Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Unzipping

I have downloaded a small utility program, in came as a zipped folder. When I go into the folder and double click the .exe file it says all the associated files need to be extracted, which I say OK to. But the program does not run. When I extract do the extracted files need to go into a normal folder as opposed to that same zipped folder?
What am I doing wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unzipping
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unzipping
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A, Yes, Extract Them To A Normal Folder

In reply to: Unzipping

It sounds like you're using Windows XP. If so, simply create a new folder on your desktop by RIGHT clicking on the desktop, choose "New", then choose "Folder". A new folder will be created there. Now go to the Zipped folder, open it, then extract ALL files and folders to the "New Folder". You should then be able to run the .exe file inside.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: A, Yes, Extract Them To A Normal Folder

I'll give that a try. (I using Win ME, but when I right click I have extract as an option.)

Collapse -
A zipped folder is not as expected

When you double-click a zip file you "see" what appears as a folder, but in reality it is just a temporary vision, to give you an idea of what files are in the the zip file.
You can not expect that you can use the contained files as if they were in a real folder.

Your action, clicking the .exe file, has told you that the other required support files also in the zip file are not in a real folder as well, thus the message that says "the associated files need to be extracted"

So, just when you open the zip file, and if you see something inside that requires more than just one of the contained files to work correctly, just create a real folder and place all the required files (from the zip "folder") into that real folder. Then do your thing, that is, in this case, clicking on the .exe will find those support files and work properly.

You clicking the [OK] button was just your confirmation of the message, not the 'OK' to extract all the files to some place.

------ (stop reading if you don't care) -----------
The reason I am being sort of cryptic and NOT being DEFINITIVE in saying that you must always extract all the contained files to do whatever it is that those files are for, is that:
1) a zipped collection of document files do not necessarily require any of the other files to properly read any one of the document.
2) some setup.exe files zipped with other files may not require those other files to properly install the item you have zipped (the setup file could be already a full package). Those other files may not be needed for installing.

Collapse -
Thanks, I appreciated the details.

In reply to: A zipped folder is not as expected

And your willingness to share/educate others!

Have a great day!

Collapse -
Aharton.. if you still don't understand..

In reply to: Thanks, I appreciated the details.

You might try going here http://www.idf50.co.uk/dm6.htm Scroll down the page and you will see instructions for WinXP. It is a very basic "how to".. picture's and all!

Good Luck

Collapse -
Also, be careful...

opening downloaded zip files from the internet. I'm a newbie myself and I don't quite understand how this happenned but I also downloaded a small utility program that came in a zip file. I scanned the zip file before I opened it and it indicated "no vrus found". But when I extracted the files inside, my resident shield popped up with a virus warning. I deleted the whole thing. And I no longer even open downloaded zip files.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.