HolidayBuyer's Guide

Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Up converting DVDs PS3 vs Xbox 360

by HBK180 / May 26, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

I own an Xbox 360 and will soon buy a PS3. I know both consoles will up convert a normal DVD via Hdmi signal. I was wondering if anyone knows what console is better at up converting normal DVDs?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Up converting DVDs PS3 vs Xbox 360
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Up converting DVDs PS3 vs Xbox 360
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shouldn't matter
by Jimmy Greystone / May 27, 2008 12:28 AM PDT

It shouldn't matter which console you use. They're both going to be using the same source disc, and probably even the same chips to do the upscaling. Even if they both used their own proprietary software method, I would expect the difference to be minimal if all you're doing is a direct conversion. However, the PS3 has a bit more power for doing post-processing effects to try and enhance the picture more. I have absolutely no idea if this is included in the PS3 firmware or not, so it may be a purely academic discussion.

In the end though, you can get standalone DVD players that will upscale regular DVDs for less than $100US. I got a refurb model from Onkyo tossed in for free with a home theater system I bought from them not too long ago. Upscaling DVD players are nothing special, and just about every DVD player out there does it now to try and maintain some relevance before all anyone wants are blu-ray players. The drives on your game consoles, however, are the only drives out there that will play games for that particular console. You can always put a DVD into any upscaling player, but you can't just pop a 360 or PS3 game into the same player and have it work.

Optical drives DO wear out, and often a lot faster than you might think. So, if you ask me, game consoles should be left as emergency backup players. Something happens to your main player, it breaks, and you can't get to the store for a couple of days to buy a new one. Stand alone DVD players will tend to always be commodity, dime a dozen, products. Game consoles will always be unique and far more expensive. I'd rather spend the finite life of my console's unique (and expensive) optical drive playing games, not watching movies.

Collapse -
Just try
by johnisnotcool / June 17, 2008 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Shouldn't matter

Like he said they should be pretty close to each other. You can get a upconverting dvd player for as little as 40 bucks now. But not worth paying for if you have a working dvd player now. There honestly just isn't that much of a difference.

Collapse -
The PS3
by BeeboMD / July 3, 2008 12:05 AM PDT

The PS3 has a blu-ray player built right in so even though you don't stick a blu-ray disk in you still will probably get a better picture and nicer sound that the Xbox 360.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.