the Download.com Site Feedback Forum, I will track the thread. If I find you're not getting the help you need, I will contact someone who will attend to it.

Best of luck...
Carol

- Collapse -
The link in your first response works perfectly

Sorry about that. I took your first suggestion of going to Download.com and completely missed your link. The link works great and I now have it bookmarked. My concern about the original 'offending e-mail' was its authenticity. I wondered if some malware generator was sending out e-mail masquerading as genuine CNET correspondence. In the future if I get a 'suspicious' CNET e-mail, I'll just go to your bookmarked link and get the update straight off the CNET website. I don't as a rule click on e-mail links anyway. Thanks so much for your help!

- Collapse -
(NT) You're welcome. "Questioning" is ALWAYS a good idea. (IMHO)

CNET Forums

Forum Info