General discussion

Upcoming Windows 10 April/May 2019 Update Release

Mar 14, 2019 9:31AM PDT

Although there currently is no firm release date for the upcoming major update/upgrade to Windows 10, it is coming soon and probably in April/May 2019. I know such major updates are daunting for some but maybe a little pre-release knowledge will help soften the blow. Read the articles below for a little more information.

Windows 10 April 2019 Update release date, news and features

Windows 10 19H1: The Complete Changelog

And an interesting addition for some:

Microsoft releases new Windows 10 preview with Android phone screen mirroring

We'll try to keep you all updated when a better release date becomes available.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Post was last edited on April 17, 2019 4:14 PM PDT

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Upcoming Windows 10 April/May 2019 Update Release
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Upcoming Windows 10 April/May 2019 Update Release
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Windows 10 update
Mar 17, 2019 5:17PM PDT

Thank you for posting about this update. so looks like good things to come. looking forward to it

- Collapse -
Windows update
Mar 22, 2019 6:47AM PDT

Thanks for the update. Eagerly waiting for it.

- Collapse -
What you think:
Apr 2, 2019 3:33AM PDT

What will be the name of the major update in version?

- Collapse -
Sources Say It Will Be Windows 10 Version 1903, but....
Apr 2, 2019 4:58PM PDT

...trying to figure out Microsoft is like treading water in mud. I try not to outguess them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Re: name
Apr 4, 2019 12:15PM PDT
- Collapse -
update
Apr 5, 2019 5:39AM PDT

Thanks for telling about it as i was waiting for it since long

- Collapse -
Thanks for update
Apr 15, 2019 12:48PM PDT

Thanks for this valuable update.

- Collapse -
Testers Can’t Upgrade if External USB devices Are Connected
Apr 26, 2019 5:13PM PDT

Although this problem has occurred with earlier Windows 10 large upgrades, it's come up again for the Insider testing group in the latest release of Windows 10 . If an external USB device or SD card is connected, the upgrade re-assigns drive numbers to those devices and in some cases, to internal drives as well. That's not a good thing. Read about it below:

Windows 10 May 2019 Update hits worrying stumbling block with USB drives

It appears that Microsoft has already addressed this issue in an upcoming update to the insiders, so it shouldn't be there when the final release comes out, but it's one more good reminder to disconnect all USB and SD devices from the computer when the final Windows 10 May 2019 upgrade/update is pushed to normal users.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
My comment.
Apr 26, 2019 5:47PM PDT

I wouldn't be surprised if leaving an USB PRINTER with card readers create an issue as well. I ran into that last year and unplugging the printer's USB cable let Windows update complete.

- Collapse -
I Had The Same Experience Here With A Printer...
Apr 29, 2019 10:35AM PDT

I had to unplug the USB printer before the upgrade would install. It's why I now switch to a PS2 mouse/keyboard on desktops and unplug all other USB devices before making the change.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Windows 10 update
May 1, 2019 11:46PM PDT

It is a woth reading post for IT geeks. thanks for sharing and keeping us up to date! Happy

- Collapse -
Windows 10 update
May 6, 2019 12:37AM PDT

Thanks for the useful info

- Collapse -
Windows 10
May 7, 2019 6:43AM PDT

I like Windows 10

- Collapse -
Unplug HDMI from PC to TV
May 12, 2019 7:46AM PDT

Learning the hard way. I recently decided to “cut the cord”. But I missed a few ‘programs’ on TV. After a few issues, I deployed the “HDMI” from PC to TV. Things worked ‘good’ enough. Since I had done “a lot” of stuff to my PC and since the “May” update was coming, I decided to do a “reset” of my PC. Oh, my.

Normally a reset to desktop takes about 20 minutes on my system. After an “hour” and staring at a “black” screen, it was obvious things were not going well. I was about to put my backup Windows disc in when I decided to go to my ‘sisters’ home and do a Google search for “black screen” after “reset”. There it was, “two” monitors. Got back home, unplugged HDMI cable, booted PC up and things started working again. Continued with the reset, but then I started to see issues, so I decided to ‘redo’ the reset. End result PC is working fine now and ready for “May” update.

One minor issue that come up that I resolved. Microsoft Edge icon appeared on the taskbar. Never had that before, and I could not ‘unpin’. Doing a Google search, found a “bat” file to remove all ‘icons’ from taskbar, including “Edge”. Deployed same, and then re-pinned the ‘icons’ that I wanted to the taskbar.

That's it. The end. Thanks for reading.

- Collapse -
Related ? to HDMI to TV & Windows Updates
May 12, 2019 9:05AM PDT

I have always had automatic windows updates. If I have the HDMI to TV thing going is this going to have some negative effect on "updates" in general and in particular second "Tuesday" updates and "May" update.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

CNET Forums

Forum Info