HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unwanted non genuine XP Professional

by knigpa / November 19, 2006 2:31 AM PST

My father had his PC fixed and the person loaded a non genuine XP Professional onto his PC (he can just about use a PC let alone Professional). Non Genuine warning messages are causing him stress and worry.

Can I uninstall XP Prof and reload his XP Home without losing all his pictures etc. He only has a recovery disc but I have installation disk. Can I use my installation disc and his XP Home Product identification. Or is there more to it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unwanted non genuine XP Professional
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unwanted non genuine XP Professional
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Frankly the first step is to backup the photos.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 2:34 AM PST

If you do any other procedure, then the pictures are at risk.

After that you can try the restore CDs and see if they offer an option to save files.

-> Did you complain to the store that did this?

Bob

Collapse -
Non genuine XP Professional
by knigpa / November 19, 2006 2:38 AM PST

Unfortunately it was a friend of a friend, and a lesson learnt.

Will everything else need to be reinstalled like AOL etc after.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2006 2:49 AM PST

It's an old issue and deeply discussed here. I won't repeat the full discussion but often you get to start over. It all depends on how good the restore CD is.

And you can't install XP Home on top of or replace XP Pro with XP Home because Microsoft programmed that to not be allowed.

Bob

Collapse -
Will everything else need to be reinstalled like AOL etc aft
by glb613 / November 19, 2006 2:50 AM PST

Yes. And don't forget to save what you don't want to lose.

Collapse -
If you have a burner, you can save a lot, ITEMS you may save
by DarCLew2 / November 19, 2006 4:04 AM PST

I hve AOL, and the Favorites you want can be saved on floppy using WordPad - put them by the link, save on a floppy. Other items, can be gotten in one link: http://www.filehippo.com/. Yes, you have to reinstall AOL & windows updates too but if you have the Service Pack 2 CD, (anyone will do), it will be an asset.
You may require registration numbers for WINXP Home, WinZip, Nero, etc. So you should have those. I have the others copied to a zip drive before they were opened (takes up less space). There is something I could find here about the "magic jellybean" to get the WINXP registration number.
I noticed that the reg numbers for WinZip, NERO can be gotten using this: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Belarc_Advisor_d1385.html
Another item comes from [MG] also is EasyCleaner at: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download414.html/ You can email aprivate message from my DarCLew2 and it will say cnet.com. I do remove some items from AOL like AOL Toolbar, AOL Spyware, You Got Pictures Screensaver. Items listed under ALL Programs-America Online 9.0 that are not needed & how to stop some items in Quicktime. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Real simply
by jackson dougless / November 19, 2006 3:28 AM PST

It's impossible to say for sure how the restore disks will work. So back up anything you don't want to lose beforehand. If you wind up not needing them, you're out some time and maybe a few CDs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.