Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Up to no good again!

by Me, Myself and You / November 5, 2007 1:43 AM PST

I'm itchy to tinker with my iBook once again, and have the materials to do it. Here's the plan:

I have a Windows laptop with a 37GB Samsung Hard Drive, 9.5 MM in height, 2.5inches standard size, 5400 RPM, 8Mb buffer, etc etc etc. Very quiet and been used for just over a year. Here it is: http://www.samsung.com/au/products/harddiskdrive/harddiskdrive/mp0402h.asp

In my iBook is a 10GB toshiba hard drive, 9.55MM in height again, 2.5 inches, 4200 RPM, 1Mb buffer, and very noisy to say the least. Here it is: http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/storage/english/spec/hdd/mk1016.htm

In case you haven't yet guessed, I want to pull the Samsung drive from the Win laptop (that I hardly use anymore) and pop it in the iBook. Then I'm thinking later I will either get a bigger hard drive for the Winbox (or I will use BMF's idea and get Flash card storage) and put Vista on it. But that's beside the point. Does anyone see any problem here or have any caveats? I have not researched properly, yet, whether OS X and 9 are compatible with the drive I intend to put in here, but I will research that. I mainly want to swap it in because of the increased storage size (it will be able to hold all of my music and programs etc etc) and the higher speed. I shouldn't think it will get too hot, although, these clamshells appear to have no fan, and just rely on heat dissipating naturally.

Lastly, if anyone can suggest any free utilities which will let me ghost my drive's current contents onto my external, and then restore onto the new drive, that'd be great. Saves putting all the data back on here and getting all the updates etc etc.

Thanks all, looking forward to hear some suggestions!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Up to no good again!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Up to no good again!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why rip out a drive from a WinBox? It'll be formatted for
by tleMega / November 5, 2007 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: Up to no good again!

Windows one would think, even if you clean it. You'd have to use FireWire Target Mode to run Disk Utility on it I believe. As far as I'm concerned, flash drives would prove to be more stable anyhow for the iBook, and I know they work for it, so why do this? If you plan on opening the iBook up and installing a new drive, a flash drive or two would be worth the effort, even if they're smaller than the other HD, which has a rotating disk like the iBook drive. Then you'd have to replace the Windows laptop drive, and that's no fun either. Bypass the WinBox and save yourself some trouble. Flash is just better and more ideal for the iBook.

I hope you consider all of the ups and downs before you do it ;-).
-BMF

Collapse -
You know what
by Me, Myself and You / November 5, 2007 8:42 PM PST

you are right. Why didn't I think of that in the first place? I shall buy a dual adapter which will allow me to fit in two flash cards (master and slave) and do that.

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction once again...

Collapse -
Uh... You're Welcome I guess.
by tleMega / November 6, 2007 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: You know what

I'm not trying to make anyone do anything that they don't want to, I'm just giving my opinion and proof (or I think it's proof).

If this course suits you best, go for it. Happy to help,
-BMF

Collapse -
Eventually.
by Me, Myself and You / November 6, 2007 6:30 AM PST

Money doesn't grow on trees but I will be upgrading eventually. Probably after Christmas - gifts for my family are more important than for myself.

Collapse -
Likewise.
by tleMega / November 6, 2007 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Eventually.

Maybe you can buy flash drives for their iBooks too LOL. If only they made flash drives in immense sizes. That would be nice. Holiday season ought to bring some good deals on other hardware hopefully. I could use a new display, hmm... a new Windows machine (unfortunately, my HP is operational, but fails to work on WPA security and can't handle XP anymore) or upgrades for my existing one.

If I could run Boot Camp on a PPC Mac, I'd be really happy right now. If Apple or somebody could get it to run on other stuff other than the x86 architecture, PPC would be even better for people looking to switch. Sadly, this is not done, though I'd like to believe that it may come in the future. Unlikely, since my theory is Apple is trying to eliminate PPC and make everyone use Intel, which can be supported by the requirements of Leopard (though that can be avoided) and the dominance of Intel's new products.
-BMF

Collapse -
It's not just size, it's expense
by Me, Myself and You / November 6, 2007 7:56 AM PST
In reply to: Likewise.

Those things are expensive! To get two 16GB Flashcards, it would cost me almost

Collapse -
Wow. Didn't know that they were THAT expensive.
by tleMega / November 6, 2007 8:11 AM PST

Ouch. Well, Windows does have the majority of the world. At least you've been able to pick out what's what for you. Me, I'm a Mac person. Left Windows and glad to have switched, though I'm dependent on Windows everyday :-(. MS did a good job though, got to hand them that.
-BMF

Collapse -
I take it you use Windows at your workplace then...?
by Me, Myself and You / November 6, 2007 8:28 AM PST

I'd see that as a blessing :-]

Collapse -
I do use Windows, but it's not really Windows anymore.
by tleMega / November 6, 2007 11:48 AM PST

Long story. Too much ranting and etc. in it LOL. But yes, I use it every single day. Kind of what prompted me to Mac. I'm happy with my choice, as I guess you can see.
It's not a blessing for me (the machines I work with are terrible and the software... ugh, don't get me started). I really don't mind it though. I've been making the best of it. More reason to appreciate OS X.
Windows on my own machines is okay though. I have my own XP desktops with Pentium III chips, one being my not-so-good 500Mhz machine that needs some maintenance that I have neglected to perform :-0. The HD is trashed (with junk) from the short period of time it was used for iTunes. Oh the horror! It was okay for awhile (this is where the ominous music comes in), but then iTunes 7 happened. Then Macs happened and everything was good again (cheery music!). LOL. I'm quite okay with my systems in the end.
And what do you use? Ubuntu or Millennium? Wink LOL.
-BMF

Collapse -
XP 2000 OS 10 Panther!
by Me, Myself and You / November 6, 2007 8:49 PM PST

^No Linux here. Maybe soon to Vista!

Collapse -
Come on, XP is the best
by tleMega / November 7, 2007 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: XP 2000 OS 10 Panther!

by far. You know I was just kidding (no offense Linux). Why go with Vista? XP is going to live much longer for the time being, and at least it works. I'd wait for Vienna, or Windows 7, or whatever you want to call it because that should be much better. 2010 is a long wait though.

But people who like Vista will like it for their own (and unknown I may add Happy ) reasons. LOL. I bet they wonder why Mac users love OS X, though it's quite easy to figure that one out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?