Laptops forum

General discussion

Upcoming laptops

I'm looking for a site that provides a list of upcoming laptops. Does CNET have a list like that, and if not, does anybody know of a site where I could find such a list?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Upcoming laptops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Upcoming laptops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you read the CNET CES coverage?

In reply to: Upcoming laptops

It has them.

Collapse -
Not found

I looked through the CES section, but all I found was an article about the coolest laptops shown at CES. I'm really on the lookout for a comprehensive list of all upcoming laptops, if you know where to find one.

Collapse -
Good luck.

In reply to: Not found

While Cnet did share what you see real soon now, can I ask why you think there is such a list maintained? For years the question "When is Apple updating _____?" should have seasoned you well enough to know about that.
Bob

Collapse -
Costco laptop

In reply to: Good luck.

That would be true, if I was actively participating in computer-related forums and reading the latest news, but that's not the case. Well, except on the Wii, that is. Happy

There was a very affordable HP laptop on www.costco.ca a while back, but the offer is gone now, and I haven't seen any other laptop like it, so I'd like to see if something similar will be released in the coming months.

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Costco laptop

All that you find is the usual rumor sites. In case you missed the Apple one -> http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

That helps those that are worrying that Apple will discontinue the model they will buy tomorrow.
Bob

Collapse -
How about

In reply to: Upcoming laptops

PC world or Laptop magazines. Those are good sources and just google laptop forums.

Collapse -
Back to square one

In reply to: How about

Okay, I did a little more research and visited a few websites, including PC World, but I still haven't found a laptop that meets my needs. I went back to my starting point, which was Alienware, and the customization options are now better than they were at the time.

I've heard about the problems people are having with Alienware's customer service and supposedly faulty computers, so the only thing I need to know right now is if the following specifications are any good.

Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
Microsoft Office 2007 Basic - English
1 Year Limited Warranty w/1 Year Next Businnes Day On-site Service
17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7,200RPM, XMB Cache HDDs)
Dual 1GB ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4870 in CrossFireX
Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card
Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

Collapse -
That's a lap burner?

In reply to: Back to square one

That looks to be some 130 Watt desktop CPU.

Are you sure you want something so hot, heavy and what appears to be a desktop crammed into a laptop?

While such a thing is made, it's for those that want to test the edge.
Bob

Collapse -
Different processor?

In reply to: That's a lap burner?

So you think I should get a different processor?

Would the other parts I chose cause me problems?

Collapse -
Maybe this needs a desktop.

In reply to: Different processor?

That sort of machine looks to be what a gamer might choose. But the forums are full of people that went down that road. Your top post seemed to want a machine that is not released yet. Now we see what a gamer or video editor may want.

For that, a desktop is best.

Bob

Collapse -
Gaming laptop

In reply to: Maybe this needs a desktop.

I'm looking for a laptop because a portable gaming solution is very appealing to me, so I don't mind paying extra and jumping through a few hoops to get what I want. I only have experience with desktop computers though, so maybe you can tell me what kind of trouble to expect from the laptop I configured, and what to do to get rid of those problems.

By the way, here are the processors I can choose from:

Intel Core i5 520M 2.4GHz (2.93GHz Turbo Mode, 3MB Cache)
Intel Core i5 540M 2.53GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 3MB Cache)
Intel Core i7 720QM 1.6GHz (2.8 GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
Intel Core i7 920XM 2.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)

Collapse -
for today's games.

In reply to: Gaming laptop

It is still the GPU rather than the CPU that sets the game speed.

Why not a simple machine like this one?
-> http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-10429305-269.html

That arrives on the 17th so this is no budget buster either.

Let's see what video GPU and ram it has.

What trouble? You can find that in these forums. Hot laptops, 2 year life span, no battery life, the usual not as stable issues. But you had to have read all that by now.
Bob

Collapse -
New to this forum

In reply to: for today's games.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with laptops as much as I am with desktops, and I don't frequent this forum often, so I'm not aware of the problems others are having (yet).

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how to avoid some of the problems Bob mentioned.

Collapse -
I'll be back.

In reply to: New to this forum

In a few days to comment on that new model that shows up Monday.

Collapse -
Sounds good.

In reply to: I'll be back.

Thanks for the help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!