HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Unwanted Internet Connections during boot.

by rodalsa / September 25, 2004 8:42 PM PDT

I run Windows 98se with Norton Internet Security 2003 and its included NAV. I also have TaskInfo 2003. There are two items in my Task Scheduler. They are Symantec NetDetect and Windows Update.

I am plagued by what appears to be Internet access attempts during boot that occur before NIS has been loaded and activated. I manually approve all Internet connections except Seti@Home.

Windows is loading. The system tray has started to fill. The Task Scheduler is the first icon showing. Up pops the Internet Connection dialog.

If I do not cancel the dialog the boot process runs up to the point at which the NIS icons appear in the system tray and stops (without the NIS icons showing). If I then cancel the dialog the NIS icons appear in their normal sequence.

If I immediately cancel the dialog I must do so for up to 18 appearances of the dialog. After the last cancel the boot process finishes with the addition of the NIS icons.

I have used TaskInfo 2003 to determine that it is Norton that is behind this weird behavior. I have queried Symantec via email twice over the last year about this. They have ignored me.

Does anyone know if I should be as concerned as I am about this apparent attempt to connect to the Internet before Windows/NIS tells me that NIS is active on my computer?

rod

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Unwanted Internet Connections during boot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Unwanted Internet Connections during boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Unwanted Internet Connections during boot.
by Cursorcowboy / September 25, 2004 10:14 PM PDT

When a modem is installed and the AutoDial feature is enabled, any Winsock-aware application installed can make access to the Internet, which can be circumvented by setting the Never dial a connection to Null (unchecked) in Internet Explorer (Tools, Internet Options, Connection tab). If you rather not, it is entirely up to you to read the documentation included with installed programs to ascertain which may have features set to automatically check for updated components or Web pages and configure them so they do not start automatically. If you decide to disable this feature and then want Internet access, connect by using the Microsoft Network desktop icon or the icon for your Internet service provider (ISP), and then start Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2004 10:40 PM PDT

There is an issue that NIS/Symantec does start to show such behaviour as it nears the end (months in advance!) of it's license period.

Bob

Collapse -
by rodalsa / September 27, 2004 12:27 AM PDT

Ah so! Perhaps this is the source. My subscription ends on 11/15/04 and it has been some months since I became plagued with this problem.

Before I do anything else I will monitor the problem across the renewal time.

I'll try to remember to get back with the conclusion.

Rod

Collapse -
by jhall49 / October 8, 2004 12:23 PM PDT

This is normal behavior for Norton Antivirus. It is looking to connect and upgrade your anti-virus files, and it will ask over and over again to connect to the internet. Your Norton software is starting up and doing an antivirus check during boot up. I found it to be annoying until I let it do it thing. At first I thought it was a virus trying to connect to the internet, but it is just Norton's software. After I checked into things I found that you are ok to let it connect, no harm will happen to your computer. I had the Exact same thing going on with my system!

I was very worried about this when it started happening to my computer a year or so ago and I did the research to make sure that my answer to you is correct.
I wouldn't disable this feature, just know that it is normal and an ok feature of Norton Anti-Virus.
Note: this will stop happening to you once you let the Norton software perform as it is designed.

Jon

Collapse -
by reesie / October 15, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

I have same problem with norton 2004 and I don't like it connecting to internet until I'm ready to connect. How do you disable this feature? I've tried disabling everything and rebooting, but nothing I do seems to stop it. It's very annoying.

Collapse -
by rodalsa / November 5, 2004 10:32 PM PST

It has been more than a couple of days. I have other issues.

Since my original post I have formatted my C: drive, installed Windos 98se, all of the updates I could find and my most used software suites.

In the process the problem reappeared for a short while. Recently it is not present.

Bottom line--- Who knows why? I could not discern any particular cause for the problem.

Thanks for the comments that I received. It galls me to leave an issue like this unsolved.

This closes this thread as far as I am concerned.

Rod

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.