TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

by jerrynj2va / March 12, 2008 2:02 AM PDT

I'm one of the people with hundreds of standard dvds and not wanting hd or blu ray. I will get a blu ray player for those special movies that i just must have on blu ray content even thought chances are i have it in standard format but if possible i would really just like to find a upconverting dvd player that will give me a full 1080p NOT 1080I picture. Im not rich and buying all this stuff can be expensive. Any suggestions????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: UPCONVERTING DVD PLAYERS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: UPCONVERTING DVD PLAYERS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 2:28 AM PDT

Are you aware that your upconvert will not rival the HD content of the same video on BR? As such, why won't 1080i suffice?

Collapse -
by jerrynj2va / March 12, 2008 2:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Just checking.

I hear that blu ray is the only definate 1080p source. Reason I dont want the 1080i is for the same reason people perfer 720p over 720i. Progressive scan is just better vs interlaced and futhermore the tv im looking at to buy looks like it might not do that well with 1080i content(or maybe im just not understanding what they mean by de lace).KDS-60A3000. I hear good things about oppo dvd players but im not sure. My plan was to buy a htib (without dvd player), The tv, a oppo upconverting dvd player, and a ps3( which would be used for those special movies).I'm trying to avoid re buying my whole movie collection.

Collapse -
PS3 is an upconverter
by albeach55 / March 12, 2008 2:59 AM PDT

The PS3 does a good job at upconverting DVD's, all they way to 1080p. Realistically though, even upconversion done well is nowhere near the picture quality of Blu-Rays.

Collapse -
Then shop and shop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 3:01 AM PDT

Just looking at Cnet reviews I find Sony, Panasonic and others that claim 1080p output from upconversion. I'm going to decline searching for you.

Where are you looking and not finding these?

Collapse -
the thing is that these
by jostenmeat / March 12, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

BD or HD players are already upscaling.

A dvd player that upconverts standard def is basically just putting lipstick on a pig. No standard def disc is getting a TRUE 1080p, even if output as such. It deinterlaces, scales, etc, but can never, ever compare to natively recorded 1080p.

That being said, people with large standard def collections like yourself, with more money however, will pay dearly for hi-end video processing. Im talking about thousands of dollars.

some ideas, depending on your budget:
dollars to unit
80 = Sony dvd only
150= denon dvd only
200 = Oppo dvd only
400 = Sony PS3
500 = Pana BD-50
1000 = Denon 3930 dvd only
3000 = Vantage-HD2
4000 = Lumagen?

Collapse -
by jerrynj2va / March 12, 2008 11:14 PM PDT

I stopped at $400. With that being said i might just go with the ps3 and hope my drive doesnt fail like mentioned. Im not a big game fan unless its sports or some military type game. At least 60% of the use will be for movies. My plan originally was to go with a ps3 and a oppo dvd player. What u think?

Collapse -
Here's a thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 12, 2008 8:46 AM PDT

you'll never see any difference between an upconverted 480 to 1080i or 1080P. 95% of viewers cannot see the difference between a full 1080i and 1080P. The difference is just too subtle.

I have a Sony 55" SXRD, full 1080P, but I have not bought a Blu-ray player for the above reason. I do have a Samsung upconverting DVD player that gives me an excellent picture. But I've not been impressed with Blu-ray. Maybe when they hit a hundred bucks I'll spring for one.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections,
Spyware removal, and download free software.

Character - Doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Collapse -
Wait minute.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 10:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a thought. . .
Collapse -
Blu Ray
by albeach55 / March 12, 2008 2:07 PM PDT

Since you didn't cite where your figure of 95% comes from, I won't argue with it at this point. However, your post seems to imply that Blu Ray does not offer better picture quality than an upconverted DVD. Although the picture quality on some Blu Rays isn't that far above regular DVDs (do to a poor transfer by the studio), most Blu Rays display picture quality well above their DVD releases. Your post may be misleading to someone not familiar with the nuances of high definition programming.

Collapse -
Well. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 12, 2008 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Blu Ray

An upconverted DVD starts out at 480 lines of resolution. It's then upconverted (read content added) to get 1080 lines of resolution. This "added content" is fluff, as in pixels are duplicated and manipulated to fill the screen. Some upconverting players do this better than others, and therefore not all resulting movies look the same. It's simple logic or math. You start with 480 and wind up with 1080.

With pure high def, as in Blu-ray or HD, you start with 1080 lines of resolution and stay there. The main difference being either interlaced or progressive scan. This is what I was in reference to. Most people cannot tell the difference between 1080i or 1080P. Unless as Bob said, you get really close to the screen. And this minuscule difference is not worth it to me.

Collapse -
by fish363 / March 14, 2008 4:11 PM PDT

I very briefly had an upconverting DVD player(Panasonic) and I couldn't notice a difference. As a matter of fact, I liked the picture a little bit better on my 32" TV using my computer's DVD drive. My opinion at this point is that upconverting is a farce.

Collapse -
Upconverting DVD Player
by gadgetlvr / March 12, 2008 2:14 PM PDT

The audiophiles over at all recommend the Oppo DVD players. I have one and think it does a good job. It'll never look as good as a great 720P or 1080i sports broadcast, but it'll look nice. The Oppo DVD players are quite inexpensive.

