Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unwanted Updates

How do I remove an automatic update that's been downloaded but not installed, and block it from being downloaded again in the future?
I had installed SP3 for IE6, but it caused problems, interfered with my burners, etc., so I restored to just prior to the instalation.
But now it's been downloaded again, and although I unchecked it under "custom install", I now find it's trying to install it everytime I go to turn off or reboot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unwanted Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unwanted Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Short answer: You can't

In reply to: Unwanted Updates

Short answer: You can't. Microsoft is going to keep pushing SP3 on account of it being chock full of security fix goodness.

If you installed it, and it caused problems, it's most likely due to malware damage. Since you use IE, and IE6 at that, it's practically a given that your system is crawling with malware. That would be probably the single biggest cause of problems with service packs.

Collapse -
How to remove a pending install.

Look at using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

That takes care of an install that is pending that you want to dismiss.

As to configuring Windows Update that's Windows 101 and is very doable. I'm not going to duplicate ready web content or write the step by step.
Bob

Collapse -
unwanted SP3

In reply to: How to remove a pending install.

hello jamfan. There is no troubles waiting for you in SP3. I received it preinstalled on an OEM disk I purchased. Have seen no problems. I would wait for IE8 though. Still in Beta and has some bugs.

Collapse -
Why wait?

In reply to: unwanted SP3

Why wait for what is likely just going to be another iteration of the same insecure browser? Especially when the bulk of the new features are already in Firefox, which also happens to be quite a bit more secure. Not perfect, but you're comparing total system compromise with IE to just the one app being compromised with Firefox. IE also tends to deal in bulk when it comes to security issues. Doesn't really seem like much of a choice. You can get the majority of the benefits today with Firefox, and virtually none of the drawbacks.

Collapse -
Not compatible

In reply to: Why wait?

Unfortunately, my ISP's software only works with IE. Otherwise, I already have and use Firefox whenever possible.

Collapse -
IE vs FF

In reply to: Why wait?

hello Jimmy Greystone. Yes, IE does have more concerns than Firefox, but its also a bigger target. Firefox is good,no doubt. But there are a lot of sites that don't play very nice with it. Those you need IE6 or 7

Collapse -
No Thanks

In reply to: unwanted SP3

Everything works just fine with IE6. Why screw things up with "improvements" that make things worse? I don't have time to deal with it - Better to not try to fix what isn't broken. I don't need extra user accounts I'll never use, proprietary BS, or being serepticiously forced to upgrade.

Collapse -
I'm in sympathy with this problem

I looaded SP-3 Beta then Sp-3. had odd problems to the point that I reloaded my computer and also SP-3. More problems. Next time, I Formatted, with XP then loaded SP-2, SP-3 before anything else. Problems still. This time I formatted, loaded SP-2 and have SP-3 downloaded but I will NOT install it.So far, no problems.

Collapse -
IE8

In reply to: I'm in sympathy with this problem

hello jamfan. Just back fro trip and saw recent responses. When I said "Wait for IE8", I did NOT mean that you should get it. I did try it and immediately rolled back to IE7. With IE8, I could not even access Windows Update page. Would get to page, address and toolbar at top, but rest of page plain white(no text or graphics). Same with some other sites. IE8 still has some BIG bugs.Sorry if you misunderstood.Should have worded response a little better.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.