Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

unwanted old installs popping up

by abenas66 / January 1, 2005 3:25 PM PST

It seems the newest version of Windows has created a new host of problems around old installation programs running at unwanted times. Each time I start any Office app., Norton Systemworks makes me cancel an installation update multiple times and now attempting to install PC Anywhere fails completely because of an old ATI driver Setup program running instead.

I realize this junk is probably lying deep in Documents and Settings somewhere but I've been unable to track them down.

Why do vendors store their old trash on our hard drives without even bothering to ask? I would not choose to allow it; I don't care if temp files are an old convention; I don't want them.

Anyway, the question really is ... how do I eliminate the interfering installation programs? Is there any single or simple answer?

Please, nothing vague like "look for the temp files and delete them", because I've already spent considerable time attempting to find said files.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: unwanted old installs popping up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: unwanted old installs popping up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE
by viperone / January 1, 2005 3:37 PM PST
Collapse -
Problem not understood
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 6:38 PM PST

Abenas,

I am not clear from your post what the problem is you are having. Your profile says that your computer knowledge is advanced, and so I expect that you are fully profficient with using Windows Explorer, and the Control Panel applet Add/Remove Programs.

If that is the case, then why would you suppose that "junk" is lying deep in your Documents and Settings folders? You will know that, unless you specify otherwise when installing a program, it will install under it's own sub-folder in the default location of the Program Files folder .

I expect you have already used Windows Explorer to examine your hard drive contents, and have used the Add/Remove Programs applet to remove any unwanted programs you have. I also expect you know that using Add/Remove, or using a programs own Uninstall program doesn't always remove the entire contents of a program. Some junk may remain in the progam's folders that you will need to delete manually using Windows Explorer.

Can you please explain more about Office and Norton Systemworks? You say that each time you start any Office application, (I take that to mean Microsoft Word, or Excel, or Access, or PowerPoint, or FrontPage), Norton Systemworks makes you cancel an installation update. What installation update? How does Nortons SW make you cancel the update? What is the connection between opening an Office application and Nortons SW cancelling an installation update? What error messages do you get?

You say that now attempting to install PC Anywhere fails completely because of an old ATI driver setup program running instead. How do you know? What error messages do you get to link the two?

What junk files are you looking for? Norton Systemworks? ATI driver setup programs?

You mention the newest version of Windows. What newest version? Windows XP? If so that has been out for some years now. Or do you mean the upgrade to SP2?

You have said you do not want anything vague like, "look for temp files and delete them", so the information below is probably duplicating what you have already done.

Goto Start > Search, and search your local disk for tmp files and folders. Make sure you search for hidden files and folders as well.

Then when that search is complete, goto Start > Search again, and open up a new search window, to look for temp files and folders.

In these two windows you will have listed all files and folders with tmp or temp in their name, and you can then consider each one individually.

You ask if there is any single or simple answer. As I am not sure what the underlying problem is, I can't say, but I suspect there is no simple or single answer.

Mark

Collapse -
by abenas66 / January 1, 2005 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Problem not understood

Hey, Mark. Thanks for your thoughtful response. I apologize for not giving more precise detail but I wasn't sure it was worth the effort since frequently it's difficult to know if anyone will take you seriously or have any thoughts whatsoever on your problem.

I am using Windows XP professional Service Pack Two and this latest version is the one that seems to have the problem.

What seems to be happening is that either:

1) Previous install/setup programs are leaving themselves in some "default" location and a certain action will trigger them to run as if the end-user had requested an install/change/remove.
OR
2) Something is triggering the uninstall/modify routine for that application, without my running it.

In the first instance (an annoyance but not a major problem), when I run Word or Excel, the uninstall/remove routine for Norton Antivirus (of Systemworks Premier 2005) comes up.

More precisely, an information dialog box pops up in the middle of the screen entitled "Windows Installer" which says, "Preparing to Install", with a Cancel button. This is followed immediately by another dialog directly on top of it, entitled, "Norton Antivirus 2005", which says, "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support the repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall."

After I press OK, my Office application will open, but the prompt may come up 3 consecutive times before I can get it to go away.

What really prompted me to go to the forum though was this thing with the ATI setup running instead of PC Anywhere setup. Using Add/Remove I run the setup program for Norton PC Anywhere, and everything is going smoothly up until the point when it begins to execute, then suddenly INSTEAD OF the PC Anywhere setup running, the ATI display driver installation program runs and not the PC Anywhere setup. I do have the ATI drivers installed on my system. I know for a fact that the ATI routine uses a self-extracting zip, which gets unpacked to a predetermined location and then executed. My assumption is that, for whatever reason, the setup at this location is being run because it's in some default "Windows Installer" location but who knows.

It's really frustrating. I can't install PC Anywhere on this computer. I guess I'll try removing the ATI stuff altogether next and see what happens then.

Collapse -
Hi abenas
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 2, 2005 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: reply

It seems to me you may have a corrupted Windows Installer .

Have a look at these 3 threads below.

Although not exactly your problem, they may give you clues what to do. You may have to get to know your Event Log Viewer, which can be found by right clicking the My Computer icon on your desktop, selecting "Manage", and under System Tools on the left selecting an Event Viewer.

The links are;

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=44724&messageID=528437

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?s=f46c605c0b01ddb00bcf037f11b26ac1&t=125197&goto=nextnewest

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6127-0.html?forumID=9&threadID=51382&messageID=611997

Good luck

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?