Collapse -
My A-B comparisons
by Dan Filice / March 13, 2008 4:55 AM PDT

My setup is a PS3 connected to my Sony 55" SXRD using the 1080p/24p HDMI connection. The PS3 upconverts to 1080p. I also have an Oppo upconverting DVD player, which I love. But, I wanted to make a point (in my opinion) that an upconverted picture does not look as good as the same image in BD. Using my PS3 only, I watched both the SD and BD version of "Sunshine." This film has some really well-shot and well-lit closeups of the crew's faces, where tiny details can be seen. It's a pretty darn good Sci-Fi film too. Anyways, the SD version, which was upconverted to 1080p, looked pretty damn good. I thought to myself "How could BD be better than this?" I then watched the BD version and it was like "WOW, I feel like I'm right there with the crew inside their space ship and I can touch them". To me, I could see much more detail over the SD version. I could see every pore in the skin of a face, and the beads of sweat had extra sharpness that were almost too real. So, to my eyes, I could see a difference. An upconverted image to 1080p did not look anywhere close to a true 1080p/24fps image. But does it warrant an extra $350 for a BD player? Only you can answer that.

Collapse -
hey Dan!
by jostenmeat / March 13, 2008 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: My A-B comparisons

Yesterday I received No Country For Old Men, Sunshine, and Sleepy Hollow all on BD.... Im going to watch Sunshine tonight, never seen it... No Country will be Tuesday for my movie club Silly

Collapse -
Josten, Lemme know what you think
by Dan Filice / March 13, 2008 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: hey Dan!

of Sunshine. The last chapter let me down a little, but hey, it's Sci-Fi. But the quality of cinematography, lighting and model shots were so stunning they made me forgive the weak ending. I'll expect a full review on my desk tomorrow Happy

Collapse -
I enjoyed it!
by jostenmeat / March 14, 2008 4:50 AM PDT

and I didn't think the ending was so much of a letdown, but your warning tempered my expectations (usually a good thing!). PQ was good, especially the model shots, but otherwise rather on par with some HD-DVDs I own. The best PQ, by far, that I have on BD is Ratatouille. Unfair comparison though.

I just also received Michael Clayton, 310 to Yuma, and Superbad. Hehe.

for sci-fi, there are some wierd endings out there! I think of the Abyss, perhaps similarly Akira (I know, a cartoon/anime). Been a while since I saw Sphere, don't remember anything except that it was freaky. I liked Contact, and AI was interesting...

yours truly,
Meatie McLovin

Collapse -
Add'l movies
by Dan Filice / March 14, 2008 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I enjoyed it!

Glad you enjoyed "Sunshine". My wife and I saw Michael Clayton here at my work, and we both liked it very much. Great story and acting, but then I ask myself "Is this the kind of movie I'll spend $25 on BD to see?" I like visually spectacular movies for BD. I own "3:10 to Yuma" on BD and it's great and worthy of BD. Good story, execellent cinematography. I haven't seen "Ratatouille" yet but I hear good things. I love animated features like this and "Cars", "Monsters, Inc", "Toy Story", etc. Comparing animation to live-action is tough because the animation looks so darn good with those brilliant solid colors.

Collapse -
I agree
by jostenmeat / March 14, 2008 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Add'l movies

Firstly, Im a huge Pixar fan too. Finding Nemo is one of my all time fav's (I think it made Time mag's 100 best ever, LOL) as well as The Incredibles. They are my favorite two. Its not only difficult to compare the colors, for they are truly both varied and rich, but the sound as well. All of their surround/audio effects can be created in a controlled environment of the studio. Wheres as live-action has to combine the real-time recording with additional studio effects. I think that's why the Incredibles prolly has the best action-surround Ive heard on plain vanilla DD. Best DTS = LOTR extendeds, X-men 3 as second place. Jury is still out on PCM, DTS-MA, TrueHD Silly

Ive not seen Michael Clayton, and I was a bit disappointed I missed it in the theater. Just the cast alone has me excited. However, my present viewpoint has me forgoing the local cinema altogether now. Im skipping all movies and simply waiting for the BD to come out.

Collapse -
We out to start a thread about movie theaters
by Dan Filice / March 14, 2008 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree

The thread might be titled: What's your preference: Watching movies at the theater or at home? I seem to rarely go the the movies any more. The last film I saw in the theater was "No Country For Old Men", which was great but it was annoying because some idiot girl sitting next to me ate candy for almost the entire movie and the wrapper sound just pissed me off. Yeah the picture is larger and the sound is louder in the theater, but I can stop a movie at home and get food or a drink, etc. without annoying people around. Oh wait, when my wife invites our friends over for "Movie Night" (which we share between our houses), all they do is talk. (Back to annoying people.) Man that ticks me off. Then afterwards they say "Yeah, it was OK." OK???? Sheesh, they harly paid attention. How can they even evaluate the film?? Alright, I'm done venting. I'm calming down now.

Collapse -
by jerrynj2va / March 14, 2008 6:41 AM PDT

Other than Movie cafe's where eles can you kick back,(cozy) with a brew or and watch goodfellas, or menence to society. LOL.

Collapse -
(NT) Goodfellas and Fargo!! 2 great movies.
by Dan Filice / March 14, 2008 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: I CHOOSE HOME
Collapse -
Speaking of Fargo and No Country
by jostenmeat / March 14, 2008 1:11 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?