Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Up date: Hear the rumble of Christian hypocrisy

by Dango517 / January 28, 2010 11:14 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Up date: Hear the rumble of Christian hypocrisy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Up date: Hear the rumble of Christian hypocrisy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't forget the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755 which cause a
by Ziks511 / January 28, 2010 11:28 AM PST

great decline in faith in Europe in the midst of the Enlightenment.

Richard Dawkins writes good well reasoned books, but I find him a little shrill, even though I agree with him.

Rob

Collapse -
They'll be hell to pay for this one
by Dango517 / January 28, 2010 11:35 AM PST

"great decline in faith in Europe in the midst of the Enlightenment."

Tommorows news head line, "Ice age sweeps across europe".

Collapse -
The author doesn't seem to know the meaning
by James Denison / January 28, 2010 6:02 PM PST

Not the meaning of the word hypocrisy. Maybe he's not a native speaker? Maybe he's just ignorant? How does the word hypocrisy apply to someone following their faith, as he admits they are?

Collapse -
Monday morning quarterbacking.
by Angeline Booher / January 29, 2010 12:22 AM PST

Most of us are guilty of it. However, we watch football and know, at least, the fundamental rules and principles of plays. We know that hole-in-one, home run, or 3 point play are not football terms. But none of us feel qualified to successfully coach either team in the Super Bowl

Dawkins, a prominent much admired scientist and educator is a leader in his fields of expertise. However, this does not qualify him to coach Believers. He knows some terms, knows some well-known players, and talks the talk.

However, he cannot be objective, or walk the walk because as a Non-Believer, his opinions are subjective, That is because, IMO, the beliefs of a Non-Believer are just as subjective as those of a Believer. Thus his faith in his beliefs are as strong as that of the Faith of Believers.

Yet he felt qualified to critique the reactions of Believers to "one of their own". His celebrity is what prompted his proselytizing being published.

Angeline

Collapse -
Thanks for censoring my replies..
by EdHannigan / January 29, 2010 12:36 AM PST

There's always the chance that something will be said.

That article was, IN MY OPINION, full of misstatements and hatred against Christians and religious people. Some examples:

The religious mind, however, hubristically appropriates the blind happenings of physics for petty moralistic purposes.

Loathsome as Robertson?s views undoubtedly are, he is the Christian who stands squarely in the Christian tradition.

Among all the ideas ever to occur to a nasty human mind (Paul?s of course), the Christian ?atonement? would win a prize for pointless futility as well as moral depravity.

Even without the stark heartlessness of Pat Robertson, tragedies like Haiti are meat and drink to the theological mind.

Get it?

Collapse -
Get what?
by Angeline Booher / January 29, 2010 1:01 AM PST

That everything is about you?

Angeline

Collapse -
What a stupid, nasty comment...
by EdHannigan / January 29, 2010 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: Get what?

As usual.

Collapse -
stupid, nasty comment?
by jonah jones / January 29, 2010 11:41 AM PST

from Angeline?? and you add "as usual"??

WOW!!

that's rich!, coming from someone who has made it a hobby to be
as nasty as possible toward certain members

coming from someone who has adopted 'obnoxious' as his trade mark

coming from someone who is so intent on getting rid of certain members
that he couldn't see the ridiculousness of alerting on this as an
"Offensive Post"

Ed....whoever is forging your reality checks is doing a lousy job

Collapse -
Yes, as usual.
by EdHannigan / January 29, 2010 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: stupid, nasty comment?

If you were paying attention you'd know something. But you're not, so you don't.

'obnoxious' as his trade mark HA! YOU should talk!!!!

Speaking of lousy job, Jonah... YOU.

Bye.

Collapse -
Nice hijack though.
by EdHannigan / January 29, 2010 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Yes, as usual.

Was I wrong? Did either of you address the subject of my post?

That article was, IN MY OPINION, full of misstatements and hatred against Christians and religious people. Some examples:

The religious mind, however, hubristically appropriates the blind happenings of physics for petty moralistic purposes.

Loathsome as Robertson?s views undoubtedly are, he is the Christian who stands squarely in the Christian tradition.

Among all the ideas ever to occur to a nasty human mind (Paul?s of course), the Christian ?atonement? would win a prize for pointless futility as well as moral depravity.

Even without the stark heartlessness of Pat Robertson, tragedies like Haiti are meat and drink to the theological mind.

Get it?

Try thinking a little, instead of making the usual snide remarks.

Collapse -
Maybe true but ......
by Dango517 / January 29, 2010 5:29 PM PST

if your argument applied across the board, Speakeasy would shut down tomorrow and we would have little or nothing to say to each other. None of us are qualified to speak, well very few that is and those that are, are in doubt. Happy No offence intended.

Collapse -
Nope, I was referring to Dawkins
by Angeline Booher / January 29, 2010 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe true but ......

....... because I thought his words illustrated he has no insight into those who profess to be Believers. IMO, being an expert on a number of subjects does not mean one is an expert on everything.

Angeline

Collapse -
Anorter must-read....
by EdHannigan / January 29, 2010 1:05 PM PST

Answer to Dawkins' hate piece:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/georgepitcher/100024264/poor-old-richard-dawkins-has-really-lost-the-plot/

Our old chum Professor Richard Dawkins really loses it in The Times today. It?s not so much his weary, worn and poorly researched line that?s so funny anymore ? there?s an earthquake in Haiti, people suffer, some mad religious people say it?s God?s judgment, so there?s no God and Christians are hypocrites. It?s the sheer, swivel-eyed, foam-flecked delivery that?s becoming hilarious.

Dear old Dawky clearly can?t bear that he?s been banging on now for so long that he?s proved that there?s no God and faith in him is silly and nobody much is taking a blind bit of notice of him. So he?s become really shrill: ?You nice, middle-of-the-road theologians and clergymen, be-frocked and bleating in your pulpits,? he rants, before putting himself in a pulpit thus: ?Where was God in Noah?s flood? He was systematically drowning the entire world, animal as well as human, as punishment for ?sin?. Where was God when Sodom and Gomorrah were consumed with fire and brimstone? He was deliberately barbecuing the citizenry, lock, stock and barrel, as punishment for ?sin?.?

"swivel-eyed, foam-flecked delivery" That's a good one!

Collapse -
George Pitcher...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 7:25 PM PST
In reply to: Anorter must-read....

He is the writer of that article.

"George Pitcher is Religion Editor of Telegraph Media. He is an Anglican priest and serves his ministry at St Bride's, Fleet Street, in London ? the "journalists' church".

I would expect nothing else from a man of the cloth who is also a reporter. An interesting combination. I bet his sermons are full of joy and happiness.

Mark

Collapse -
I thought it was an apt description ...
by Bill Osler / January 29, 2010 7:33 PM PST
In reply to: George Pitcher...

I haven't seen Dawkins' latest hatefest, but from what I have seen I'd say the writer of the article pretty much nailed the description.

Collapse -
Was he wrong?
by EdHannigan / January 29, 2010 8:36 PM PST
In reply to: George Pitcher...

Did you read Dawkins' piece? Was it not a tirade of hate?

If anything Pitchers' response was too reserved.

Is it okay to post hate screeds here now?

Collapse -
i read both articles
by jonah jones / January 29, 2010 9:15 PM PST
In reply to: Was he wrong?

you may not have noticed that Pitcher didn't actually take
him to task for what he said, merely A: the way he said it
and B: he's been saying it for so long, nobody wants to
hear it any more

Collapse -
Dodging?
by EdHannigan / January 29, 2010 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: i read both articles

Is Dawkin's piece NOT filled with hatered against Christians and religious people?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?